Jobs teaching English in Berlin (TEFL)

59 posts in this topic

I've said it before and I will say it again, Berlin is a great place to live, but the job prospects are terrible. You might want to read a similar discussion we had a few months ago and consider going somewhere that actually needs native English speaking teachers.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi everyone!

I'm an Australian who has been planning for about five years to move to Berlin. In the meantime, I got caught up in a relationship and a career, but now I'm planning to go there hopefully later this year, once I've got an EU passport. I've seen that the job situation in Berlin is pretty tough and a lot of people hoping for an ESL type job are getting discouraged.I know Berlin seems to be just about the worst place to be looking for ESL teaching positions, but for me, it's Berlin or bust.

ESL is not simply a career choice because it's all I'll be able to do there. I'm fluent in German, and I speak it accurately. The only thing I lack is vocabulary for specific situations, so it shouldn't be a problem to find some kind of job in retail or something similarly mindless, should the need arise. What would really make me happy would be a decent ESL teaching position. I've been teaching English here in Australia for three years now. I love it. I honestly can't think of anything else that would make me happy that I'm qualified to do. I have a Bachelor of Applied Science but no experience in that field. I don't understand enough of the kinds of jobs that people do behind a desk, in an office, to be able to do one of those. So it's either ESL teaching or something mindless in retail, a restaurant or pub. I'm OK with something mindless, for a while, if it pays the bills and allows me to look for work.

So my question is this: I've seen it mentioned that some schools only pay about €8 an hour, which is crazy. How much do the good schools pay? And how much would someone make in a retail position in Berlin? How easy is it to support yourself in Berlin with just a job requiring no other skills than knowing German? Obviously I'll be going over there with a sufficient supply of savings, but it would make me feel so much better knowing that I could fall back on a retail job to tide me over.

Welcome to Toytown, das brennende Gespenst,

This site provides a wealth of information on nearly any Germany-related topic you can imagine (as well as quite a few that aren't Germany-related), but members are encouraged and expected to help themselves before asking others for help. Specifically, this means entering a few appropriate search terms in the search box on the upper right of the screen. If you had entered teaching Berlin, for example, you would have found this thread (which I've merged your post with), as well as several others, which should give you an idea of the (unfortunately rather dismal) situation potential English teachers face here.

You'll also find information about other casual employment in Berlin vs. the rest of Germany, if you only look.

Good luck.

but members are encouraged and expected to help themselves before asking others for help. Specifically, this means entering a few appropriate search terms in the search box on the upper right of the screen. If you had entered teaching Berlin, for example, you would have found this thread (which I've merged your post with), as well as several others, which should give you an idea of the (unfortunately rather dismal) situation potential English teachers face here.

Of course. I did spend quite a bit of time searching, and I did find this thread. I didn't think it was quite similar enough for my post to be put into it, but what is worthy of a new thread is vastly different on different message boards. I'm not used to this place yet. I probably should have lurked a bit longer before posting. Oh well. And after looking for a while, I haven't managed to find anything on how much people actually earn in Berlin other than about 8 EUR per hour at really scabby language schools.

Also, exceedingly quick question (not to ask, but to answer) that I have been looking for and found no answer to: When I look at the price of rental properties on immobilienscout24, and it says that the cold rent is XXX, with extra costs of XXX and the total rent is XXX, is that per week or per month? It doesn't actually say it anywhere on the website that I've seen, and I have searched. I had simply assumed per week, but people here have been talking of how much rent they pay per month and it's been pretty close to these figures that I've been seeing, that I had assumed were per week. I had heard rent in Berlin was cheap but my jaw dropped. Maybe it's just that rent is ridiculously expensive here in Australia.

Rents in Berlin are quoted per month, either warm (including heating costs) or cold.

Yes rents are cheap here, but salaries are also low!

8€ for 45 mintutes teaching is NOT typical. 15-20€ maybe and for private work, 25€++

Hi everyone!

ESL is not simply a career choice because it's all I'll be able to do there. I'm fluent in German, and I speak it accurately. ...

So my question is this: I've seen it mentioned that some schools only pay about €8 an hour, which is crazy. How much do the good schools pay? And how much would someone make in a retail position in Berlin? How easy is it to support yourself in Berlin with just a job requiring no other skills than knowing German? Obviously I'll be going over there with a sufficient supply of savings, but it would make me feel so much better knowing that I could fall back on a retail job to tide me over.

Knowing German puts you ahead of most other foreigners moving here. You might have visa issues nonetheless. You could work in retail or such but €400 jobs in this field are ubiquitous so you would need to rely on savings to make up the shortfall or a freelance work like translation, or indeed teaching,

Come with €4000 in savings and you should be fine.

