Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oktoberfest groping, rapes, and sexual abuse

42 posts in this topic

Groping? I know this sounds like a joke, but I'm serious here, is there groping at the Oktoberfest? Like a lot of groping? I'll almost certainly be there with my girlfriend, and if there's one thing guaranteed to make me start a fight it's seeing my girlfriend being groped...

In fact, I would actually be keen to hear bad experiences from the Oktoberfest - I've only ever heard good things - is it all milk and honey, or does bad shit go down? (and yes, I vaguely remember something about a bomb a few years back).

You want to hear the bad?

Last year there were 12 reported rapes. 2 of them were of blokes.

12 reported rapes usually means something like (using English figures here) there were actually 240 rapes...which is rather a lot. Not nice. Serves to underline the point that, especially when there are lots of other nationalities here, Toytown ain't quite such a Toytown.

Jimbo, it's probably more appropriate to say 'especially when there's a lot of drinking going on'...

Yeah - there's a lot of groping, kissing and flirting at the Oktoberfest - it's part of the attraction. If you're a jealous type - start doing some zen meditations now...

Edit: of course, rape is not attractive at all :(

Hiya

There can be a bit of groping but not usually in big groups. There tends to be problems when people are on their own or they lose their friends. Then things can get a bit gropey. They don't have to though.

The project "Sichere Wies'n für Mädchen und Frauen" has been doing awareness campaigns for the last few years and has created a central "security point" for women and girls in trouble (or indeed anyone experiencing sexual harassment) at the Wies'n. It is now possible to get a taxi directly from their unit for example, something which was previously not possible. There are some very handy tips on the site about prevention.

post-16-1092225559.gif

Last year's poster slogan was "A Maß, a Hendl, a Bussi und dann a sexuelle Belästigung?

12 reported rapes usually means something like (using English figures here) there were actually 240 rapes...which is rather a lot.  Not nice.  Serves to underline the point that, especially when there are lots of other nationalities here, Toytown ain't quite such a Toytown.

Jimbo , you can't really blame the Bavarians so much for that - this town is swamped with tourists during that time and like all tourists - they often don't treat their holiday spot as they should. Try the starkbierfest - it's all the fun with much less of the nastiness IMHO.

About the groping - although some females tell me they don't mind (perhaps they do their fair share - I honestly don't kno) - I'm totally with you. I've been at plenty of Pogues gigs , and had some good times (even at the Oktoberfest) when drunk but that aspect always makes me see red.

I was told that 90% of the rapes beeing reported in Munich every year happen during Oktoberfest - which doesn't really surprise me if you see some of the girls laying completely wankered behind the beer tents...so I'm not so sure if that has s.th. to do with lots of people from other nationalities beeing in town.

Yeah but consider the amount of people at the Wiesn and then consider how many of these people are non-German. I thinkt he Toytown image is reasonably safe even on this issue.

Here's an article from last year on it from an Aussie paper, the Sydney Morning Herald

Because you can hold your beer Hazza.

;)

I am serious about wanting to help this project though - their info should be available in English.

Katrina

I mean I know that will sound very harsh now, but some girls are very provokative as well and should not be that surprised when a crime like this happens. Which is no excuse. Rape is one of the most coward and disgusting crimes ever.

I wear the Dirndl on the wiesn as well (yeah I know the Xena Dirndl, for those who were on Starkbierfest) and I am pretty good in defending myself meanwhile- verbally and physically.

Girls know exactly their effect on men, so all innocent exes is part of the flirt.

On the Octoberfest itself nothing really happens, but behind the tents or in the nearby streets. Some of the girls just have to much drinks and are really flirty and sometimes even "inviting" (to be honest that's what is all about isn't it) and really get the guys hot and walk home with guys they hardly know. in the last second they wanna get out of that and the guys who are too hot do not sahre the girls opinion.

So girls, take care of yourself and stay safe. If you're drunk or feel the guys are too much after you, stay in a group or ask a friend to accompany you home.

Not being racist here, but some Italians in big groups who are utterly wasted are very forward and have no problem grapping and kissing you just when u walk by.

