Translators' meetup, monthly networking event

3,670 posts in this topic

Perhaps because it sounds Austrian? Which would also fit Tomasino's location. I don't know where confusion would creep in.

That's hilarious - a translator asking for help translating his notice! No wonder he's being sacked if he couldn't understand that...

Well, I really hope it's a joke... or maybe I'm wrong and he has different language pairs or something? Tomasino, sorry if it's real.

It ain't real. It's a wind-up. He got bored of posting his "funny" videos in Random chat

The skinny of this is that I didn't actually get this.

Yes, I translate. And know very well what this says.

It was just a strange thing to be given to translate today, and it needed to be done urgently (needed to be used today).

Probably the most horrible thing I have ever translated. Perhaps my conscience wanted to vicariously take the anonymous person's place by posting.

Wasn't taking the piss, just felt so odd and surrealistic.

You originally said:

Can someone help?

Just got this in my email. Somehow my Internet no longer works except for google, yahoo and, of all things, Toytown, so I was wondering if someone could help me out:

What does this mean?:

Asking what it means gives the impression that you don't understand it. If you had no issues with the content, I'm not clear what we were supposed to be helping you out with?

Maybe it would have been better to start a topic in the translation forum about work that you find emotionally difficult or something.

Not really a snap decision, because DDBug suggested the last time having a regular meetup on the first Wednesday of the month. And here it is again! Wednesday 7th March from 7 pm in Cafe Lebenslust- table will be reserved under "Übersetzer". Who's up for abandoning the computer for a few hours for cocktails and chat? (Lebenslust has a cocktail happy hour until 8 pm. Just letting you know.) I will try and make it this time, sounds like I missed a good evening the last time.

You did indeed! Am hoping to be there. Thought it was going to be at Tacos y Tequila this time though? Not that I've anything against Lebenslust, staff were lovely and gave us free drinks! :wub:

Sorry Tiggi, that was my fault, I missed DDBug's Tacos e Tequila proposal (blanking any mention of tequila after formative experience in misspent youth). But Lebenslust doesn't sound too unbearable if it's overflowing with spaghetti and free drinks...

I shall suffer through it somehow. ;)

Will definitely be there and know at least one other person's coming - she'll sign up in due course, no doubt. Can't expect these project managers to be too organised, can we?!

Ouch - my head. And I left before you guys!

But, you guys convinced me - I'm back online. So much for actually taking walks anymore :rolleyes: . I'll be hanging around the tt water cooler instead. 10 Pms will wait - what have I missed around here??

Yay! Da Bug is back! ;)

Really enjoyed last night. No idea how I've escaped the headache again, but it's sure as hell an undeserved blessing! Great mixture of catching up and meeting new people - best kind of event. Can't make the next one but looking forward to the special birthday edition in two months' time!

What Tiggi said, but with added headache :( Must've had a bad pint. Yes, that'll be it. Great meeting you all!