English-speaking real estate brokers in Berlin

28 posts in this topic

I am looking for an English speaking real estate broker in Berlin. I really want someone who is local, not some UK company selling Berlin apartments in the UK. On Google, I only found these two:

Berlin Real Estate Investment and Grund Boden Fundus

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Just curious how long you've been in Berlin?

I only ask because if you're looking at buying a property, it's really easy to get screwed as a foreigner.

That's not just the case when theree's a language difference, but anytime you are unfamilliar with an area.

If you're new, find somewhere cheap to rent for a bit (maybe Craigslist) and start exploring Berlin. Get a bike and just ride. Make friends with the Germans and let them tell you what areas are good or bad. Finally, find you someone local that you know and can trust to act as a go between with the realtor.

The East Germans can be your best friend or worst enemy as a foreigner. After the wall came down a lot of them were taken advantage of by both Wessies and Foreigners trying to make a buck. But, if they like you, and they know you're cool, an ossie will watch your back like there's no tomorrow.

They had to play hardball back in the DDR days to get anything, and much business in the former East still works this way. Have a local Berliner do your real estate negotiations with a german, as a german.

The german speaking realtors will have digs on the best properties, the best prices, and won't see a foreign bank account come walking in the door instead of a customer.

Hi there,

I am one of the above mentioned brokers.

Owner of BerlinInvestment.com.

I agree that an average broker will propably

try to make areas were he has listings

more attractive than other areas.

That is why my recommondations are written down

in my Blog about the naked truth on Berlin Real Estate,

go there and look what I said

• in 2007

• in 2008

• in 2009

its always the same.

We even put our ideas into a (google) map,

because for people without at least some location knowledge

this is much easier to navigate.

Please sign up on our website to receive the free map.

Please tell us what are you looking for and give us a budget that helps a lot.

Remeber you are not talking to an automated system your email actually will be read by us :-)

Some insights upfront: We don't like and don't recommend Wedding :-)

Not even the "close to Mitte" trick.

Alexander Korte

Ok here's the deal.

Can somebody give me addresses of actually existing Estate Agents/Realtors in Berlin. You know the type. "Hello I would like to buy a property" "Certainly Sir" etc, like what they have in the UK.

I am a cash buyer looking for a cheap 1bed apartment in Berlin. Bolthole/investment etc.

Spent all day Sun looking online for properties via the usual suspects.

My next step was to spend today (Monday) going to actual offices for further details/appointments.

Two of the offices didn't exist, even when asking the natives/Polizei.

Wasting 3hrs traipsing around Berlin was not exactly chuckles all around.

Any advice or links etc would be fantastic.

Also can someone explain the concept of HausGeld vis a vis cash buyers.

I used Adhocimmobilien (http://www.adhoc-immo.de/) and they were great. If I was already in Berlin though I would try to avoid a makler at all costs! There are units for sale provisionsfrei.

I am also looking for the same thing. Will they act as a buying agent or are they just interested in showing the properties on their books?

In all seriousness, is there no one you can pay in this city to help buy property? I'm starting to think that people in Berlin are adverse to making money or something.

I agree with the above post.

I mean I am a cash buyer, no strings attached ready for a quick purchase. I spend 3hrs an afternoon wandering around Berlin looking at areas. I spend another 3hrs searching etc online and what do I get zilch! One viewing at the WEEKEND.

It makes me hanker for the more agressive breed of estate agents back in the UK. Looking past the glossy brochures at least they had a desire to help/stitch you up.

So whats the deal with the German Estate Agents?. Extreme laziness? Lack of motivation? Dont they want a sale?

I have a translator/notary/removal guys on standby. Find a place within a month? I think rather optimistic

Exasperated fed up and generally pissed off with it all

You should contact several different estate agents and tell them what you want. They'll try to sell you the stuff on their books first because then they don't have to share the commission with anyone (6% - you pay all of that in Berlin).

