Why are you unhappy today?

12,793 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Let's hope they make a better job of it than the French who managed to announce the last Pope's death prematurely and had to do some backtracking cos he was still breathing. One thing 's for sure, there will be more of a hoo-haa than Mikhail got. Country will grind to an mass-hysterical halt. Time to proclaim a République Brute. Sorry, Brite.

Queen was announced dead in 2021.  Did not comment though.  I thought the whole "London Bridge Down" thing beign leaked was just stupid wanky stuff.  Of course there has to be a plan, but whatever.

7 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Wot?.  Bollocks.

Snowballs...   just sayin as an outside observer, after the Lady Di debacle. My opinion is that Charles fucked up.

23 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

Snowballs...   just sayin as an outside observer, after the Lady Di debacle. My opinion is that Charles fucked up.

Maybe without the " up."?😂

Anyway, an old lady has died and she played her role on the world stage. There have been far worse Heads of State in this world. I reckon even those Brits and elsewhere around the world who are not particularly royalist will agree with that.

23 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

Oh come on Techsballs, the whole thing is fucked up.  What I meant is I do not think Camilla is ambitous or was motivated to snuggle up to Chas to be Queen Consort..  And Diana perhaps did.  She was a pain in the arse, though she was young.  And not very  bright.  OK, she had some redeeming features but they had nothing in common.  Crazy shit.  Camilla (I wish I was your tampax) was his early love.  And he ended up back with her. 

Elizabeth died peacefully Thursday afternoon at at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. All four of her children and her grandson Prince William traveled there to be at her side.

Looks like Harry didn't make it.

Or they just didn't mention him.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Looks like Harry didn't make it.Or they just didn't mention him.

I do not think they would do that, really.  And I am a miserable cynical person.  Just think what a great thing that would be for their next Oprah expose of how they have such a cruel life.

Or perhaps you meant a news cock up.  That I can believe!

15 minutes ago, john g. said:

Maybe without the " up."?😂

Anyway, an old lady has died and she played her role on the world stage. There have been far worse Heads of State in this world. I reckon even those Brits and elsewhere around the world who are not particularly royalist will agree with that.

I

Disagree  Johngee,  definitely requires the 'up'.  He royally fucked up and the world  knows it. Feel bad about the ol gal, but Charles  is not perceived in the best light outside of the realm.

17 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Oh come on Techsballs, the whole thing is fucked up.  What I meant is I do not think Camilla is ambitous or was motivated to snuggle up to Chas to be Queen Consort..  And Diana perhaps did.  She was a pain in the arse, though she was young.  And not very  bright.  OK, she had some redeeming features but they had nothing in common.  Crazy shit.  Camilla (I wish I was your tampax) was his early love.  And he ended up back with her. 

I wasn't the one that called bollocks snowqueen but touché.  

I merely noted that Charles fucked up in the eyes of the world. Whether Lady Di was deserving amongst the people of GB, doesn't really matter in  the scheme of things. It only matters in the media. And if we compare the ol Camila to the pretty Lady Di, it's like comparing the ol wretched evil queen to the pretty up n coming princess.

8 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

I wasn't the one that called bollocks snowqueen but touché.  

I merely noted that Charles fucked up in the eyes of the world. Whether Lady Di was deserving amongst the people of GB, doesn't really matter in  the scheme of things. It only matters in the media. And if we compare the ol Camila to the pretty Lady Di, it's like comparing the ol wretched evil queen to the pretty up n coming princess.

Hey it was all bollocks.   He should have married Camilla.  No way should he have married Diana who was a very young vacuous MIlls and Boon fan.  Her father actually announced publicly that she was a virgin.  Jesus.  I was in London throughout and cringed through the complete cringy thing.  Why Charles did not marry Camilla seems weird now.  But at the time, it was the sort of thing that was approved of.  Diana ended up screwing the most appalling men.  Total wankers.  Really, not nice guys.  Was this Charles's fault too?  Or was she just an idiot.

10 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

And if we compare the ol Camila to the pretty Lady Di, it's like comparing the ol wretched evil queen to the pretty up n coming princess.

And so Charles got his true mate. Not much to look at himself.

He didn't marry Camilla because she was married.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Can t help wondering if she was already no more by the time the kids got there. Very careful wording. It was early evening by the time they arrived.

A great lady died. Her son is the king. I'm satisfied with just those two details now.

Nothing else matters or changes anything.

Not sure about your last statement. Monarchy could well topple. Which would change things somewhat. I fear for King Charles life once the hystéria wears off. He doesn t fit the frenzied media hungry bill on the photogenics front. 

Or the ecclésiastical bill. God on Earth. Hmmm. It is 2022.

While UK is distracted over the next week or so who is going to take advantage to do what ? Now that is old and cynical...

North Korea.

But Charlie is interested in topics that affect the younger generation - climate change, sustainable food production... he already ran an organic farm in the 80s! Maybe there's some common ground after all.

(IMHO he never should have been a royal - gentleman farmer maybe. ;) )

Definitely unhappy that the queen died this year, was hoping she'd make it long enough to out-reign Louis the however-many. She did well seeing in another Prime Minister earlier in the week, and kept doing her thing steadfastly right up until the end.

People in the UK have finally got used to the idea of Charles and Camilla I think. If David Attenborough says nice things about Charles III then it'll be fine :lol: since he's probably Most Trusted Public Figure.

Hopefully Charles will continue to streamline the monarchy, perhaps he will address the dodgy sifting of laws early in the process since that does rightly piss people off. 

Maybe he will turn out to be the right man at the right time - as Metall said, he has been outspoken about environmental concerns for decades. 

Odd life - your Mum dies and suddenly you're King. Very weird. 

The National Anthem will be even more mumbly for a while as people get their tongues around 'Our gracious King' which jars on so many levels. Hey ho.

11 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Definitely unhappy that the queen died this year, was hoping she'd make it long enough to out-reign Louis the however-many.

The English v French rivalry lives on.  God Save It.  Did you watch or read Macron.  Better than Truss, and he was speaking a foreign language.

4 hours ago, kiplette said:

Odd life - your Mum dies and suddenly you're King. Very weird. 

Edith Nesbit describes a sudden, unexpected accession to the throne in The Book of Dragons
I. The Book of Beasts

He happened to be building a Palace when the news came, and he left all the bricks kicking about the floor for Nurse to clear up—but then the news was rather remarkable news. You see, there was a knock at the front door and voices talking downstairs, and Lionel thought it was the man come to see about the gas, which had not been allowed to be lighted since the day when Lionel made a swing by tying his skipping rope to the gas bracket.

And then, quite suddenly, Nurse came in and said, "Master Lionel, dear, they've come to fetch you to go and be King."

david-rowe.png?resize=600%2C436&ssl=1

Charles III did the right thing - talking to his mourning subjects face-to-face.

Sorry, I can't resist quoting this gem from the Interwebs:

Charles from London posted a success story in Ask A Manager:
"After 73 years I’ve finally gotten a promotion at work!"