Hurricane Kyrill updates for Frankfurt-Rhein-Main

20 posts in this topic

I am going home very soon as my boss will let us go home early due to hurricane. I am not sure what you are plans are for the afternoon, mine is going home and staying home at this moment in time. :unsure:

Some helpful links:

About the situation on the autobahns. This is the link to the autobahn cams, the site also provides a list of all the possible problems that already exist on the autobahn like traffic jams.

Webcam Hessen Autobahns

Delays in local buses and trains.

Update on local transportation

Weather experts tell the public that they shouldn't go outside after the afternoon hours.

Weather warning

We're being sent home too!

Was planning on going to the FDC dinner tonight, wonder if it's going to be advisable to leave the house round 8... :huh:

Well to me it just seems like any other windy day in Wales at the moment.

I know it is going to get worse but I do not think bad enough not to leave the house! Ok it is probably not advisable to drive anywhere but I think going by foot is going to be fine!

I emailed all the FDC people for tonight telling them to let me know if they are still planning on coming or not :P

Boooo no webcam for my motorway home :(

Well, I'm still planning on coming... unless falling trees and roof tiles are going to keep me from getting there safely. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm still planning on coming... unless falling trees and roof tiles are going to keep me from getting there safely.

Evanna don't forget the plant pots...they are probably going to the get knocked down too. :rolleyes:. Does anyone have any American football outfits I could borrow for tonight. I think that might protect me while I am walking down the street during a storm. :D

Wusses. You are all a big bunch of wusses.

Where I come from we have winds that haven't touched land for 4,000 miles, where EVERY DAY is windy. I'm sitting in my office at the moment looking outside and the trees are barely moving...

A colleague has just emailed me to say flights from Frankfurt to Munich have all been cancelled. She is unsure whether it's because of issues down here, up there or both.

Where I come from we have winds that haven't touched land for 4,000 miles, where EVERY DAY is windy. I'm sitting in my office at the moment looking outside and the trees are barely moving...

I was thinking somewhere similar it is just like a normal windy day in Wales!

Going to head home now though not so much for the weather but if I have the chance to skive I may as well take it :P

A colleague has just emailed me to say flights from Frankfurt to Munich have all been cancelled. She is unsure whether it's because of issues down here, up there or both.

according to Lufthansa website they are all on time. Flights to from London City from Frankfurt have been cancelled though

Now we have been sent home too! I have drafted an email of protest to our CEO calling him a big girly-man and that he should be embarrassed of himself because...[thats enough, Ed]

I agree matey. even now it looks just like a mild storm outside, doesn't look that bad at all. the rain looks far worse than the wind, although maybe it's gonna get a lot worse later on..

and anyway, since when has this been a hurricane? :blink:

So are the restaurants and bars open tonight in frankfurt or they shutting down?

Want to go out to celebrate our anniversary. Not fancy just required.

Or maybe I should get storm provisions and stock up.

Or maybe I should get storm provisions and stock up.

I did that last night. Forgot to get candles though. I mean you don't know if the electricity might get knocked out.

The storm is supposed to be at it's worst between 21:00-24:00 hrs.

Nope. BF or H2B still thinks we are going out for drink later to celebrate our anniversary. Although judging by the way he's cursing in Italian and banging at keyboard (some work thing) that's not going to happen.

And he's usually the cautious one.

To be honest, the weather doesn't seem to be getting up to much at the moment, and, it's actually a lot quieter out than it was about three hours ago. I'm thinking I might nip out for a quick drink myself. And, though I can't see them from my place, that regular distant rumble I hear suggests that the trams at least are still running...

Perhaps it's the eye of the storm. Beware

But H2B has stopped cursing, so out to brave the storm and have a celebratory drink

I thought the storm (come on it wasn't a hurricane!) was pretty pathetic last night, it certainly didn't feel any windier than other nights we've had here. Then about 11ish I heard this huge crash, but looked out of the window and couldnt see anything...Half an hour later there was this weird humming and I looked oout to see the firebrigade, with a generator and a big spotlight lighting up the huge tree that had crashed from my flat's communal garden, onto a van, taking out a street light and bending the railings in the process. It's such a big bastard that they just sawed off the overhanging branches and left it there. No one was hurt, as far as I know. I'm just shocked, because the weather really didn't seem that bad, and the tree is a huge old thing.