Family cars suitable for three kids

99 posts in this topic

Aside from the two extra folddown seats in the boot/trunk of the Zafira, the fact that it's only as big as normal estate car makes it easier to park, and manouver.

A child seat should hold the belt in the right position at the shoulder and also over the lap (it should be across the pelvis not the stomach)

When you have three child seats in the back of the car it can be hard to access the seat belt points as they are between the seats, so try and use a vehicle that has seat belt points that are reachable, not buried deep in the upholstery.

If you need a larger car for a month why not try and negotiate a rental - it would give you time to sell the Golf too.

New child seats using fixing points in the seats called ISOFIX mountings - worth looking out for. I'd suggest a VW Touran or a Renault Scenic, Ford S-Max, Ford C-Max, Citroen Picasso...any small MPV thing will be great. Have a look around is the best advice.

Old thread bumped.

What's the current state of the market? There seem to be a plethora of options and every time I look I find another. In the 6/7 seat category , less than 5 years old and less than 70,000 km , there seems to be:

Honda FR-V (Me likey but they seem few and far between)

Mazda 5

Toyota Verso

Ford Galaxy/Seat version

Dacia Logan

VW Touran

VW Caddy

Nissan Qashqai-plus-2

Fiat Multipla (Though perhaps as the ugliest car on the road it's better to allow them all to be scrapped?)

Any more worth looking at?

I'm also finding it hard to search for cars with 6/7 seats. autoscout24.de seems to lack the option of searching on number of seats. Any other sites I can do this on?

Old thread is old, but I have a related question. Is is legal to sit 3 kids in the back sit? Someone told me it is not legal to sit a kid in the middle of the back sit.

You seem to have missed the Renault Grand Scenic and of course the Opel Zafira. Not all VW Tourans have the 3rd row of seats. There's also a VW version of the Galaxy, the Sharan.

True indeed. What I'm also finding is some are 5+2 and others really can seat 6/7.

There's probably a citroen and peugeot in there somewhere?

I get somewhat envious when I look across at the US market. They seem to have a lot more value there?

There is a peugeot/citroen model, the 807 is the Peugeot I believe. The most popular Citoen is the Picasso, but I'm fairly sure that's just a five seater. One other that I forgot is the Chrysler voyager, you need to look for the "Family" model as not all variants have the 3rd row of seats. I would also avoid the model that has the bench seat as the second row, it's really uncomfortable and even with the seatbelts on you tend to slide around on it.

Old thread is old, but I have a related question. Is is legal to sit 3 kids in the back sit? Someone told me it is not legal to sit a kid in the middle of the back sit.

If there is only a two point seat-belt for the middle seat, you are not allowed to put a car seat or a booster seat there (the kind that only consists of a base). However if there is a three point seat-belt for the middle seat, and room enough to fit three car seats in the back, it should be fine.

edit: there are some exceptions

Ford S-Max seats 7 and is supposed to be bigger than the current galaxy inside.

One of my colleagues has it and they are very happy with the car.

that's odd as that's the safest place in a car.

This thread is old, regarding a golf station wagon and 3 kids - but I have to say it is doable to fit 2 boosters and a baby seat (with a click in base even) in the back of a regular golf. I would nearly break my hand off every time trying to belt in my girls and some expletives were uttered during the buckling - but it was possible.

We are freaks and imported a VW Routan from the states. It is much longer than the Sharon and has loads of storage space even with 7 people sitting in it. Now I wouldn't recommend importing one as the gas mileage is crap and it is hard to park (keep thinking of installing a rear view camera) but we do get lots of looks & questions from people wondering just what the hell it is that we are driving.

Ford S-Max seats 7 and is supposed to be bigger than the current galaxy inside.

One of my colleagues has it and they are very happy with the car.

Another vote in favour (friends of ours, four children).

We had a VW Multivan. Which is a 7 seater with fold up table in the middle.

post-7126-12693396147437.jpeg post-7126-12693396061846.jpeg

Totally excellent to drive with it's high driver position. As well as tons of space and flexibility.

You can even take the kids and their friends for a great day out!

You seem to have missed the Renault Grand Scenic

My brother had the Renault Megane Scenic with 2 kids and with the third he moved up to the Grand Scenic which they drive all over Europe in. I don't know what the'll get if they have a 4th kid. Is there a Reet Grand Scenic?

We are freaks and imported a VW Routan from the states.

I'd never heard of this so I looked it up. It's basically a Chrysler Voyager with a VW grill, so you could get the same vehicle here, just with a Chrysler badge. Of course it probably costs 50% more.

Here’s a quick safety tip for those who are going to try the “three kids on one bench” thing. You can usually make it fit, but when you’re done, look at the buttons that release the belts and make sure that there is nothing near them.

I’ve got a narrow booster that I use in the middle seat of my 5-series BMW wagon for when we take my son’s friends with us. The first time I tried this we got about 3 kilometers down the road and my son’s seat-belt popped off. Basically, the booster seats and the seat-belts themselves are all pressing up against each other and when the kids shift their weight something could press the button.

I’m currently keeping my eyes open for a second narrow booster to make even more room. I can’t imagine regularly putting three kids back there; if we had another kid, I’d have to get a different car.

Dan

You can also put one of the kids in the front (with the proper child/booster seat) and let an adult sit on the middle section if need be.

That's the advantage of these people carrier type vehicles, they usually have 3 separate seats, which can often be slid back and forth enabling child seats to be easily fitted. A big advantage of a 3rd row is that the kids can be kept out of fighting range of each other, an important consideration on a long journey.