Why are you unhappy today?

12,826 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, emkay said:

I just got a handwritten invoice for a replacement microwave. No make, model, guarantee details. 

Cowboys. Must do better.

On 27/11/2022, 12:27:08, emkay said:

We’re very sad that we need to make the decision very soon to let our lovely Gracie cat leave us as peacefully as possible.  She’s only 8 years old and has been in palliative care for the last 2.5 years since her end stage kidney disease diagnosis. Her quality of life has been very good though now with the onset of dental pain, any added pain medication isn’t working well enough. Being highly sedated is no longer life quality. I’ve never had to make such a decision before. I’m just hoping to find a vet that will come to our house as I’d like Gracie to not have to go through the huge stress that she always suffers going to the vet. 😢

Such a rollercoaster day. A vet came over late afternoon to probably put Gracie to sleep. She was previously in the care of our local major vet hospital. From a local small clinic, the vet and her assistant both felt that Gracie wasn’t anywhere near her end of days despite end stage kidney disease. After an hour of treatment, removing a bad tooth (no anaesthesia necessary), antibiotics and pain relief, Gracie is feeling amazingly well. Of course we’ve no guarantee of ongoing wellness. She’s a fighter and just didn’t want to leave us until she’s ready. 

9 hours ago, emkay said:

Such a rollercoaster day. A vet came over late afternoon to probably put Gracie to sleep. She was previously in the care of our local major vet hospital. From a local small clinic, the vet and her assistant both felt that Gracie wasn’t anywhere near her end of days despite end stage kidney disease. After an hour of treatment, removing a bad tooth (no anaesthesia necessary), antibiotics and pain relief, Gracie is feeling amazingly well. Of course we’ve no guarantee of ongoing wellness. She’s a fighter and just didn’t want to leave us until she’s ready. 

Cats are amazing creatures. Their will to live is admirably strong. Good decision all round. 

My Maja is still going strong at 19 years despite almost starving herself to death about 2 years ago, when her sense of smell mysteriously failed her for a couple of months. Sense of smell miraculously returned and she's been eating well since then. 

2 hours ago, bramble said:

Cats are amazing creatures. Their will to live is admirably strong. Good decision all round. 

My Maja is still going strong at 19 years despite almost starving herself to death about 2 years ago, when her sense of smell mysteriously failed her for a couple of months. Sense of smell miraculously returned and she's been eating well since then. 

Might have been covid.

On 28/11/2022, 12:34:24, emkay said:

Unhappy and flummoxed! This is what happens when a letting agent replaces a faulty and irreparable integrated microwave without my approval. After the cost was deducted from rental income, I was assured there’s no unsightly void though finally got a photo as requested. 

Before and after…..

83DCA918-E6D7-40E8-997D-CFDB60E50EBE.jpe

Further unhappy and flummoxed. Just had a thought that freestanding microwaves need a minimum space around them to avoid any risk. I checked the manual for this one and it needs 20cm space sides and back and 30cm top. If the microwave is only 30cm high then the top space is less. The sides, probably no more than 1-2 cm. I’ve asked the agent to ask the tenant not to use it or move it somewhere safer.🙄

You might be overthinking this. There is plenty of room around that microwave. 

Edited to add: It is standing freely. Not even built in. 

On 28/11/2022, 13:40:12, emkay said:

Further proof, as if you need it, that your agents are dorks.  The insurance will not pay if damage ensues. It needs removing.

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

Further proof, as if you need it, that your agents are dorks.  The insurance will not pay if damage ensues. It needs removing.

Indeed! The agent just told me the tenant advised them that they are or will soon be away. Usually such advice is only necessary for longer term absence. At least the microwave won’t be used though I wonder if the heating will be left on as the UK is about to get much colder!

On 30/11/2022, 11:48:28, fraufruit said:

You might be overthinking this. There is plenty of room around that microwave. 

Edited to add: It is standing freely. Not even built in. 

I don’t think the house insurance would agree if anything happened. This type of mw get much hotter than a basic one…added grill etc. 

11 minutes ago, emkay said:

I don’t think the house insurance would agree if anything happened. This type of mw get much hotter than a basic one…added grill etc. 

Yep, if they have the dual thing that is true.  Cannot really see from the photo, is there really no ventilation in the unit?  

51 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Yep, if they have the dual thing that is true.  Cannot really see from the photo, is there really no ventilation in the unit?  

It’s a freestanding mw now placed in the old integrated mw place. 1-2 cm space all around is too much less than the stipulated 20cm. The least problem would be the unit overheats and no longer functions. I’d have to pay again for replacement. Guarantee void. Worst case, it’s a fire risk. No insurance would pay for an inappropriately used appliance. 

Now I wonder how such an appliance can be sold. People buy microwaves and put them on the countertop or on a shelf or all sorts. If it is dangerous and a fire hazard, how can it be sold? Never heard of such a thing.

Our freestanding one has space to the sides and above it, for those exact reasons. Not quite the amount it should have, but lots, and certainly way more than Emkay's one now has.

I wonder how the original set up was working.  The oven surely must have a heat outlet?  Plus the microwave above it?  Surely they were vented somehow.    Surely??

Whenever you built your microwave into the cabinetry or wall, you need at least 3 inches of breathing room on all sides to save the back (about an inch away at least) and the bottom (ditto). As mentioned above, a cabinet should be about 15 inches deep to accommodate most decent-sized built-ins.

To keep your built-in well-ventilated, it doesn’t necessarily need a duct-like OTR. Instead, your cabinet should (typically) be 15 inches deep or there’s at least 1-inch space between the wall and the back of the unit.

Additionally, there should be 3 inches of space all around it and an inch of space at the bottom. The International Residential Code recommends a 30-inch clearance between the stove and OTR microwave.

I've read a lot of links and instructions and there is nothing about trimming out the front of the microwave to cover the big hole. Only sides and back need to be vented.

10 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I just wondered if there was a vent in the original structure.  For the conventional oven, etc.

Hmm…you just made me think of another possible issue. The original oven and microwave were a set. The microwave unit has the front horizontal vents top and bottom. The shelf that the new microwave stands on was recently installed. So, where does the oven vent now?

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Now I wonder how such an appliance can be sold. People buy microwaves and put them on the countertop or on a shelf or all sorts. If it is dangerous and a fire hazard, how can it be sold? Never heard of such a thing.

The manuals state how much space around a freestanding microwave is necessary.