Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

English & German Kindergarten classes - Heidelberg

7 posts in this topic

a friend at work mailed this to us English speakers:

The Deutsch-Amerikanische Institut (DAI) (German/American Institute) Heidelberg is now accepting applications for kindergarten classes with instruction in English for children with German as their native language, as well as in German for children with English as their native language. During these classes, children will take part in arts and crafts activities, play, and sing - just as at any kindergarten. The difference is that they will be learning a new language at the same time. Classes also give children the chance to explore their artistic side as well as take part in scientific experiments and excursions.

Each kindergarten group will consist of around 12 children. A teacher and a daycare professional, both of whom are English speakers, will look after the English-language group. Kindergarten classes will be held at the DAI One World Language School (OWLS) in Heidelberg. Class hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The cost is €395 per month per child. See related links for more information.

i couldn't find this exact info on their Web page, however: OWLS Bilingual School @ the DAI in Heidelberg

I just put my child on the waitlist for the kindergarten. Does anyone have experience with the school? What are your impressions?

On 10/6/2017, 12:54:24, MariSanti said:

I just put my child on the waitlist for the kindergarten. Does anyone have experience with the school? What are your impressions?

The DAI Kindergarten in Heidelberg?

I have heard good things about it, many parents of friends were satisfied. We live in Mannheim so it wasn't an option for us.

Here's also a English/German kindergarten in Bahnstadt.

I know a handful of parents who had children there and were dissatisfied for various reasons - I met them when their kids transferred to my kids' kindergarten.  They reported e.g. that people working with their kids seemed to lack training in working with young kids (though they may have had degrees in e.g. education more generally), and said those underqualified staff members seemed to be stressed out and sometimes took it out on kids (not abusing them but losing patience and shouting, or ignoring them, or whatever, such that the kids did not find the environment to be pleasant).  I was told that one family's child was lost in the woods on a DAI kindergarten outing, and apparently kindergarten staff were not even aware the child had been left behind until they were contacted by the police a couple of hours later. (A woman walking in the woods came upon the distressed child, all alone, and called the police.) The most recent feedback I've heard is from a year ago, so maybe things have changed by now, but the news from both the Altstadt and Neunheim Kindergärten was not great.  

21 hours ago, liebling said:

...I was told that one family's child was lost in the woods on a DAI kindergarten outing...

OMG! That's catastrophic. I don't know how something like that should happen. I'm surprised they didn't lose their license or see huge fines. That's one strike too many!

The two friends' kids who were in the DAI kindy were there 3 or 4 years ago and seemed happy enough (primary focus was on their kid being bilingual so perhaps they disregarded other things). That being said, I know parents whose kids are/were in the one in Bahnstadt and are terribly dissatisfied. Two actually withdrew them (without having another Kiga to choose from). The other two stay in for convenience sake. Sad.