Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Comparing living in Frankfurt vs. Wiesbaden

7 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to the board which I think is great. I am from the UK and want to know which city is cheaper to rent an apartment and do some of them have a little garden as we want to bring our well behaved cat. To keep the cost down maybe it is better to rent unfurnished and bring the main things with us or start from scratch in Germany. Is it better to look for property in the local newspapers and what are landlord/landladies like with pets? Vielen Dank.Valeriea.

Hello Valeriea,

We just found a nice place in the outskirts of Frankfurt via immobilienscout24.

Well its always cheaper to rent a place unfurnished and if you can bring some basic stuff with you than do it rather than buying everything new here.

All the best with the search.

If you have any questions lemme know will try to help you.

Hi and welcome to the board,

I think what is average for both Frankfurt and Wiesbaden is about 10€ per square metre and this is what mine is the the centre of Frankfurt. To be honest if you want to live in the city you might be pushed to find something with a private garden and at a decent price. However you could well find a ground floor flat with shared garden.

I have never heard of anybody having problems with landlords and cats in Germany. It might say in the contract that you have to ask for permission but I think generally they are fine with it on the agreement that you pay for any damage the animal might cause.

I would say the best place to look is the papers but be prepared for a lot of people to be in the queue before you for the good places. I always think the best places are found through word of mouth so look around for signs of people looking for a 'Nachmieter' there are always people trying to move out of flats.

:) Thanks alot Punoo and Purple muffin for replying and for your advice.Vielen Dank! Valeriea.

I don't know about Frankfurt, but the general consensus seems to be that Mainz is cheaper and better value to rent than Wiesbaden. If that forces you to drive across one of the Rhein bridges every day, though, that could be an issue.

Wiesbaden is, in general, cheaper than Frankfurt but it depends what you want. Wiesbaden is a prettier city with generally less social problems but is also much quieter and doesn't have the nightlife that Frankfurt does...it's all about what you want I guess. Plus it is easy to get into Frankfurt for shopping or a night out. My work is in Wiesbaden which is ultimately why I chose to live here and not in Frankfurt...I couldn't hack that commute in the winter.

As a guide my place in Wiesbaden is 60 sq metres and right in the city centre and I pay 525 EUR kalt per month. To get anything that size in Frankfurt I would have to live a good way out from the centre and probably in "not the best" neighbourhood.

As a guide my place in Wiesbaden is 60 sq metres and right in the city centre and I pay 525 EUR kalt per month. To get anything that size in Frankfurt I would have to live a good way out from the centre and probably in "not the best" neighbourhood.

Not entirely true - you can get even cheaper flats in nice areas like Bornheim if you are willing to spend a while hunting for them. My place in Frankfurt / Bornheim is 59 sq metres and I pay only 440 EUR kalt per month. Generally, flats in old buildings are cheaper than the ones in new buildings. Again, it depends on what you are looking for. :rolleyes: