Shipping stuff from the UK to Germany

41 posts in this topic

Hello all, well I am moving to study in Berlin, and have about four 'moving house' sized boxes that I need to get to Germany (Berlin) somehow from London. Basically I am after the cheapest way, I don't care how long it takes and I can take the filled boxes (which I don't have as yet) to a compnay if required.

Grateful for any suggestions as to companies. Thanks in advance. Marcus

I've just done this.

Assuming you are not driving there anyway, believe it or not it is cheapest to just send the stuff by mail. e.g. UPS or plain old Parcel Force. Removal Companies are not worth asking if you are not moving anything less than a whole apartment.

I need to ship some stuff from London and from Scotland to join me here in Munich. Last time I got Bishops Move to do it but without telling me they subcontracted it to another company. Service was good but pricey, almost certainly due to the subcontracting.

Can anyone suggest other better or more cost-effective alternatives?

Topics merged by admin

Euro-USA was the best of all shipping firms I've used so far. They handled the London->Munich leg of Part Two of the initial move to Munich. They're the ONLY firm I can recommend from experience.

woof.

I got a local man-with-a-van to ship my stuff to Freising last year, cost me £1000, door to door.

Hi there,

I have accepted a job in Düsseldorf and am in the process of sorting out the move from the UK. Would anyone be able to recommend a good removal firm that will pack, move and store my stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

Topics merged by admin

We moved here from the uk a month ago, and had to get 2 quotes as my husbands work pays for the removals. The first quote was for £5,500 and the other was £3800, we used 60 boxes, as it was our whole house contents. It took 1 1/2 days to pack, and 1 day to unload, but they were very good. I would recommend them.

The company was www.whiteandcompany.co.uk (prices are english pounds not euros)

Hope this helps.

Hi, we used Roggendorf http://www.roggendorf.de/ and were very happy with them. Had 125 boxes + a car to transport for 4500 EUR

The price also included the delivery of 20 boxes and some baby furniture to our temporary apt in Berlin + storage of the rest for 3 months.

(note though that our employer paid for it and definetely had some corporate discount as this company moved our whole office to Berlin).

Hi, we are a german moving company and minimum 2 times per month in UK.

The rates from our company is simular the same summ as the UK-colleagues provide but we quote in EUR.

If you are interested in our service please feel free to contact me directly or have a look to our webpage.

heiko.haertel@intermove.de

www.intermove.de

kind regards

Heiko

I have just got some quotes in to move our 2 bed flat to Germany and a local company wanted £3200 + VAT but a friend recommended F&N Worldwide who have quoted £1743 + VAT - bit of a difference! Can't comment on the service obviously but very helpful and friendly on the phone. They were originally founded in Germany and their website is www.fnworldwide.com

I am travelling round the world at the moment but will move from England back to Germany soon. All my belongings (2 big suitcases and a laptop) somehow ended up in Northampton but need to be transported to Berlin. Do you know any cheap and reliable shipping services (since I dont think I can handle the suitcases by myself) Or do you have any other ideas of how to get my stuff to Berlin?

Thanks for your help!

Topics merged by admin

They have luggage carts in most major airports these days. Hit the gym between now and the time you move to Germany and you should be alright. If not, UPS them.

Can anyone also give me advise we are relocating from the UK to the Mosel has anyone had any experience of removal companies as we can not decide if to hire a vehicle in the UK and move ourselves or use a container service but the problem with using a container is at the Mosel end getting down the narrow roads or the 3rd option using a general removal company complete with driver and follow on in our general car

we are in the process of trying to decide what furniture etc to take and what to leave behind but as my partner is a bit of a magpie it is a difficult decision to make so we are also not sure of what stuff to take with us

so any advise who be helpful

You can try voovit.com, it is one of the shipping companies used by students from my university in UK. It ships to Germany as well. It took them about 3 - 4 days to ship two boxes from birmingham to Frankfurt.

You could try checking your local press/advertising papers for a 'man with a van'. When I moved from the West Midlands I used a man with a van, transported a Luton sized van load door-to-door for £1,000. That was 3 years ago.

Just thought I'd revive this thread with my terrible experience with VOOvit and spare my fellow TT's the trouble of dealing with what I consider to be the "RYANAIR OF SHIPPING COMPANIES!". In a nutshell, once we set up our account online and they received our deposit for the boxes the trouble began.

1.The website is very unreliable, we were unable to login and check the status of our account.

2.They charge you 50pence a minute to call for help so you have to deal with them via email. It took us over 20 emails to fix up THEIR cockups due to their crappy web-site the incompetent staff.

3. We were shipping 11 boxes from Scotland to Germany, they arrived 5 days late because they could not communicate with their courier in Munich (don't get me started on this one!)

They specify that U.K contact numbers are not accepted as contact numbers for your destination, so if you're like us and you relocate without some form of immediate German contact number the courier can call you on, you're stuffed!

If you still go ahead and use these guys then a couple of words of warning. When they say they only pick up and deliver from the ground floor, they mean it! Don't be surprised if the boxes are wet from sitting out in the rain.

And on a postive note I can recommend Parcel2Go who we used to send a few boxes (including 2 bike boxes) they turned out to be much cheaper (particularly the bike boxes) and they delivered on time.

may be a bit off topic, but I was amazed how cheap it was to ship some heavy boxes to Germany using myparceldelivery.com