Info and opinions on homeopathy in Germany

121 posts in this topic

Topic split: Pediatric homeopath recommendations

I would like some advice on enlarged tonsils/apnea/adenoid. Can anybody recommend a pediatrician in Munich who is skilled in homeopathy? I am not happy with the idea that tonsils must be removed in order to improve child´s health condition, so would like to have some more holistic approach.

Children with enlarged tonsils or adenoids can experience sore throat and discomfort or pain with swallowing. Enlarged adenoids can give the voice a "pinched nose" quality and lead to changes in the shape of the child's palate and the position of the teeth.

Enlarged tonsils and adenoids can cause chronic ear infections and hearing loss due to obstruction of the eustachian tube and fluid accumulation in the middle ear. They can also cause recurring sinus infections, nosebleeds and obstructive sleep apnea.

Children with enlarged tonsils can also lose or fail to gain weight, either because of pain and difficulty eating or because of the constant physical effort it takes for them to breathe.

The size of the tonsils alone is not the basis of any diagnosis. Very large tonsils may be normal, and chronically infected tonsils may be normal-sized. Doctors look for redness of the tonsils, enlargement of lymph nodes at the jaw and in the neck, and the effect of the tonsils on breathing. The diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea is suspected when parents report frequent periods without breathing. Doctors may also recommend a polysomnogram, in which oxygen in the blood is measured and the child is observed while sleeping.

Doctors may give antibiotics if they think a bacterial infection may be the cause of the enlarged tonsils. If antibiotics are not effective or if doctors think antibiotics will not be useful, they may recommend the surgical removal of the tonsils and adenoids.

Feed your kid all the parsley, sage and omega-3 fish oil you want. Put bowls of orange oil all around your house for all I care. But at least also listen to the goddamned DOCTOR. If you aren't sure, go see another DOCTOR and not some charlatan whose sole income is derived by convincing you that magnesium, zinc, calcium and herbs can replace real medicine.

woof.

Not true. You can become a Heilpraktiker here without being a medical doctor and they can give out homeopathic remedies.

Yes, I agree with Corcaigh. I understand that the Homeopathical person must be a doctor or must be working in association with. Is it like that?

Some internet stuff (well that is the point, we get almost crazy reading loads of material from internet (who know the fundaments...). That it the reason why looking for DOCTOR´s prescrpition would be reasonable instead of CUTTING some parts away, just because TODAY it is too big. There might be a function of those parts (at least as filter) so I want to check with a MEDICAL DOCTOR from Homeopath line...

Baddog, dont answer about things you dont know, please... leave this forum open to those who knows (not me or maybe not you but a MEDICAL DOCTOR or someone who can indicate own) I ask you.

The surgical removal of adenoids will lead to freer breathing, for a time ; but it can in no sense be looked upon as a curative measure , as a measure, that is, likely to lead to the future health of the individual concerned. The operation removes the adenoids, but what about the unwise feeding habits and general wrong habits of living which are the real root of the trouble ? These, the treatment ignores entirely ! The consequence is that disease in other tissues or structures in surrounding areas inevitably follows, leading to all sorts of troubles in later life (perhaps the nose is affected, perhaps the ears or chest, and so on).

Enlarged Tonsils. �â

so please, do not post unless you have suggestions, i don't want to hear how much you think homeopathy is crap.

Tough shit. You posted on an open forum and strangers are replying, trying to help you. If you are sick, go to a doctor. They spend many years in school, interning, as residents, and continuing education for a reason: medicine is complicated. Homeopathy, despite it's scientifical-sounding name, is bullshit, plain and simple. There has never -- EVER -- been a single study which could prove even the slightest benefit beyond that of a placebo. You are wasting your money and potentially risking your life.

However, if you insist on throwing your money away, I'll be happy to sell you 30x, 40x or even 50x solutions of any elemental you name: gold, rubidium, copper sulfate, fluorine, you name it. It might not cure you but I can guarantee they won't kill you.

woof.

okay, if i knew people would have replied with these sorts of messages I would never have posted a message here.

