Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Conspiracy theorists

68 posts in this topic

Sometimes I wish I had studied psychiatry. There is obviously a common theme among those who need to believe in outlandish and impossibly complex theories to explain otherwise straightforward events. The thing that really astounds me is that these people do not appear to have learning disabilities nor do they exhibit other signs of retardation, and yet they would rather believe that dozens or hundreds of coincidences all occured simultaneously rather than accept far simpler explanations.

I bet they get that same feeling I do when I buy a lottery ticket when there's a huge jackpot: I just know deep down that I'm going to win, despite the fact that I'm more likely to be run over truck in my living room while waiting for the number drawing.

Any professional (or semi-pro or amatuer) psychologists or psychiatrists out there with ideas?

I think that painting all people who have ever considered the possiblity of a conspiracy as a nut-case is a knee-jerk 'main-stream' attitude. It's just plain stupid to think there has never been a conspiracy. Enough have proven to be true. Watergate, for example.

Its good that some people question things and so it should be, but some people are unreal. I think you can see that someone has a bit of a problem when once what they believe to be the proof of a conspiracy is disproved they switch to the next item along the chain until they get all the way down to “my dads cat stayed in the house when it normally goes out so someone must have told it

Its good that some people question things and so it should be

True, but the difference between a good and honest inquisitive mind, and the other type is the ability to accept the answers to those questions.

Kay, watergate came out after credible evidence was delivered from a credible and reliable source (washington post if Iremember correctly). Not an ex fast-food-frier drop out and a professor in philosophy!

Interesting opener Freiheit. Not sure if you need to see a psychiatrist yourself.

Personally (and without the aid of Google or Wiki or what ever such means, ie. just relying on the only noddle I have), I would say that, yes, coming up with a full theory to explain an event maybe pushing the boat out a little. But remember, it is only somebody's theory whatever it is, and like any belief, they are entitled to it. Denial of facts and the existence of unanswered questions is just as bad a (to quote your good self) "mental illness". The brain gathers information and tries to make logic of that information. Sometimes that information is incomplete, and sometimes it is false... leading to the wrong picture being constructed from the jigsaw pieces. Then we have the foreknowledge of history. I would say that I have a fairly reasonable command of British history since 1964. Here, you only have to read the British Governments 30-year paper releases to realise instantly and with absolutely zero room for doubt, that the things they said on the day, when whatever event was occurring, in at least half the cases, make them a bunch of utter and total liars, cheats and misfits. To deny this would also be a "mental illness", would it not?

Again, personally I am sick and tired of 911. Around 3,000 people died on the day and the World tumbled to new lows on the next. Lie after lie after lie was used to start a conflict in Iraq. Any evidence was shovelled up like lightning and got the hell away from the possibility of investigation. Treasonable offences were committed. In the good old days they would have hung a politician for treason. Now all they want to do is impeach... which, let's face it, is about as weak a punishment as one can possibly get. I don't know what happened on 911, and to be perfectly honest with you, I am fast approaching CONDITION Couldn't Give A Shit Anymore.

wish i had posted BBC reported WTC7 collapse before it happened here, seems to be the more approbiate thread.

Heck, i just will repost it here as that other thread is well detoriated by now:

This discussion shows all traits of a religious war. Obviously everyone seems to believe in some kind of conspiracy theory. However, there are different schools of thought. There are the Roman Catholics that think everything was precisely like it is described in the book and interpreted by the church. Then there are those that think that it wasnt all literally like the book says and that indeed the church has a certain record of sins herself, but although the church changed it a number of times, the story is pretty much correct ( the one that the church claimed to be true the last time they yhenged something). Lets call them protestants. Then theres that other group that is convinced that book is a codex of common sense and the church may or may not be right, the agnostics. then the guys that believe that the book is mostly a fabrication, its common sense slanted and and the church pretty much wrote (varying degrees of) it themselves and use it to to justify their actions and very existence, these would be the atheists. Others yet think that the book is pretty much correct, only it tells just the first part of the story. Thats the muslim school of thought...

I guess i am somewhere between the atheists and the agnostics.

Either way, no one here operates with scientific proof or evidence, no one has yet pointed out a falsification criteria for his favored theory, and (and thats the deal wink.gif ) there can be no falsification criteria any way. (I for one would be conviced that hes lying when GWB would publicly admit that he planned it wink.gif )

In other words: this is the perfect battlefield for the old "my truth is better then yours and you are stupid because you cant see it"- game.

Our society is designed for conspiracy.

Truth is the invention of a great lier.

Well said, Sin. I couldnt agree more. I am especially bothered by fellas who think that 911 was some evil Bush-clan conspiracy and then go ahead believing every word the government or financial times have to say about the current economic situation and its root causes or the need for a new defense system ... Like its all going to be fair, good and true again as soon as we get rid of the evil bushies :rolleyes:

Interesting opener Freiheit. Not sure if you need to see a psychiatrist yourself.

Not sure myself after reading these threads. The two sides cannot both be sane. If the conspiracy theorists are correct, then someone find me a good shrink because I have a long way to go to sanity.

What is the word for living in constant denial?

Seriously, the answer to this could apply to both extremes of the spectrum because in my mind, they are both suffering from delusions of grandeur. ;)

Conspiracy theories on 911 are good for reading if you are suffering from insomnia. They work like sleeping pills, well at least by me. I can assure you after 10 mins of this stuff and you'll fall asleep.

Not sure myself after reading these threads. The two sides cannot both be sane. If the conspiracy theorists are correct, then someone find me a good shrink because I have a long way to go to sanity.

It seems i cant point this out often enough: BOTH sides are conspiracy theorists. They only believe in different conspiracies.

You have now crossed over to the side of the enlightened ones. Welcome. Here, have some popcorn, sit back and watch the show; and of course you are allowed to lob the occasional bomb to liven things up a bit. B)

True, but the difference between a good and honest inquisitive mind, and the other type is the ability to accept the answers to those questions.

Kay, watergate came out after credible evidence was delivered from a credible and reliable source (washington post if Iremember correctly). Not an ex fast-food-frier drop out and a professor in philosophy!

Freiheit didn't mention any specific conspiracy. He seemed to be generalizing about any and all conspriracy theories. Watergate was a conspiracy, and also only a theory until proven. What's your point?

That I trust investigative jurnos of repute. All the conspiracies are based on ignorance and selective presumptions at the moment, JFK, )11, Roswell, Moon Landings, Editor Bob.

Freiheit didn't mention any specific conspiracy. He seemed to be generalizing about any and all conspriracy theories. Watergate was a conspiracy, and also only a theory until proven. What's your point?

I would disagree that Watergate was a conspiracy theory (it was, of course, a conspiracy, as defined below), at least not in the current sense. As pointed out, the heart of that was the burglary of a political party's office and a few similar illegal acts. Yes, the crimes went all the way to the top, but that was the only reason we have heard about those events. 9/11, on its own, was a huge event. Just because someone high up is involved in malfeasance, does not make it a conspiracy theory.

All the conspiracies are based on ignorance and selective presumptions at the moment

That's a very sweeping statement, if I may say so. It doesn't take that much to make a conspiracy.

From Wikipedia

# Conspiracy (crime), agreement between two or more natural persons to break the law at some time in the future

# Conspiracy (political), a plot to overthrow a government or other powers

Sure, some theories are wacky, but so are people. Doesn't mean there aren't quite a few very real conspiracies going on and that every theory about them is mad.