Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Conspiracy theorists

105 posts in this topic

They are the ones that past the laws allowing single ownership of more markets and more outlets within the same market. Of course, the argument used the internet as the reason this should be allowed. Thing is, the majority of people don't trust the internet as much as they do print and broadcast media sources.

Now back to the pot question. I will give you another hint: William Randolph Hearst.

I play along: Hemp. Paper. Print media.

Now back to Mr Hearst. Seems he and his buddies had huge timber holdings that would go bust if one of the strongest and most renewable fibers known to man were allowed to become a public commodity. This fiber could be used for anything from paper to textiles to pressed particle board.

Well, this fiber comes from the hemp plant (a rather THC poor cousin to the more popular varieties).

Mr. Hearst pulled his weight in the Republican political circles and got not only the good stuff outlawed, but the growing of hemp as well. This assured him and his buddies of not losing money on their timber holdings.

He used his press to promote the evils of pot (and hemp) enough to sway public opinion. He even financed Reefer Madness with his buddies at DuPont.

As for Republicans controlling the media?

Slight correction, the media is controlled by money. The same money that controls both democrats and republicans, but prefers the latter.

@eurovol - So your point is that NPR and VOA are somehow relevant and that some outed White House reporter has single-handedly wrested control of the entire media conglomerate in the U.S.?

Of course the media in Russia might as well be Putin's blog, but Russia's a lot smaller than the Soviet Union was.

And so Murdoch is the new Hearst. There have been media titans since there were newspapers. And those titans have always had biases. It's still not relevant -- the state of things today is that the media is held accountable by people, like you, who are active on the internet.

At no point in history have individuals been able to spread news and force the mainstream media to report events that would otherwise receive scant attention.

There is a revolution going on and you are a part of it. Don't underestimate the impact of yourself and others like you.

Point taken and point given. I guess the latter are more easily bought as evidenced by the recent wave of scandals involving golf trips to Scottland, Halliburton and bribery for favors. Just a few more CTs to add to the mix.

As long as politicians contol the flow of money, money will (try to) flow their way. Some will be bought, some influenced unwittingly, some not.

No political party is immune.

I have to run now, but I want to add a quick apology regarding my initial post. I don't really think anyone here is mentally ill. Misguided maybe, but I took it a bit too far.

That proves it, you are just a whacko conspiracy nutcase ... the congress, an elected body of representatives in a democratic country conspiring to eliminate independent media - thats completely preposterous!

Right you are but don't waste your breath. eurovol and his kind are the reason Democrats lose elections.

At no point in history have individuals been able to spread news and force the mainstream media to report events that would otherwise receive scant attention.

There is a revolution going on and you are a part of it. Don't underestimate the impact of yourself and others like you.

That I agree with wholeheartedly and things are changing for the better because of the internet. As stated previously, the PNAC knows this all too well. The media revolution is here and I wouldn't put it past certain operatives at the top to feed bad info to the best of the best in order to discredit them. That is about the only weapon they have that would guarantee results quickly. The leaked info that Rove was to be indicted comes to mind. Caused a huge credibility dent in one of the most respected internet media sources.

Right you are but don't waste your breath. eurovol and his kind are the reason Democrats lose elections.

You must have missed November 2006 then? :blink:

Ok one more quick comment -- the Rove indictment 'leak', if it was that, would be the sort of tactic that mainstream media have always had to deal with. It is one of the reasons they have stricter controls about substantiating what they print. Blogs are young and still learning these valuable lessons.

Strangely enough, The Drudge Report actually opened the faucets. Now everyone wants the big breaking news so they can actually make a living off the net doing their thing too. Leaking bad news is like trolling for who bites first amongst the top competitors in this market.

Valid points, also lets not forget 24 rolling news has put immense preasure on news stations to be the first in times of trouble (often leading to wild claims based on hearsay and rumour), and sensationalising any scrap when there is nothing on in the world.

Guess i should know better then using dry sarcasm here by now ... somehow i keep making the same mistake. But then, it might be some german humour problem ;)

This fucking guy! I mean, really? Will Jones ever find his brain? :angry:

"I'm not gonna kick off a conspiracy theory here, but..."

So according to Alex Jones, Carrie Fisher was killed by the "Hollywood Mafia."

Blimey, GoodBob! That´s worth its own conspiracy thread...after 9 years, you post on  that thread?:lol:

Just like Toytown threads, some conspiracies never die, john. For instance, the JFK assassination conspiracy theories are still going after fifty-three years now. ;)

I recently visited an old friend of mine, we go way back, and she has gone way down the rabbit hole, so to speak. She's anti vaccine, questions whether the earth is flat or hollow, believes sandy Hook never happened, gets angry about the women's march, black lives matter, benghazi emails, the Clinton's, etc. (for reasons that sound really confusing and nefarious) Believes everything is a false flag attack, the twin towers were demolished, aliens and or Zionists run the world and on and on and on. I just don't get any of it and a lot of it makes me uncomfortable because it often seems to have racist or antisemitic undertones to it. I'm also curious as to why some people are so quick to latch onto to such ideas, even when there is little evidence, it would mean almost everyone would have to be in on the cover up and there is a risk of pushing away friends and family. Thoughts? 

27 minutes ago, coyote3000 said:

I recently visited an old friend of mine, we go way back, and she has gone way down the rabbit hole, so to speak. She's anti vaccine, questions whether the earth is flat or hollow, believes sandy Hook never happened, gets angry about the women's march, black lives matter, benghazi emails, the Clinton's, etc. (for reasons that sound really confusing and nefarious) Believes everything is a false flag attack, the twin towers were demolished, aliens and or Zionists run the world and on and on and on. I just don't get any of it and a lot of it makes me uncomfortable because it often seems to have racist or antisemitic undertones to it. I'm also curious as to why some people are so quick to latch onto to such ideas, even when there is little evidence, it would mean almost everyone would have to be in on the cover up and there is a risk of pushing away friends and family. Thoughts? 

Why indeed? I just Googled and got some ideas:

Psychology Today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/talking-apes/201801/why-do-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories

Time:'Why do smart people still believe in conspiracy theories?' http://time.com/5023383/conspiracy-theories-reasons-believe/

Scientific American: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-some-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories/

The Conversation: http://theconversation.com/why-people-believe-in-conspiracy-theories-and-how-to-change-their-minds-82514

The Web seems to have a lot on offer on this topic!

1 hour ago, coyote3000 said:

I'm also curious as to why some people are so quick to latch onto to such ideas, even when there is little evidence, it would mean almost everyone would have to be in on the cover up and there is a risk of pushing away friends and family. Thoughts? 

For the same reason why some people are religious: they need purpose in life.

Conspiracy theories are answer to the crisis of religion. When you realize there is no God, and your life has no sense. You will die, and only ashes remain after you. And then someone comes and explains why your life between the coach and beer shop is so miserable, that there is some external force which makes it miserable. Then everything including your miserable life suddenly makes sense, and you feel better.

Those of you who will note that religious people can also believe in conspiracy theories: they lie to themselves they are religious. They go to the church just because everyone does. They do not understand what the priest says. They do not believe in God.