Am I going to be deported?

38 posts in this topic

Okay, so I am a total dipshit and possibly just really screwed myself. So...as a US citizen I was supposed to register both my address with the Einwohnermeldamt once I moved to Frankfurt and then register myself with the Ausländer...something..thingie once I had done that. I did register with the Einwohnermeldamt, but then I moved, and I was supposed to reregister under my new address...but I sorta never got around to doing that yet. AND, I never registered with the foriegner's office either.

Why?

1. Because these offices are never freaking open.

2. Because Germans scare me, and Germans sitting behind big desks wearing uniforms scare me even more.

3. Because I tend to put off unpleasant bureaucratic errands until I get some sort of threatening letter that significantly lights a fire under my ass to get it done.

4. Because I am a retard.

So today I got a call from the Ordungsamt about it and I ran down there and they had a very official looking letter for me that said I was supposed to have come for a meeting with somebody to sort out my status here, but that meeting was on the 15 of January...and of course I wasn't there because I didn't know about it. The letter went on to tell me that, should I miss the meeting "decisions" would be made with regard to my case...including my possible deportation.

So obviously I will be calling bright and early tomorrow to apologize and beg to be allowed to come in for a rescheduled meeting...but um...here's my question.

1. Has anyone else been through this and how did they resolve it?

2. What should I say to the nice terrifying German bureaucrats? I'm a student here (have only been here since September and will only stay till July) ALSO I'm not working, I'm just living on a stipend and my student loans. Also I was in France for a little while, so not in the BRD the whole time. Does any of this mitigate my case?

I would love to here any and all advice you have...Except that I really DON'T want a whole bunch of lecture-y emails or replies about how stupid I am, or about how I really should do things on time, or generally trying to scaring the crap out of me even more...because, I'm losing my shit here already. thanks.

gosh poor you! i really sympathise cos it took me about a year to register but luckily just got a few 'tutts' from the officials - but maybe being EU is different I hate to say. anyway, if i hear anything helpful will let you know, in the meantime don't worry, am sure they won't deport you and if they try they'll have to contend with us. :)

Just a quick note to wish you luck tomorrow. I haven't been in your particular situation, but whenever I've had to deal with officialdom here in Frankfurt, I've always, without exception, found them to be friendly and helpful.

And I don't think they'll be wearing uniforms. Well, if you don't count a suit as uniform. They'll not be wearing the colourful ones with brass buttons and stripes anyway, is what I meant. :ph34r:

Try to be there 15-20 mins before your appointment. First let them talk to you, don't interrupt, when you are given the chance to talk, excuse yourself and tell them you were not aware of the consequences. Since they haven't met you yet, this will leave a good impression.

They just don't like any illegals running around in Germany and this is why they are so strict.

I don't understand why you didn't know about the meeting on the 15th of January? They never sent out a letter to you?

then register myself with the Ausländer...something..thingie

Ausländermeldeamt. Some cities have 'em, others (like Munich) have a KVR or something similar where it's all taken care of in the same place.

but then I moved, and I was supposed to reregister under my new address...but I sorta never got around to doing that yet.

Dumbass. Seriously. You KNEW that you were supposed to re-register and didn't.

AND, I never registered with the foriegner's office either.

Extra-super dumbass.

You are a guest in a foreign country. You are required to follow their rules.

1. Because these offices are never freaking open.

You have NO excuse or even any mitigation in their eyes. They're open long enough. The times may be inconvenient as hell but it's your own damned fault for not making the effort to get there then,. Clearly you don't want to stay in Germany badly enough to make that little effort.

2. Because Germans scare me, and Germans sitting behind big desks wearing uniforms scare me even more.

Why the hell did you come here then?

3. Because I tend to put off unpleasant bureaucratic errands until I get some sort of threatening letter that significantly lights a fire under my ass to get it done.

By which time -- in this country -- it's too damned late.

4. Because I am a retard.

You said it, sister!

So today I got a call from the Ordungsamt about it and I ran down there and they had a very official looking letter for me that said I was supposed to have come for a meeting with somebody to sort out my status here, but that meeting was on the 15 of January

Did YOU get a copy of that letter? Did you perhaps avoid opening it for fear of what might be inside? If you truly didn't get the letter you may have a chance. Something of that level of importance is usually sent with a requirement to get your signature on delivery.

So obviously I will be calling bright and early tomorrow to apologize and beg to be allowed to come in for a rescheduled meeting

Probably too late.

Based on what you've said, you really have no mitigation and very little hope. Here's what you do:

1) Go down there, be honest with them and explain your situation CALMLY.

2) DO NOT BE A RETARDED AMERICAN. No one there cares about your perception of "fair" nor do they want to hear your life story.

