Where to buy a Dirndl in Munich

119 posts in this topic

National costume, as worn by women in this neck of the woods. You will see them lurking with abundance at around Okt.fest time.

You will find quite reasonable dirndl's at Pat's Secondhand Boutique. In fairness most of the stuff I've seen there doesn't really look secondhand. It's all very good quality. I think some of it is end of line or factory reject items. There's a few of them around Munich but I think the one in Tal is probably the best for the Oktoberfest stuff.

Morning,

My drindl is from Pat's im Tal and I would really recommend that anyone who wants one shops early enough, i.e. at least 3 weeks before Anstich.

Skandal has very nice stuff, Pat's might be better for less regular wearers as you can get a drindl/apron/underskirt/top for 80€ complete.

Most of the stuff in Pat's comes from Austria and is end of lines rather than true secondhand. The quality is ok but you should still check the zips. My current one is brown with burnt orange and sky blue embroidery so not traditional, though I'd like one to go with my Salzburger Tracht loden green hunting jacket, crikey I've had that *counts using fingers* 10 years now :o

And for the all-essential "Holz vor der Hütt'n" - Susi brand drindl bras from Hertie am Hauptbahnhof or Loden-Frey (which sells no other women's underwear).

Katrina

who might as well be German but still is only Ersatz ;)

There are 3 shops in Tal that sell Dirndls that I know of (or rather, that I was dragged around at the weekend):

1. Pat's Boutique, next to Sausalito's

2. Wiesn-Tracht und Mehr, across the street (pictured below)

3. Some other shop that sells 2nd hand clothes all year round. Same side of the street as Pat's, nearer the Isartor. Dirndls etc are upstairs.

post-10-1092160211.jpg

Wiesn-Tract Und Mehr, Tal

e-Bay is also a good option if you know your size and what you are looking for, although the dresses will go up in price getting closer here to the Fest.

This is the one I got:

post-19-1092166002.jpg

and there's a really good shop (second hand) on hohenzollernstr. can't remember the name, but it's on the right hand side coming up from leopoldstr. they have dirndls outside so u can't miss it

I got mine at Arsen und Spitzenhäubchen -- also a vintage clothing shop. Excellent. There are cheap dirndls out there that really look cheap... (no showem don't even start, I'm not talkin' to you! ;) ) you'll know 'em when you see 'em. And if you don't, all the better!

Arsen & Spitzenhäubchen (0 89) 2 72 47 39

80799 München, Barer Str. 82

And yes that does mean Arsenic and Old Lace.

Edit: although a cheap dirndl you don't mind getting beer on. Depends on what you go for.

I bought one this past Saturday at a shop on Augustenstr, sort of between the Theresienstr and Josephplatz stops on the U2. Cannot remember the name, but has second hand and some new, and mannequins with dirndls on outside so its hard to miss.

Petal and I had a look at those at Loden Fry several weeks ago, just for a laugh. Saw one on sale for €2500! For appearances sake, we fought over it, then loudly decided the quality just wasn't quite there... :D

I bought my dirndl at Loden Fry's outlet which is on the Frankfurter ring - very close to the Olympia Einkaufszentrum. I paid $150 for the whole outfit(dress and shirt, tacky necklace, socks). The dirndls there are very pretty, not slutty looking and I got lots of compliments on mine. It's worth a try.

Hmm. I didn't know Loden Fry had an outlet! Perhaps I should get a back up dirndl...

I've got tix to the opening day game at 3:30, but if anyone wants to check this shop out in the morning?

as a native bavarian girl :) I would also reccomend he second hand shops:

there's a good one in Sendlingerstr. and another Im Tal.

That's the cheapest option at least. But all the big department stores like Kaufhof or Karstadt do also sell echte bayrische Tracht...

that depends on the dirndl, usually the Dirndls are made of linen or other heavy garment so you were boots with it. Official name for them are "Haferlschuhe" but you can use usual trekking shoes with wollen socks and edelweiss :) Please please pleeeaaase dont wear a Dirndl with runners, what a disgrace! (even though some natives do so).

If you have a finer Dirndl, with fine blouses and aprin you should wear some kind of pumps or the traditional flat shoes, which match the rest of the Dirndl and ideally your handbag ;)