To avoid potential problems with black sheep, I'd suggest you go with someone in the Ring Deutscher Makler, which has a code of conduct and takes special care to vet members.

Having said that, a lot of people try to sell direct - through ImmobilienScout24, for example. So browse the ads there, as well. Many, but not all, of them will be Provisionsfrei, which saves you 6.96% of the purchase price.

Thanks for the above post.

However, I have been doing all of that yet I get no appointments/further information all bar one. Has I mentioned earlier there doesn't seem to be alot of physical offices open to the public in Berlin.

If I am parting with a lot of money then the least I expect is face to face discussion.

I thought in a City the size of Berlin there would be an abundance of them.

It's not me either, I am PM-ing another member here with the same problem. To quote there is a Russian-waiter attitude in the city where customer contact/care is concerned.

Its a shame as it is a serious blight on this wonderful city.

I purchased an apartment in Friedrichshain, knowing no German at all at the time, using Holger at Berlin Projekt. If you contact him say hello from me, he's a lovely bloke and his English is excellent.

I agree with the above post.

I mean I am a cash buyer, no strings attached ready for a quick purchase. I spend 3hrs an afternoon wandering around Berlin looking at areas. I spend another 3hrs searching etc online and what do I get zilch! One viewing at the WEEKEND.

It makes me hanker for the more agressive breed of estate agents back in the UK. Looking past the glossy brochures at least they had a desire to help/stitch you up.

So whats the deal with the German Estate Agents?. Extreme laziness? Lack of motivation? Dont they want a sale?

I have a translator/notary/removal guys on standby. Find a place within a month? I think rather optimistic

Exasperated fed up and generally pissed off with it all

I hear you. I am also a cash buyer interested in moving quickly. Though I've only just started I've had a dickens of a time finding anyone to assist me. I'm perfectly capable of finding flats on ImmoScout but that's as far as I can go. I just want someone to help with the process. I've contacted about 6 different people and I've only heard back from one. Back home if I wanted I would have 5 appointments the next day!

I purchased an apartment in Friedrichshain, knowing no German at all at the time, using Holger at Berlin Projekt. If you contact him say hello from me, he's a lovely bloke and his English is excellent.

I have spoken with Holger. Basically unless you are interested in a long-term investment and property managment of something on his books he is not your man. I just need someone to act like a good old fashioned North American (and I guess more recently the UK also) buyer's agent.

That said, Holger is very nice and his English is excellent.

I swear I should just put a ad on craigslist looking for a local to cut through the BS for me. I wonder how much would that cost...

Perhaps we should start a club of people unable to spend money in Berlin.

Are there any German followers of this site?

I love to gain an insight into the way of thinking over here. Or perhaps we, ie those from UK,US etc have a higher notion of what customer care actually is!

The club idea is a good one. I suspect we are not alone in Berlin.

Perhaps we should have a protest outside the Estate Agents regulator. Placards saying 'down with this sort of thing'.

I tell you what though. The first in the group to buy a property can throw a housewarming party! yay!

I'm sure there must be some trick that we're missing. Of course part of the issue might be the fact that I only have (at best) an intermediate level of German. But still you'd think people would return contact.

But yes, I agree with the party. And if you ever want company on your 3hr wanders let me know. I do the same thing.

All the observations above are accurate and mind boggling at the same time. Let me see if I can clarify. My wife is getting into Real Estate in Regensburg. She has just passed the only education course offered in Bavaria on the subject. We have been active real estate Brokers and company owners in Hawaii, USA for over a decade. We just secured an apartment in Regensburg, so the process is fresh in our mind.

It is becoming evident already that my wife will be very busy, because she will practice at a level learned in the USA and with a very credible company. The game is changing ( at least in Regensburg).

