Family cars suitable for three kids

99 posts in this topic

toyota verso. just make sure if it is the 2.2 dcat (like mine) it's had the engine checked by toyota as mine was replaced because of a head gasket failure.

Kia Karens or Honda FRV also worth looking at

2014 VW Touran 1.4 TSI, or a 2015 Nissan X-Trail 1.6D 4x4?

Two kids and paraphernalia, visiting family and friends, only family car, low mileage (kilometer-age), will. be kept for 4-5 years, maybe longer. Needs to be safe and dependable with cheap servicing possible.

Any feedback on either? 

B

I have a VW Touran with the 2.0 litre Diesel engine (rather different compared to the 1.4 TSI I guess) as company car.  Best car we ever had. Wished we had had it when the kids were young & at home.

I doubt though if any car has "cheap servicing".

I've read there are timing chain issues with the 1.4 TSI engine. They stretch quickly and fail. We were considering a Skoda Fabia with that engine, and we liked how it ran. But, I didn't want to deal with a timing chain issue and a used car dealer :/

Ended up with a Skoda Fabia 1.4 regular gasoline, which is much more sluggish though, so in the end, still not 100% happy.

I've had two Touran 2.0 TDIs.  One with DSG and one with 6 speed manual. Excellent engine, runs forever. Both ran from 0K to 120K+ with no problems.  I preferred the DSG because it is essentially a box but because it is based on the Golf platform, it's not a bad handling box. :)   With all of the traffic jams and 2 second traffic lights in Germany, I think the DSG is worth the extra money.  And I never once used the third row of seats.  

Eurovol just needs to calm his obsessive car safety thing down a bit.Think about it people- back when we were kids we all used to covet that middle back seat so we could ride holding onto the two front seats! (obviously sans seatbelts!) I'm not saying that seatbelts, car seats, and air bags aren't good inventions, but lets keep things in perspective here now! 

you mean the age where car accidents would kill people like flies, despite low car density and lower average speeds? Lets keep things in perspective here now!

Freshening it up a little with a new question...

We are having trouble with our much beloved Honda FR-V which is now 8/9 and beginning to become expensive - last year an issue with the key/central locking had it off the road for a week, caused 2 separate ADAC moments, and had us stuck outside my brother's house in the UK for a half day whilst a very dodgy (in a professional kind of way) guy sorted a temporary fix to allow us to continue our visit. And cost over 600€ overall.

Now it has been AWOL for nearly two weeks at two different garages having something to do with the fuse box replaced (maybe the fuse box itself and some other stuff) at a cost of over 1500€.

It is the most awesome car for families of 6 - it has two rows of three and a reasonable boot, so no-one is sitting in the boot, and with the back seats down, there is plenty of cargo room. It is not replaceable any longer  *sniff* and even the pug-ugly Multipla is no longer being made.

Do we endlessly mend our lovely friend, do we go for something different, and if so, what? I have come up blank on real alternatives, and have basic safety issues with kids sitting in 'extra' boot seats, but maybe I am just paranoid. Our friends all recommend  a minivan, usually the VW, but we have just bought a new house, and do not have the mega-bucks required for one. Anyone used the Ford transit version? Or anything similar?

Thank you for your thoughts.

E 600 + E 1500 makes € 2.100.- .Less than a brand new car would lose in value in the first year only. And brand new cars also leave you in the middle of nowhere with a sign in the dashboard saying" We don't drive any more today."

Keep it. Unless it has a outrageous mileage of 300.000 km or more you will be happy with it  for another 5 years as long as you remember that they all are expensive. Either when you buy them or either you have to pay a bit for upkeep and repairs.

Reviving this topic... any idea or suggestions for a Tiguan with 3 child seats? We just bought the Tiguan less than 2 years ago before baby #2, and now with #3 on the way it looks like a tight fit. When new baby is born, my other kids will be 2 and 4, the older one in an upright booster.

We drive daily to work/Kita and the occasional 2.5 hour drive to Oma and Opa's every 2 months or so. But we don't do much road tripping... so for now, a Multivan would be excess.

At the end of the day, I might just trade in the Tiguan for a Sharan... and later when the kids are bigger eventually the Multivan.

Just love how nippy and relatively compact my Tiguan is. I know there are no ISOFIX connectors in the middle seat... but maybe buying more narrow car seats might help?

Suggestions??

How about opinions on handling/parking the Tiguan vs Sharan?

thanks!

On 14.1.2007, 11:38:07, Melly said:

We have three kids (1.5, 4, 6) and don't feel like freaks here, though a bit unusual. We drive a VW Sharan which is amazingly peppy and accomodates all of us + two additional passengers. Don't know the mileage, but it doesn't seem too bad and parking's been easier than we ever imagined. Three's a blast - even if the logistics prove challenging at times. Good luck!

Seat Alhambra is "baugleich" with VW Sharan and costs a few thousand less ...

I've just been looking at the Alhambra today, as it happens.  Gets very good reviews and seems v. flexible in terms of configuring on the fly in the 7-seater version. 

We're thinking about replacing our old 5+2 seater Zafira and have looked at a few similar models. The Citroen C4 Grand Picasso is nice but not the cheapest option even second hand. 

On 5/30/2016, 8:07:33, mrgalak said:

Seat Alhambra is "baugleich" with VW Sharan and costs a few thousand less ...

Yes, thanks! This is what we ended-up trading our Tiguan (Diesel-gate) for a newer Alhambra (no Diesel-gate). Have been perfectly happy with it, fits all 3 kids and big car seats comfortably.. and can also take Oma and Opa too!

That's what no one ever mentioned to me... get the bigger car, even with just 2 kids.. you always end-up taking a kid for a playdate/football practice, and Oma and Opa too!

I bought a used Ford Focus wagon, diesel.  It had loads of room for us and our two kids at the time, with car seats and gear, plus it doubled as a work truck when I was doing gardening work on the side.  Tons of power for pulling a good sized trailer, I pulled gravel, stones and had the back totally loaded up with tools and materials, plus it got under 6 L per 100 km.  Cheap, reliable, strong car.  Bought it for 2700 Euros, sold it three years later for 1900.  Best car I ever owned, easily big enough for a family of five. 

I only regrettably sold it when our expected third kid turned out to be twins...  We made do with a Chrysler Voyager for a while, also loads of room, but brutal on gas.  When the transmission blew, we scrapped it and I bought a reasonable work truck that doubles as a family wagon - an Iveco Daily doppelkabine pritschenwagen.  Showing up at the Ferienwohnung with that thing gets some funny looks, especially when the kids start piling out!

The VW Multivans are rolling debt prisons, and VWs in general are way overvalued for what you get IMO, but at least you get to look cool as your retirement age gets pushed out.