Superior German supermarkets

310 posts in this topic

How can it be a "guess" on my part that I'd find it harder to get to large supermarkets?

Quite simple really, they haven't built any yet and you're just assuming that they'll all be out of your walking distance.

Except where there are going to be completely new builds of areas (Arnulfstrasse, Grossmarkthalle, Marsstrasse ) are you going to put big supermarkets in inner Munich within walking distance of where people live?

Underground, just like the Tenglebums at Kurfurstenplatz, still not a proper thupermarket, but a step in the right direction

Wasn't there a major re-build at Kufürstenplatz anyway which would have enabled them to build underground.

Same as Fünf Hofe supermarket which gets good reviews.

But apart from MAJOR redevelopments where are you going to get large supermarkets in inner Munich that are within walking distance of where people live?

Underground, or multi-story in a converted building, Bangkok has these multi thupermarkets in built up areas (far far more built up than Munich)...so why can't Munich?

Because in Bangkok planning regulations are written on the back of a fag packet compared to Munich?

To get a UK sized supermerket underground on one level in inner Munich you'd have to knock half the bloody street down!

Which is why such large supermarkets only happen when there is MAJOR redevelopment.

Well that partly is the UK answer.

Plenty of school fields, commonly used land and the like falls to the developers.

Maybe UK supermarkets are going a wee bit German: Daily Mail on "I'm not a plastic bag" bags.

The Sainsbury’s launch comes two days before the company’s first Make The Difference days. These will occur once a month aimed at encouraging positive action and change across a range of environmental and ethical issues.

The first day, Friday, will see Sainsbury’s become the first big UK supermarket to stop giving out free disposable carrier bags.

Aldi and Lidl obviously do not count as neither is British nor that present on the UK market compared with Sainsbury, Tesco et al.

I find supermarkets pretty depressing in this country... How I miss the good old French "Carrefour"!!! :(

Why this heinous topic title was never corrected is beyond me - hurts my eyes every time I read it.

I agree. It is the word "superior" that does my head in. Superior to fucking what? Superior to eating your own leg after a plane crash in the Andes perhaps, but otherwise I just cannot work it out.

Although it always turns into one, this isn't a thread about the pros and cons of supermarkets in Germany.

It's about how German retailers are gaining in the UK.

My mum LOVES shopping with Tchibo for example. B)

Ha! Mortal fool. This thread is about whatever I decide it is about. As the title of the thread in itself makes no sense, we may as well swerve any direction we fancy.

Today I am wondering if Michael Caine was really a good actor or not. I mean I like him in most films and that, just have the worrying suspicion that he might just be a crap thespian. Weirdly the only film I can think of when he plays a toff (Zulu) I thought he was excellent. Don't like his cameo stuff in modern movies very much however. Italian Job was a great performance.

Oh and this new Avril Lavigne album is poppy trash.

I can think of when he plays a toff (Zulu) I thought he was excellent.

1st row fire

2nd row fire...

was in a lidl in the uk this week, exactly the same as here... shyte!!

although i availed of their 2 for the price of 1 offer on irn bru :D

does anyone know if ALDI/LIDL sell German-style Schnapps (ie Himbeergeist, Willisbirne) in the UK?

1st row fire

2nd row fire...

wasn't it "1st rank, fire, 2nd rank, fire.???...I'll get me anorak!