Munich Curry Night - Archive from previous weeks

17,364 posts in this topic

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. Lisa

3. Cragrat

4. Metall (hopefully we can sit outside!!)

At the moment the booking is limit to 10 people.

Please copy/paste the last list into the reply and add your name As Soon As Possible, at the latest 5 pm Wednesday. 

Chaos at work has been resolved, thank goodness! Coming back on the list. :-)

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. Lisa

3. Cragrat

4. Metall

Please copy/paste the last list into the reply and add your name As Soon As Possible, at the latest 5 pm Wednesday. 

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. Lisa

3. Cragrat

4. Metall

5. Lilliluna

At the moment the booking is limited to 10 people.

Kerala still is hands down one the best Indian restaurants on the Curry Night list.

They don't only have the run of the mill standard westernized Indian fare, they have interesting things like South Indian  idlis, dosas, jackfruit curry etc.
Even their starter pappadams are  nicer and fresher than the usual bits of deep fried cardboard ;) you get , and the sauces are all freshly made, not from a jar.

The experience was slightly marred by the usual confusion while paying the bill, but somehow that's unavoidable in an Indian restaurant, no idea why. It's just part of the package.

Ask them to provide the following in their menu

1. Tapioca(cooked with grated coconut , a pinch of turmeric and curry leaves) and beef curry

2. Palappam + Fishmoley or Chicken mappas

3.kerala poratta + beef fry

4. Steam cake + chickpeas curry+ pappadam

If they don't , ask them to change their name

qjubinjohn please stop making stupid comments about restaurant names. 

The Bombay palace doesn't serve only Bombay chat and of course Bombay is now Mumbai

The Taj Mahal serves Indian food, it's not a palace

The Garam Masala serves Indian food. It is not a spice seller

The Royal Madras doesn't not serve cooked member of Madras nobility (which is now of course Chennai)

Ok I get it you want us all to know that you the names of 4 South Indian dishes.

You are close @MadAxeMurderer

I wanted to name my top kerala dishes, not south indian.  South india would be a collection of 4 states and for me they have very different cuisines . But I am also aware that they may taste very similar for a non indian. Still i need to atleast try to convey my point of view . 

Also my comment may sound stupid to you,

But for me , a great keralite poet wrote once, "when you hear the name india you should feel proud, and when you hear kerala your blood should feel it." 

It's totally okay if you don't get what I meant.  But I will keep on doing the same. I don't want to share the fate of Italians who are forced to accept that pizza hawai is italian. And it's a noble cause to fight for

Every year somebody complains about the name of the "kerala" restaurant because they don't do authentic Keralan cuisine. Only Kerala, not the other ones I listed. So I guess Keralans are enormously sensitive to the use of the name?

For the record, while I've been all over Kerala I prefer the Karnataka coast in particular Gokarna. 

Although I did have a great time at Neyyar dam which is not on the coast. I guess Varkala, and Alleppy were the best of coastal Kerala

It's may not be sensitivity , i think it is mostly because of some surprise effect. Names like Mumbai, Taj or Madras represents internationally known tourist destinations in india. So it's okay if they sell food which has some kind of indian taste.

On the other hand the name Kerala is not so well known like the above names. So it gets very similar to a conversation in "how I met your mother". " Why would anyone say she is from New Jersey unless she is from New jersey"

Likewise why would anyone call a restaurant kerala unless they serve atleast some of signature kerala cuisine. 

I have a feeling that the guy who complaints every year is me myself. 

This week we have a Toytown reservation for 7:30 pm at Dhaba -Schwabing West, Belgradstr 16 (corner Herzogstr), 80796 München. The table is booked inside but the restaurant is spacious for maintaining social distancing.  DHABA | indian restaurant

Nearest station: U2 Hohenzollernplatz or 12,27,28 tram, 53,59 bus Kurfürstenplatz.

1. ex-essex (Paul)

This week we have a Toytown reservation for 7:30 pm at Dhaba -Schwabing West, Belgradstr 16 (corner Herzogstr), 80796 München. The table is booked inside but the restaurant is spacious for maintaining social distancing.  DHABA | indian restaurant

Nearest station: U2 Hohenzollernplatz or 12,27,28 tram, 53,59 bus Kurfürstenplatz.

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. bettina (I was hoping you would pick Dhaba this week!)

1. ex-essex (Paul)

3. Lisa

1. ex-essex (Paul)

3. Lisa

4. Cragrat

1. ex-essex (Paul)

3. Lisa

4. Cragrat

5. Metall

1. ex-essex (Paul)

3. Lisa

4. Cragrat

5. Metall

6. HarveyP

This week we have a Toytown reservation for 7:30 pm at Satluj, Wörthstr 9, 81667 München. The table is booked outside.

Satluj Indisches Restaurant (satluj-munich.de)

Nearest station: Ostbahnhof U5 and all S-Bahns, plus lots of buses. OR Max-Weber-Platz U4-U5. OR Tram stop Wörthstr 21, 15, 25

1. ex-essex (Paul)

Please copy/paste the last list into the reply and add your name As Soon As Possible, at the latest 5 pm Wednesday

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. HarveyP

Please copy/paste the last list into the reply and add your name As Soon As Possible, at the latest 5 pm Wednesday

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. HarveyP

3. LisaJK

1. ex-essex (Paul)

2. HarveyP

3. LisaJK

4. JasminB