Family cars suitable for three kids

99 posts in this topic

I'd never heard of this so I looked it up. It's basically a Chrysler Voyager with a VW grill, so you could get the same vehicle here, just with a Chrysler badge. Of course it probably costs 50% more.

Yep. That's why we go to the Chrysler dealer for oil changes etc. It is the Town & Country in the US and I think ours is like the Grand Voyager here as it is quite long. They are made in Canada just to mix things up. Supposedly it has German suspension and the like, but even the engine is Chrysler. The VW people here were less than helpful - they opened up their books and basically told us "nope, we can't do anything, we don't know what size tires you have", etc when I showed up for my service appointment...really made me not want to buy another VW for how useless they were. The Chrysler people have been much better.

safest cars for families - volvo wagons, honda odyssey, toyota siennasafest car seats - britaxIf you truly love/care about your children you won't even consider anything else, except for maybe a 930 turbo perhaps...

Nice. First of all, I believe that all car seats are safe. Some are easier to use/install which makes them perhaps safer to use, - but all car seats have to pass the same level of safety tests. I much preferred our Maxi Cosi priori to the Britax marathon...

Watch out those Toyota's don't start accelerating on you (weren't they involved in that recall as well?) OK, they weren't in the recall. We didn't buy the Sienna or the Odyssey as I wouldn't have been able to find my car in the parking lot at the "Y" - so many people have them. Then we went and moved to Germany. Go figure.

My kids are half German. If I attach them to the roof with rope they will surely die from the draught.

I actually laughed out loud on this one. Then I showed it to my husband and he did too.

Legally you have to use a ski-box. What did you do with the other 3 kids?

Another gut buster - thanks for the laughs! :lol:

The VW people here were less than helpful - they opened up their books and basically told us "nope, we can't do anything, we don't know what size tires you have", etc when I showed up for my service appointment...really made me not want to buy another VW for how useless they were. The Chrysler people have been much better.

To be fair, it's a completely alien vehicle to them, non of their mechanics would have been trained on how to service it, they wouldn't know where to get any replacement parts and as they are responsible if the vehicle breaks down after they've serviced it, under the VW mobility guarantee, I don't blame them. The Chrysler dealer obviously knew it was one of theirs, just with the badges chiselled off and replaced with VW ones and would therefore be much happier dealing with it.

I'd forgotten that you mentioned Dacia. My last car was a Renault and was probably the most unreliable car I've ever owned. I'm not alone in this viewpoint either, if you have a look at that link Jimbo gave about the JD Power results. Dacia are owned by Renault, can you imagine how bad they are going to be if they are even cheaper than a normal Renault? As has been seen with various chinese vehicles that have come to western Europe, cheap labour is not the only reason these things are cheap.

How could I forget the Toyota Verso. Another one I quite like but seems higher priced for some reason?

To be fair, it's a completely alien vehicle to them, non of their mechanics would have been trained on how to service it, they wouldn't know where to get any replacement parts and as they are responsible if the vehicle breaks down after they've serviced it, under the VW mobility guarantee, I don't blame them. The Chrysler dealer obviously knew it was one of theirs, just with the badges chiselled off and replaced with VW ones and would therefore be much happier dealing with it.

Well they sure were more than happy to clear out the show room and all drool over the car when I brought it in - running around like giddy little children out for recess. Then had no trouble making an appointment for me. I should have known when we went in to talk to the parts guys (in reference to getting rims to put our winter tires on) when they started pulling the "don't know the tire size" line of though. Gee, I don't know, I realize it is not a VW sold here, but one would think that they could find out. From somewhere. Anyways, if they didn't want to help me then they shouldn't have given me an appointment. Or they could have called to cancel my appointment once they didn't get the info they needed. It was just a really shitty Monday morning and ironically I wanted to call and cancel my appointment but didn't end up doing so as I didn't want to ruin their schedule and cancel at the last minute. Oh well, that doesn't belong in this thread.

