Translators' meetup, monthly networking event

3,670 posts in this topic

:lol: sorry about that. Things are still a bit crazy here, at least I didn't wait until tomorrow afternoon! Even if no one else is there I owe you a drink ;)

I'm not a freelancer, but a translator nonetheless and fairly new to Munich, so I may tag along!

Of course you're welcome, nobody said it was restricted to freelancers.

bugger, I have something else already lined up.

I don't actually work as any of those things (anymore/at the moment), but my university background makes me a linguist and I'm potty about languages - so I'd love to come if you do this again.

Have fun!

Oh, man. Notice was too short for out-of-town me, I'm afraid. Hope there'll be another one soon...

Dammit, couldn't make it after all. Next time... Hope you had a good time.

The free drinks at the end helped wash down the never ending bowl of spaghetti a bit as well :) yes, I guess we (ok, I) talk too much when we meet up because this is such an isolating profession.

First Wednesday of the month seemed to be agreeable to everyone - most likely Tacos y Tequilla next time - I'll ask Raphael how crowded his Wednesdays are.

Can someone help?

Just got this in my email. Somehow my Internet no longer works except for google, yahoo and, of all things, Toytown, so I was wondering if someone could help me out:

What does this mean?:

Hiermit teilen wir Ihnen mit, dass wir Sie unter Einhaltung der Ihnen zustehenden Kündigungsfrist zum nächsten Kündigungstermin, dem 14.02.2007, kündigen. An diesem Tag endet auch Ihr Dienstverhältnis.

Unter der Bedingung, dass damit auch Ihr gesamter noch offener Urlaubsanspruch abgegolten ist, stellen wir sie ab sofort dienstfrei. Sollten Sie Ihren Urlaub nicht zur Gänze konsumieren, behalten wir uns vor, die Dienstfreistellung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiters ersuchen wir Sie, eine Kopie dieses Schreibens zum Zweck der Bestätigung des Erhalts zu unterfertigen.

You just got this from your employers? Shit.

Basically they are giving you notice, effective immediately (today). They are offering you 'gardening leave' (ending the terms of your contract, basically), provided you give up your rights to holiday.

That last bit sounded weird to me, until a colleague pointed out that many contracts forbid working for other companies during holidays.

Edit: Oh, and they want you to sign and send a copy back to indicate your acceptance.

Anyway, good luck.

Well, that letter doesn't sound very German. I can well understand why the message would create confusion!

I'm so sorry Tomasino. Good luck!