3) Be calm

4) Explain how this came to pass clearly and rationally and don't go off on any tangent

5) Don't give them any sob stories. They've heard 'em all.

6) As soon as they start to say anything, shut up and listen.

7) When they ask you any question, answer that and THAT ONLY.

8) When you apologise, be sincere.

9) Be ready any terms they offer. If they say you can have a new meeting at 6:45a.m. on Thursday, you accept that.

IF they say that nothing can be done, that's when you start talking. Keep asking over and over what you might possibly be able to do. Jump through any hoop and eat as much humble pie as necessary. Otherwise it's Goodbye, BRD.

woof.

I don't understand why you didn't know about the meeting on the 15th of January?

they would probs have sent the letter out to her old original address that she registered. Unless she has a post forwarding thing activated with the Deutsche Post then I guess it wouldn't have arrived.

I'm sure you will be fine Astridjane! If you need any further help after your meeting etc then just let us know :)

Hows your German? Mines ok to get around but not good enough for anything official. If your in the same boat, do you have anyone that can go with you?

YOUR HIWI CAN HELP. If your uni doesn't give you a hiwi take a PROF! ;)

HIWI = Hilfswissenschaftler. Student Assistant. for pete's sake the word HELP is in their title! Or your Studentische Auslandsamt thingie can help too. Use the uni resources, they're used to dissertation writers who are... here's a good vocab word for you AJ -- weltfremd. ;)

Astrid Jane, as a first class procrastinator myself, you have my sympathy.

Taking someone with you that speaks German if you don't is very good advice.

Hope it works out for you in the end. Let us know :)

My German is pretty good, and, yes, the letter was sent to my old address and thus I did not recieve it until I was contacted by the Ordnungsamt today. The nice man at the Ordungsamt actually told me that he was sure I would be fine, so long as I got in touch with the office promptly and didn't let it slide.

The self-depreciating wording in my original post was meant to express that, yes, I am aware that this is my fault...it was also meant to be somewhat funny. I wasn't so much expecting everyone in Munich to chime in and use this opportunity to tell me what a generally bad and disappointing person I am...er...especially after I indicated that I was not so much looking for a bunch of lectures but rather polite and helpful advice. But what's the Internet for, really, if not for flaming people you've never met? So...um...thanks...um...again...and please everyone stop trying to help now. Really. I feel much, much better. Enough.

I am also sure that you'll be fine too. Just talk to them and I am sure they'll just give you a little fine or something.

I don't think you'll even get fined. I cannot emphasize enough, you are at the UNI and Germany is very interested in keeping you happy. An sich.

Saying you'll be fine and don't worry is all well and good for lifting your spirits but I really think the list of 9 items provided by Snoopy is spot on the money. It's practical real world advice. Cuddles are fine but in this situation, which potentially affects your ability to stay here, the practical advice is much more useful.

hmm..hope this all works out caus im in a similar situation :unsure:

im just gonna tell them iv been backpacking and didnt know i was ment to register with the new family im working for as I thought my aupair visa covered it all. only worried that 3 monthes is more than im allowed to backpack around europe for.

Just remember to take ALL your paperwork with you, even the things you don't really expect them to be interested in and definitely anything from the Uni that confirms your purpose and length of stay.

Actually Cabbage, I know there are more than 2 of us...'cause I've met people here who, like Boogielicious, waited quite a bit longer than you and me...and I know of a few TTers who've never done it at all.

Legally, if you know you're going to be in Germany longer than 3 months, you're supposed to register with the Ausländermeldamt...It was that three month deadline I was thinking of when I was dragging my feet since Sept. 'Course now I've exceeded my three months...by about 5 weeks...it was sortof a time getting away from me kinda thing.

Anyway, you can probably just say you weren't planning on staying longer than three months...but here it is...three months on and you're still here. So, like a good little girl you've trotted down to your local AMA to register. They might get baggy on you for not registering your address...but when I was in Berlin at Goethe Inst for three months 2 years ago, I was neither required to register with the Ordnungsamt NOR the AMA because my stay was just under the three month mark...so then again, there's a decent chance you're totally in the clear.

As for me: I WAS actually planning on just 'fessing up, apologizing, and saying that I hadn't known I'd be staying past three months. I wasn't going to barge in there in a tube top and hotpants, cracking my gum and screaming 'YO, BITCHEZ...can I get some service over here???...DON'T MAKE ME CALL MY EMBASSY!!' or whatever a...what was it...'Typical Lameass American' would do?

AJ, you will be fine. There is a world of difference between being in the country illegally and merely failing to register your address, the latter probably carrying a penalty of a small fine. It sounds like some people here have fallen victim to a rather excessive form of bureaucratic authority worshipping.