Girls, Dirndl and flirt mode on, but be aware and take care of yourselves.

And for our jealous men... Don't go there, it just causes trouble.

At any event where there are over 6-7 million visitors, bad things are going to happen. Take this size of event and think what would happen if you held it in an English, American or Australian city. The numbers of bad things, from fights to rapes to deaths would increase tenfold.

I don't think you can avoid getting groped, intentionally or not. When you go to the toilet, it's incredibly crowded and you can't help touching people. Yeah, sure, you can help touching someone there, but it's not worth worrying about. Really. By the time you turn around, the person has likely moved on. As for real groping, where the person has you and is feeling you up, you can for the most part avoid that too. Don't go into the pit in the Hofbräuhaus tent after 8pm or on the weekends. Don't go out the back without a friend that you know, not a new beer friend. Don't go over to that bunch of fun-looking drunk blokes with all your cleavage showing if you don't want to be the entertainment. Don't head back to the train station by yourself at midnight. It's common sense really.

Just to echo what bubbly said there's a fair bit of female to male groping as well (in fact it's this that usually sets me off as I can't really object if it's someone else besides my gf).

And many of the girls are not merely drunk or even "wankered" , they are "polluted". ;)

Right - I think I've heard enough of the bad stories now! Wish I hadn't asked. I quite agree with the girls - common sense will prevent 99% of the bad shit happening, and people will sort of 'brush' up against you - that I can live with, but the out and out groping (which seems to be mainly perpetrated by the Italian contingent!) really f*****g annoys me and saddens me that blokes can drink 4 Maß and think they can get away with practically anything.

Bubbly is right - the site's aim is to say, if you want to get wasted stay in a group, have fun but be aware. Yes it is common sense, but I bailed out a drunk US girl last year who was being assaulted by a bloke from Milton Keynes.

I was on our work's visit and a lot of my colleagues did not want to get involved.

She was on her own and wanted to stay in a tent on her own nearby. This girl was not stupid, she was a student at Stanford, but she unfortunately did not use her brain. :blink:

Katrina

that blokes can drink 4 Maß and get away with practically anything

Naw, they don't always get away with it. That's what knees are for. But because they drank 4 Maß, they don't remember the next morning why their nuts hurt so badly...

Worth pointing out to anyone reading this that these stories and responses are a result of a direct question asked. 99% of people going to Oktoberfest will have a fantastic time and not experience any ugliness whatsoever. Just go there and have fun. Eat, drink and be merry...but play nice too ;) And remember kids, if you are caught stepping out of line in a tent, security will take you out. They don't mess about. Don't piss off your waitress, don't sit at reserved tables after you've been asked to leave and in general try not to be a dick.

Naw, they don't always get away with it. That's what knees are for. But because they drank 4 Maß, they don't remember the next morning why their nuts hurt so badly...

Thats a question I wanna put to the ladies here , if a girl gives a guy the feel up is it in ur opinion justified to give her the knee between the legs ?

Parnell, I think you should do whatever you think is necessary to stop the unwanted attention. As a girl is likely to be weaker than a guy, if she's feeling threatened, the surprise attack between the legs is a good option to stop it. As for you, it's less likely a threat as an annoyance, you can probably simply physically remove the hands touching you.

I always go on the middle Saturday. We have seats reserved with our club, so it's great fun. I like to go at least one quiet evening (if the weather is poor it will be quiet) and then any number of times depending on what other friends or visitors are doing. Anywhere between 3 to 7 times is normal for me. When my boyfriend lived 100m away from the Wiesn, he went about 12 out of the 16 days!

I think that's a copout honestly - I've been hit so many times there by drunken women when I bounced that I took to wearing a cup - and a female will go down like a sack of spuds no different from a man. I've had girlfriends who employed all of the "five across the face technique" (my personal fave) , the "talking technique" ( I went out with some ladies) and the "Y'see that ugly brute next ta me (points at me) - well he'll rip your eyeballs out through your asshole if you try anything like that again" and they did just fine.