Three-week trip to America

132 posts in this topic

So I'm seriously considering a trip to America. Given the cost involved and the fairly large timescale (two weeks or three at the moment) I would be thinking about attempting to travel around the country a little whilst there.

As things stand it seems sensible to fly to New York from Germany (mostly as it's cheapest and that would be one of the key places I'd want to visit). For the moment my rough plan would be to spend a bit of time there and then get a internal flight across to California and spend time there (and then fly back to New York to get back to Germany).

For those who have a better knowledge of America, should I be trying to work in a few more states into this mix (bearing in mind that cost is a factor here) - so split the flight across to California into a flight to a middle state and then on to CA?

Or should I instead focus on just New York and California (working something like a train trip down the respective coasts to get an idea of the place)?

New York is a must. I've never been to San Francisco but everybody raves about it (that and Seattle would be my Pacific coast destinations of choice).

If you make it to some inland states I'd highly suggest the southwest. The Grand Canyon is fantastic and I hear nothing but amazing things about other national parks in the region. Yellowstone National Park is a bit further north but not too long from northern California by plane.

On the east coast, major cities are typically >3 hours apart and the fastest route between then, I-95 is just that - that fastest - not the most scenic. If you intend to do some coastal trips rent a car and drive it up/down the Pacific coast (don't bother with a train over distances that great).

:blink: ah, yes, i suppose our thread starter meant the United States of America. For most people, America is generally understood to mean the U.S., not North America which indicates Canada, USA and Mexico.

P.S. 3 weeks is not enough time for the whole U.S. Stick to a region. My suggestion, do the typical Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Arches, etc. National Park Tour.

Even the USA alone is a huge place; the journey from New York to LA won't be any shorter than the trip from Germany to New York. Personally, I'd say head west now (Grand Canyon etc) and save New York for another occasion. 2-3 weeks may sound like a long time, but start adding in travel times and it isn't.

huh? What are you insinuating is the 51st state?

ah, i removed that from my original post for fear no one would understand. (and i was right). but it was a reference to this movie.

If you go out west, would you swing by my cousin's place in Wyoming and grab my glasses and my kiddo's Healy shoes we left there last year?They have a boat and the lake isn't too far, if that's what you are into... ;)

Well, not very many. When I left there were still a couple dozen there. But then my mom moved to England and my grandmother passed away, so there aren't many left.

Three weeks are not really a large timescale for the States. I've never been to New York city, but I'd still say for your first visit go for the CA/NV/AZ thing.

Forget about long distance train travel in the US; it is costly, unreliable, and horrid. I would stick with New York half the time, and the SF the other. Also, you could rent a car and drive to Nappa from SF. Back on the east coast, it might pay to go up to Boston, with a rent-a-car or by greyhound bus, and get in another interesting American city. If it is the summer you could go out to Long Island from New York (metro north or jitny) or to Cape Cod (bus/car) from Boston. Or, you could go out to LA, and drive down to San Diago. It depends what kind of trip you are looking to make it, what your bidget is, what types of things you like, etc.

You coud also rent-a-car and drive it cross-country to California like an air-conditioned Woody Guthrie.

But the other posters are right, it doen't work out to much time in the end, so don't try and over extend yourself.

... Yellowstone is grand but for breath-taking landscape I recommend the Grand Teton National Park.

Ha! Both in Wyoming!

We also have Devil's Tower, for those of you familiar with Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

post-2130-1170077348.jpg

Jacksonville??? Are you nuts! Been there so many times and it is full of confederate flag flying, gun rack in back of pickup and no shirt wearing rednecks!!! Jesus, we even saw KKK signs in that city!!!

Horrid!

... Also, you could rent a car and drive to Nappa from SF. ...

i love this piece of advice. yes, get your rental car, drive down to Nappa, sample lots of wine, get back in car and drive back to SF drunk. so many people do the Nappa Valley tour, but someone has to be the designated driver. i wonder if they do arranged tours or something?

p.s. i was looking at taking a train from D.C. to NYC and i was appalled that it would cost me 150$ one way. so we're driving it. a friend took the Amtrak from OR to NY. He said it was a 4-day hell ride.