And the Chrysler guys had no clue, never heard of the car. They were just willing to help. They did our oil change and will get our business. The local VW place won't - it wasn't so much that they couldn't help us, it was the manner in which they decided to deal with me about it.

How could I forget the Toyota Verso. Another one I quite like but seems higher priced for some reason?

Toyotas have a good reputation for being reliable. You can ignore the current hype about their recalls, all cars have them, I'm not sure why they've been singled out. They are however, the automotive equivalent to a washing machine, useful but extremely dull.

Toyotas have a good reputation for being reliable.

Agreed. My wife had two second-hand Corollas over a period of about 15 years (the first got rammed which wasn't the car's fault).

Good value.

The VW Sharan is being replaced by a successor. There may be some good deals from dealers who have to clear their stock. However, the Sharan was the oldest model in VW's European lineup. I know some large families who were quite happy with it, though.

There is also quite a range of cars geared towards families from Citroen, ranging from the Grand C4 Picasso to the Jumpy (which is quite huge).

The Routan is a Chrysler made in Canada, but it has some slightly different bits. if you want the fold away seats, you have to by a Chrysler version. About the smallest thing that we get over here without going the minivan route that has a legitimate 3rd row is a Honda Pilot. The Chrysler Pacifica used to do the trick, but it is no more. The BMW X5 does not fit the bill. it is no bigger than a Cayenne.

Generally speaking, you should expect to get around 22-23 mile per gallon for a Chrysler minivan and that would be a bit painful for you guys..

Out of leftfield, perhaps, but what about a diesel Volvo XC90 SUV? Pricier, but arguably a better car than anything mentioned here so far. Also, in stark contrast to the JD Power satisfaction survey Autocar, as I confirmed this afternoon, would argue that the best MPV on the market is the S-Max...

Or horses. No gas prices, eviromentally friendly(unless a walker) , and looks cool in the family christmas photo.

Shit I might get one, hell might get some kids while I am at it.

Generally speaking, you should expect to get around 22-23 mile per gallon for a Chrysler minivan and that would be a bit painful for you guys..

Ah, but they sell a diesel engined version over here, which does a lot better. Not very fast though.

The Routan is a Chrysler made in Canada, but it has some slightly different bits. if you want the fold away seats, you have to by a Chrysler version. About the smallest thing that we get over here without going the minivan route that has a legitimate 3rd row is a Honda Pilot. The Chrysler Pacifica used to do the trick, but it is no more. The BMW X5 does not fit the bill. it is no bigger than a Cayenne. Generally speaking, you should expect to get around 22-23 mile per gallon for a Chrysler minivan and that would be a bit painful for you guys..

that mileage would have to be highway. I think our window sticker was 18/25 (city/highway) for the Routan. If you mean by fold away seats for the second row - I guess that might be right. But the 3rd row seats fold down. All in all I like the car - but I can't compare it to other minivans. Oh yeah, the gas mileage does suck over here, but buying a second car and paying for insurance, registration and whatever else there is still costs more...I am not sure if VW is bringing out a similar model here, as when I did go to the VW place, the manager looked at the car and said "oh, the new Sharan"

Many thanks for all the advice on this one. Finally plumped for a 3 year old 1.9 diesel Zafira today. Seems a reasonable car at a reasonable price and isn't 'butt ugly' , a criteria that was knocking out some of my other options.

Tip of the hat to Jimbo. Tried a 1.6 petrol and the 1.9 Diesel's a different car. So much better to drive.

you cant go wrong with a zafira, common as muck, cheap parts everywhere,and when visitors come you can roll out the extra seats in the back, I can testify that the seats resist childrens icecream, crisps, muddy boots ect.A good alround family bus.

You seem to have missed the Renault Grand Scenic and of course the Opel Zafira. Not all VW Tourans have the 3rd row of seats. There's also a VW version of the Galaxy, the Sharan.

Yes, the joint venture between VW & Ford in 1995. Produced the VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy and also the Seat Alhambra.