Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Assistance with filing American tax returns

35 posts in this topic

My tax people informed me that a check should arrive at my last known US address, although it might take a while. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nkwal said:

Any word on if US citizens living abroad who are current on filing their taxes in US will be able to get the 2020 corona virus stimulus checks?

 

Sounds like he is an American filing from Germany as well.

 

I didn't get anything in 2008 but this may be different.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it truly appalling that...

You're an American and living in a foreign country.  You carry a passport, so do a damn tax return because we want part of your income.  Pay your fair share!

You're an American and living in a foreign country.  No stimulus check for you, because you live in a foreign country.  No share for you!

I do hope for you all, that I am wrong on that last point and a check arrives to help support you during this crisis.  At least it's relatively automatic in the US.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Metall said:

What about Americans filing from Germany?


apparently, if you've filed in 2018/2019, have a social security number, and meet the financial requirements to get the money (even US residents filing abroad) it will be either direct deposited into your account if the IRS already has the information from previous refunds, or sent as a check to the last known address in the states. 
 

I am not a tax person, I am just relaying the information I received. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I've read this too in some places. It's basically an attempt at buying your vote, but I'll take it. I have to file my return for the first time, though, and then do the amnesty thing... this is just the kick in the pants I've needed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI...today I received my stimulus check at my German mailing address. I filed my 2019 taxes back in March and used my address here. I did try to use the IRS tracker and could never get logged in so I was obviously pleased when I saw it in my mailbox today! It is valid for one year, so I guess I will cash it next time I am in USA.

 

Good luck to anyone else waiting for one!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks,

 

Yes, US citizens living abroad are eligible for the EIP (economic impact payment).  The 2019 tax return will be used to determine eligibility.  If the 2019 tax return has not been filed, then the 2018 return will be used.  If the taxpayer received a refund on their latest return and used direct deposit, the EIP will be sent to that bank account.  If there is no bank account information associated with the tax return, a check will be mailed to the last address the taxpayer filed from.  

 

Social Security recipients are also eligible for the EIP.  The EIP will be deposited in the bank account they use for social security, if they meet the EIP requirements.  

 

Paper checks are being mailed now through mid-September. 

 

S.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nkwal said:

FYI...today I received my stimulus check at my German mailing address. I filed my 2019 taxes back in March and used my address here. I did try to use the IRS tracker and could never get logged in so I was obviously pleased when I saw it in my mailbox today! It is valid for one year, so I guess I will cash it next time I am in USA.

 

Good luck to anyone else waiting for one!


do you still have a US bank account? On my American bank’s (USAA) app, you can cash checks directly through the app. Granted USAA is designed for people living abroad, but I think it’s pretty common with most major US banks now. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

Folks,

 

Yes, US citizens living abroad are eligible for the EIP (economic impact payment).  The 2019 tax return will be used to determine eligibility.  If the 2019 tax return has not been filed, then the 2018 return will be used.  If the taxpayer received a refund on their latest return and used direct deposit, the EIP will be sent to that bank account.  If there is no bank account information associated with the tax return, a check will be mailed to the last address the taxpayer filed from.  

 

Social Security recipients are also eligible for the EIP.  The EIP will be deposited in the bank account they use for social security, if they meet the EIP requirements.  

 

Paper checks are being mailed now through mid-September. 

 

S.


The IRS confirms this on their online FAQs about the Economic Impact Payments. Glad to see they see us as the full-fledged, tax-paying/filing Americans we are :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MollyWolly said:


do you still have a US bank account? On my American bank’s (USAA) app, you can cash checks directly through the app. Granted USAA is designed for people living abroad, but I think it’s pretty common with most major US banks now. 


I still do. I have capital one 360 which has a mobile app with check deposit. However, you have to be located in the USA to use that function. I have tried with multiple vpns from Germany, but it always has a problem with it. Once I texted the photos of the check to a friend, had her login to my acct from the USA and do it. But that’s so much effort 😂

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nkwal,

 

You may be able to use the app if you also have VPN software on your phone to deposit the check.  You would select a VPN server in the US and then try the mobile deposit feature in the app.

 

Disregard, I see you have already tried using a VPN.  

 

S.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how this stimulus would next year be handled in German taxes? Would it be taxable income or be income which is under Progressionsvorbehalt, or neither? I quickly looked at 32b EStG and to me it isn't clear. I guess the real answer would be to call the Finanzamt next year and ask their opinion, but does anyone know from previous stimuli?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020, 11:06:25, DerAuslaender said:

Does anyone know how this stimulus would next year be handled in German taxes? Would it be taxable income or be income which is under Progressionsvorbehalt, or neither? I quickly looked at 32b EStG and to me it isn't clear. I guess the real answer would be to call the Finanzamt next year and ask their opinion, but does anyone know from previous stimuli?

 

I would also really love to know this... the IRS doesn't view the stimulus check as taxable income, you get to keep it all.

 

On the other hand, I've heard that the German Fiskus regards, for example, the stimulus payments that fully self-employed people got here as normal taxable income. 

 

Would love to know if they will regard the US stimulus payments the same way or respect the designation as non-taxable income... anybody got information on this? Could call the Finanzamt, but you know what they say about schlafende Hunde...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0