I didn't want to offend. The big H is the biggest con in German medicine. I WAS just trying to help.

whether it is placebo or not it has helped me in other cases before and I want to give it a shot.

This is what is known as anecdotal evidence. I'm glad if a placebo helped you. Really! If you are going to take one you should find out which diseases it is useful for. It is NOT useful for infections.

so please, do not post unless you have suggestions, i don't want to hear how much you think homeopathy is crap.

thanks.

Cognitive dissonance. Once again, sorry to have offended. Really!

Tough shit. You posted on an open forum and strangers are replying, trying to help you. If you are sick, go to a doctor. They spend many years in school, interning, as residents, and continuing education for a reason: medicine is complicated. Homeopathy, despite it's scientifical-sounding name, is bullshit, plain and simple.

BadDoggie, do you not know that in Germany a Homeopath MUST BE a MEDICAL DOCTOR unlike in other countries where any one can give you a nettle enema?

Nice topic merge there. :lol:

Perhaps this would be an instance where IT IS ADVISABLE TO SHOUT: :ph34r:

Didn't seem to get it the first time round...

I have been to two good Homeopaths in the area, they were great, and my medical issues were dealt with without a bandaid and a prescription.

Both I saw are Medical Doctors but studied and trained in Holistic medicine.

More and More Dental Care is going Holistic as we learn more about the body, we need to listen to the patient and treat the WHOLE symptom and not just the pain.

I think both are a great combination.

And this is coming from a trained Health professional!

As a trained medical professional, I also recommend homeopathy when practiced by a trained doctor in certain appropriate circumstances. :)

You can recommend it but please show me one piece of verifiable medical research that it works.

Are you questioning the authority by which I post? I have told you that I am a scientist. I understand from my perusal of the forum that this evidence should suffice.

You can recommend it but please show me one piece of verifiable medical research that it works.

does Antibiotics work for everyone? Does radiation therapy work for everyone? Will everyone survive heart surgery?

Homeopathy, despite it's scientifical-sounding name, is bullshit, plain and simple. There has never -- EVER -- been a single study which could prove even the slightest benefit beyond that of a placebo. You are wasting your money and potentially risking your life.

This should be written on the first page of every medical textbook and printed in large, thick black letters on every package of homeopathic "medication".

I have never understood why highly intelligent people will believe the most outrageously idiotic arguments as to how homeopathy "works". Even Germans, who are otherwise logical to a fault, seem to fall for it.

Please tell us why you believe that a "solution" (also known as "water"), which has only a fraction of a chance of actually containing a single molecule of the original substance that was mixed into it will have any effect beyond a placebo effect.

I think homeopathy as practiced by doctors is a good thing.

Because doctors know how powerful the placebo effect is. When the doctors don´t think a real medicine is necessary, they can prescribe a homeopathic remedy. Most people do not know that the pill is placebo, and the effect will work at full force. Furthermore, I am convinced that the consultation methods that is used by homeopaths are beneficial.

When it not is practiced by doctors, however, homeopathy can be dangerous. British homeopaths, for instance, have been known for prescribing their medicines against malaria. They are even recommended as medicines in guide books for Africa...as we all know placebo does not work against malaria, thus the damages can become lethal.

So your suggestion is to go ahead and remain ignorant, but temper it by going to someone who not only knows that it's quackery but is also willing to take your money and go through the motions anyway. Nordmenn. No wonder every joke in Swedish is about you guys. Ég trua það ekki!

woof.

Lol!

I just say that I think the concept of doctors doing it is not so stupid. The placebo effect is well documented, and I believe it is appropriate to apply under some circumstances.

I'd rather go to a doctor who understands the placebo effect and the comfort things like homeopathy bring than listen to some dude who uses a tired and dull signature long after the novelty is gone. Oh you are so bad (snore).

But why go to all the length of the huge industry around it. Just give them smarties and tell em it'll make them better.