German language teachers at the Volkshochschule

42 posts in this topic

Hi all,

FYI - registration for German VHS classes is this Friday 9 Feb from 8:00am.

Can anyone recommend brilliant teachers they've had at the VHS and also mention any really terrible ones?

From my side I can say I had Andreas Tomaszewski last semester for 'Grammatik am Wochenende' and he was excellent.

cheers

Related topic: German language courses at the VHS Munich

Hi,

I just signed up for the Grundstufe 4 at Schwabing, 5.40 pm to 9 pm today. The instructor is Rainer Jordan and I was wondering if anyone has any experience being under him.

Thanks.

Just to clarify, the (Hauptanmeldung) registration begins on Saturday, February 9 not on Friday as previously noted!

Hi,

I just signed up for the Grundstufe 4 at Schwabing, 5.40 pm to 9 pm today. The instructor is Rainer Jordan and I was wondering if anyone has any experience being under him.

Thanks.

JoC — I'm on the course preceding that and will be signing up for that one, when I get around to it.

Rainer's very good, especially as the whole course is in German. He's quite keen in grammar though, so get learning those tables.

Hello, I'm taking an Oberstufe-1 course at Volkshochschule. Considering my schedule, I have two choices:

Teacher: Elisabeth Kroiß-Schuckall

@Schwanthalerstr. 18 Rgb

or

Teacher: Sandra Bakker

@Schwanthalerstr. 40

Has anyone experienced one of these teachers, or both? Who would you recommend/not recommend?

Or has anyone taken an Oberstufe course at VHS? How was it? How many people were there in your class?

As far as VHS German teachers, I would strongly recommend Leila Finger. She's friendly and keeps the class interesting and fun. Yes, she stands up in front of the class and teaches grammar, etc., but she also provides lots of time for us to work together in small groups so that we get some practice speaking. A great teacher (my subjective rating: 10 out of 10)!

I have another teacher right now, Rainer Jordan, who is a friendly enough guy and who seemed ok to start with, but I can't recommend him. He does most of the talking and doesn't let us speak enough. When we do get to speak, he cuts us off before we've finished the sentence, or gives us 3 milliseconds to answer the question before he starts telling us the answer. And he spends way too much time giving us vocabulary definitions. I'd rather just look up the words at home and ask questions for those words I don't understand. (my rating: 5 out of 10)

Does anyone have any experience with any of these teachers?

- Renate Wagner

- Kharazm Mottaghy

- Ursula Jeshel-Noever

Gerald Huschka comes to mind as one who is a fantastic teacher there.

And, some lady named Elke Benter (or something similar) was awful: no actual teaching, just following the book religiously. Go to page 43 in the book, exercise 5, *5 minutes working silently*, then we all say the answers and she simply replied if they were correct or not. Ridiculous waste of money.

- Renate Wagner

Wow! Is she still around? If it's the same teacher (buxom, long-haired woman) I had 17yrs ago she was good but tough (no messing). Was a mixture of grammar, conversation and writing. Having said that, I could already speak German (had A level) and followed the "Mittelstufe" course with her to refresh.

Good luck!

- Ursula Jeshel-Noever

She was my German teacher the whole way through and was excellent. I can only speak positively about her. I still catch up with her and a few people from the course for a beer sometimes.

I've just signed up to the Aufbaustufe 1 (C1/2) course at the VHS starting next month...I thought I'd be suited to a Mittelstufe 4 (C1/1) or a Bridging course between B2-C1, but apparently not..anyhoo, my teacher is going to be a Barbara Völkel, PhD..anyone have experience with her?

I do agree with “naturefreak” impressions concerning Leila Finger.

I was her student during three consecutive levels and she is sincerely the best teacher I ever had. A couple of friends were also her students and had the same impression.

She's very friendly and always ready to help us. I think she goes to her classes with a previously prepared lesson plan. It means that the classes are perfectly conducted.

She really can make us learn German. She makes it look easy and fun (trust me).

Go to Gasteig and ask to one of her courses. Certainly it worth the money.

Now I’m a Goethe Institut student and my teacher is not even 50% good as she is. And I have paid 5x more for it (schade!)

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just wanted to recommend two German teachers I've had at the Munich VHS:

-- Antonia Lang-Kleefeld

-- Hanspeter Weigl-Sultani

Both were very nice, patient and awesome at explaining grammar and vocabulary.

I've had another teacher there as well, but, if you can't say anything nice... :P

Would like to highly recommend Joseph Reichel for B2-C1 Level. He is very detail oriented and explains Grammar thoroughly. He is also available on email for further questions or Homework etc.

Elisabeth Kroiß-Schuckall and Leila Finger sometimes team up to teach the 20-hour-per-week classes. I can recommend these two wholeheartedly. Their particular teaching methods and areas of focus complement one another very well. I took classes with them for six months this year and am confident that my classmates would agree -- these two teachers, though very different, are terrific together. Leila is a true innovator, and has got to be one of the hardest-working teachers I've ever seen.

If I had the chance to take another class at the MVHS, I would seek them out as teachers without question.

I will highly recommend Barbara Volkel (10-10), it is very easy to learn with her and she is very organized and use every minute of the lesson productive.

I had nice experience with Rainer Jordan (7-10), but take his class only if you need to improve the grammar skills. Most of the exercises he prepares by himself and very interested to teach. Besides he gives you a A LOT of home-task. Together with Rainer sometimes teaches Verena Appel (5-10) she is nice, but boring. She has the standard exercises every week for mind mapping new words, and then a group of 2 or 3 needs to write 10 sentences for each word. That was every week...

I will NEVER recommend Jolanta Szymanska, truly I am not sure about spelling her name, but she was the most terrible teacher I had. Never prepared to the class! She was doing exercises together with us and never sure with answers! She is from Ukraine or Poland, whatever, but for most of the questions we asked her answer was that she didn't know because she was not a native speaker, however sometimes she went to the next door and asked answers form another teachers...After the course I did with her, I did not feel any progress.

My experience with Barbara Völkel was FAR from recommendable. I found her to be highly unprofessional in her attitude, and that seemed to be the general consensus with the other people in the class also.

My experience with Michael Schnitzer was very very good. I had him at the Deutsche Akademie and then he moved to the VHS. Too bad he was not offering my level class. He is Austrian. Very good teacher (I am also a language prof so I also "judge" from a professional point. And thanks to all for your suggestions, I must enroll in my next class and I am uncertain if continuing on with DA or moving to VHS