The fact of the matter is that the expectation of education, licensing accountability is mostly non-existent in Germany and ethical behavior is slighted by a system that is not 100% beneficial to the consumer. Virtually anyone allowed to work and able to get a tax number can open a real estate office. Scary ???....hell yes!!! There is no National Association of Realtors with a code of ethics that can be the foundation of a lawsuit against the agent if they fail to practice to the standards that a reasonable individual would expect.

The German system currently does not follow the agency laws we are familiar with in the USA and other countries. The basic "who represents who" is not clear and not a mandatory disclosure, as in the USA. Who that real estate agent represents is usually themselves and not you. This lack of defined agency and lack of a cooperating Multiple Listing Service is why you will not find complete and aggressive Buyer / Tenant representatives.

99% of the time the Broker does not have a cooperating Broker system in place. In other words, there is no motivation for the agent to move quickly as the majority of the time, they don't have an exclusive right to represent the Seller / Landlord anyway and absolutely do not want other agents involved. They would rather hold out for "both sides" of the commission ( Buyer & Seller). This is the fault of the German Seller not the real estate agents. The German Sellers ( as a general rule) won't sign Exclusive Right to Sell agreements with real estate Brokers which would be in their best interest.

On leases the tenant usually pays the commission, where this is normally a Landlord expense as a cost of doing business. This is why, most agents here have you sign an agreement saying that they showed you an apartment and you agree to pay a commission. It is the same basics as our " procuring cause" statues in the USA. This does not mean that the agent has a service agreement with the owner, just that you will be hit for the commission.

The positive is that this German system serves to keep rents low, because the traditional 10 to 15 % monthly commissions paid by the Landlord to a management company are not built into the rents, so 2x rent as an agent commission could be looked at as a way to reduce monthly tenant costs

It amazes me that an evolved country does not even have a consumer advocacy system such as a free market Multiple Listing Service. Inventory here is controlled by ImmobilienScout24.de ( same people that sell cars and run a dating site). Is this in the consumers ultimate interest?

I could go on, but unless you live in the Regensburg area and we can help you, you have to go into your quest to find a property / apartment with eyes wide open and find an agent that has the listings and credibility to get it done for you. I did check out BerlinInvestment.com and that may be worth a shot, as they present a good message. Run the numbers on ImmobilienScout24.de and determine the top three or four listing Brokers and call them. Talk with the Broker not the floor person ( mostly clueless) and do the basic interview. Speak English? How long in Business? Exclusive Seller representation? Etc, etc.

Hi,

we are a Real Estate Broker in Berlin. And we are from Berlin. ;)

You can reach us via www.berlin-investment-solutions.com

We help you finding what you are looking for. The appartments on our webpage are just samples.

Write to us a bit more detailled what you are looking for if this triggered your interest.

Have a great day,

Dana and Wolfram

hi people! to add my recommendations & 2 cents/euro piece to the conversation: -

Frontline Berlin. they are excellent. I have spoken with 3 people there & they are all perfect english speakers. Despite being German foreigners (UK mainly) or from other EU countries. www.frontlineberlin.com check them out. there is a % for commission & a 3k euro hold/reserve for any property.

their office is now on Grusse Hamburger strasse. they just moved. that is an actual office you can walk into.

www.adhoc-berlin.com are great too. also next estate. google them.

just go on www.primelocation.com go international, put in rent or buy, you should get a whole list of people who you can contact.

can some body PLEASE URGENTLY help me: i have a problem that i need a COMMERCIAL unit for business & they tell me i can't have a COMMERCIAL mortgage. cash buy ONLY? what the fuck? in the uk (i am english yet ive had a fairly international upbringing) you do it with a bank & if you default the bank is allowed to take the property.

it's making me damn furious coz i can't start trading without a unit or being able to have some kind of commercial mortgage. i really am getting annoyed.

anyway DM me if you need any questions answered about German words & things. Also if you have a good lawyer/etc that speaks English, please let me know.

a group is a really wicked & cool idea. i wish we could all pool & buy say an apartment block or something?

take care people & happy hunting. grus (regards) vielen dank (many thanks) Hannah