Why not check out other places in Germany first. Something tying you to Berlin? I think in richer areas the €400 job problem would not be so pronounced.

Then "bust" it will be.

Nonsense. I don't agree with this Berlin-only focus either but i know people who have got on their feet here with far less preparation than this guy.

I was a DELTAfied British Counciler up until seven years ago. For pleasure more than the money, I wouldn't mind doing some part-time teaching in Berlin, but not for a private school making someone else rich. That just leaves the VHS, which would suit me better anyway, i.e. larger classes and general English.

Anybody here work at a Berlin VHS? Any good? I remember years ago, in Frankfurt-am-Main, the VHSs there recruited quite often. What’s best, just send a CV by post?

Just call the VHS and ask to talk to the English dept head. There are 12 VHSs in Berlin http://www.berlin.de/vhs/ you might even find the contact details on the website but a call is the fastest. The VHSs are often a type of Ferein, a not for profit organization, and they are always looking for new people to teach. I would say the pay is pretty low, though. Here in BW the VHS pays around 18€ per 45min. The Universities, Hochschulen, pay around 32€ per 45min (in BW) and also look for good people. There is a lot of prep and the students expect a lot.

Contact the local English teachers association there: http://www.eltabb.com/main/index.php this is a great place to network and find jobs. The members of these associations often pass leads to jobs on to their fellow members. These can be very well paid because you work directly with the company and therefore do not share your income with the language school which also wants this business.

You can also post your profile at English Profi http://englishprofi.com/ and advertise your services there.

Hi there,

I am doing my TEFL qualification in the UK currently, I am hoping to move to Berlin in May 2013.

Does anyone have any advice for getting TEFL jobs in Berlin, I am doing an extra TEFL course for teaching business english, any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you

Just go to the search button top right of this page, uk2012 , and type in key phrases (eg teaching English in Berlin ) and you´ll see loads of informative posts on this topic. I can guarantee that!

Hey there,

Check out that link: http://www.business-english-academy.de/en/contact/jobs

BEA is always looking for new business english teachers.

As of April I will be living in Berlin and looking for work teaching English. I have some TEFL certifications and nearly ten years' experience, five of which have been with German speakers in Austria, and I have even designed and written several online 'Teach Yourself English' courses.

Any information pertaining to teaching English in Berlin would be much appreciated. For example:

* What are the average rates paid by language schools? Private lessons?

* Are there specific websites or forums (either physical or online) for freelance teachers?

* How many hours might one expect per week/month?

* Are there seasonal 'dry periods' in regards work? If so, when?

* How quickly is a full-time teacher able to establish one's self financially?

* What sort of contractual commitments are required?

* Is there a greater demand for business or conversational English?

* How steep are tax rates?

Thank you in advance for any information you might provide. I'm looking to get a general idea of how challenging (or easy) it will be as a freelance teacher at this point, but if anyway has specific jobs in mind I would be delighted to forward my CV and any assailant information.

Thanks again!

As of April I will be living in Berlin and looking for work teaching English.

Why? Have you done any research before making this decision?

* What are the average rates paid by language schools? Private lessons?

I frequently see ads from qualified teachers offering private lessons for 10 - 15€/hr.

* How quickly is a full-time teacher able to establish one's self financially?

In Berlin? For many teachers, never.

* How steep are tax rates?

Most freelance teachers do not earn that much and, therefore, do not pay that much income tax. On the other hand, all teachers are required to contribute almost 20% of their earnings into the public pension fund. Furthermore, health insurance is mandatory.

I would recommend reading Becoming an English teacher in Germany for more info.

Kern Training is looking for an experienced freelancer to cover a semi-intensive course in Stansdorf starting 10th November.

Pay is negotiable 18€/45 minutes. Total of 56 Units.

Please apply here: http://www.kerntraining.com/en/company/job-offers/trainer/unsolicited-application.html

Or contact our office in Berlin: (030)27581450

Topics merged by admin

Last summer, I went to Europe with my family and our first stop was in Berlin. I was only there for four short days, but I completely fell in love with the study. 

A couple of days ago, I started getting my TEFL certificate and will hope to have it complete by the middle of June. Can anyone point me to any sites for English teaching jobs in the city? Or even near-by if need be.

Brace yourself for some scathing replies.

You should use the search function on here. There's a 39 page thread at the top of this sub forum that covers this topic as well.

Good luck.

Yes, use the search funtion. The website eslcafe.com also has info that you can check out.

One thing about your post I didn't understand was where you said you "fell in with the study." Perhaps is not important, but what did you mean by that?