Why are you unhappy today?

12,585 posts in this topic

@Metall, I see the deaths of elderly people from the otherside - as a carer and we often build up a friendship with these people, even those who are in short term for palliative care who we know and they know only have at best a couple of months left.  It isn't easy for anyone, we often have relatives staying with us for hours waiting for their elderly relative to die and then once they've gone there's a sense of relief all round. This is not in a cold, callous way but because we as carers who do the checks and see the marbling of the flesh, the beginning of bed sores, the breathing difficulties amongst other things know that the suffering has finished. It also means the relatives can have peace and get on with things. So what I'm trying to say is that I empathise with what you went through but now it's time to enjoy the good memories of your DR from the past.

On 20.2.2022, 13:13:15, French bean said:

@Metall, I see the deaths of elderly people from the otherside - as a carer and we often build up a friendship with these people, even those who are in short term for palliative care who we know and they know only have at best a couple of months left.  It isn't easy for anyone, we often have relatives staying with us for hours waiting for their elderly relative to die and then once they've gone there's a sense of relief all round. This is not in a cold, callous way but because we as carers who do the checks and see the marbling of the flesh, the beginning of bed sores, the breathing difficulties amongst other things know that the suffering has finished. It also means the relatives can have peace and get on with things. So what I'm trying to say is that I empathise with what you went through but now it's time to enjoy the good memories of your DR from the past.

Thank you, that's very kind and insightful of you to say that.
I sincerely believe that witnessing the passing away of Dear Relative (and maybe in some small way comforting her) helped me greatly. I already have started the process of thinking / speaking of her fondly without flashing immediately to the hospital.

That's what I call the last gift of a generous woman.

I just missed a phone call and the lady left a voice message. She has a question about her Haftpflicht insurance. Fair enough. BUT " call me back straight away "... it is 10 in the evening. 

Who do people think they are? If not an emergency.. jeez.

It’s not really an unhappy, but I’m back at work tomorrow after a month off sick with COVID and I feel quite apprehensive about it. I didn’t rest properly as I had to keep doing work stuff, and I know there’s a mountain waiting for when I get back. It won’t be easy to ease myself back into it, and I see a real risk in me trying to catch up and making myself worse.

Not really unhappy but my father in law just passed. We are very relieved. He was 98 and has been miserable for a very long time.

May he rest in peace.

@fraufruit: We talked about this, I had an inkling the end of a very difficult situation was nigh. Call me any time if I can assist.

Please give my condolences to Himself!

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Not really unhappy but my father in law just passed. We are very relieved. He was 98 and has been miserable for a very long time.

May he rest in peace.

Our condolences, too.

Take care of yourselves.

@fraufruitMy condolences. I hope some measure of peace can be found by all affected.

I am having the blues. Feeling isolated and alone, having my life as I knew it crumble like rotted bricks. The stark contrast with the wonderful weather and still having to engage in pleasantries with neighbours is so jarring, it makes putting one foot in front of the other difficult. 

Just been to my local Real supermarket, it has signs up announcing its closure...

When I first moved here there were 3 local stores, Penny, Aldi and Walmart

Penny was the first to go, it's now an Asian restaurant, next was Walmart which was replaced by Real.

Aldi was demolished last year to make way for part of a large residential estate which is being built

Now Real has announced its closure, which seems odd because the housing estate will be on their doorstep.

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Just been to my local Real supermarket, it has signs up announcing its closure...

When I first moved here there were 3 local stores, Penny, Aldi and Walmart

Penny was the first to go, it's now an Asian restaurant, next was Walmart which was replaced by Real.

Aldi was demolished last year to make way for part of a large residential estate which is being built

Now Real has announced its closure, which seems odd because the housing estate will be on their doorstep.

Real is Russian owned.:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_(Einzelhandel)#:~:text=Real%20geh%C3%B6rt%20dem%20russischen%20Finanzinvestor,eine%20Tochter%20der%20Metro%2DGruppe.

Many have been closed. Our local Real was supposed to change hands (Edeka) this month, but now it has been taken over by the restructuring  company mentioned below. The name Real stays.

In February 2021, it was announced that the real.de website would be integrated into the kaufland.de website by Q2 2021.[43][44]
In 2021, the first 13 shops were transferred to Kaufland, which simultaneously initiated the start of the nationwide reflagging wave. The shops closed under the name real on 30 January 2021. Since then, more and more Real shops have been disappearing due to closures or reflagging by various competitors.[45] The previous owner's planned goal was to complete the entire liquidation of Real by the end of June 2022. Locations without subsequent use were to be closed. However, in January 2022 it was announced that the remaining 60 Real stores that will not be sold will not be closed, but will continue to operate as Real in the future. As planned, the previous owner will withdraw from the plan to break up real on 30 June 2022 and sell the remaining locations to a restructuring company led by the Frankfurt lawyer Sven Tischendorf. The restructuring is planned to ensure a long-term continuation under the real brand. The Real headquarters in Düsseldorf will be dissolved as planned, a successor company in Frankfurt am Main is to take over some of the tasks. Purchasing and logistics will be taken over by an external provider. On 13 April 2022, the Federal Cartel Office approved a purchasing cooperation between Rewe and Real.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

We've been back in this Cretan village with 500 souls since Saturday. 2 have died the last few days- the electrician's mother ( we didn't know her but we know the son ) , and Manoli. Manoli was the playboy here, 65 or so years old, basically an ex- good-looking guy who used to score with the women in his younger days. 

Collapsed at the taverna about 2 in the morning on Saturday whilst sitting next to a couple of our friends. Heart attack. Was abusive towards wine and raki for too long despite two by-pass operations. 

A guy who lived off family money and not someone who you would do business with but always friendly and with a smile on his face all the time.

They don't waste time here. Buried already.

I sold my Elton John tickets on Fansale - never got the payment, system contacting them is next to inmpossible, customer service, nada, contact nada - shit those were expensive tickets!!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61372712

Actor Dennis Waterman, known for his roles in TV shows including Minder, The Sweeney and New Tricks, has died, his family have said. He was 74.

A statement said: "We are deeply saddened to announce that our beloved Dennis passed away very peacefully at his home in Spain."

He died on Sunday afternoon with wife Pam at his side, they said.

"The family kindly ask that our privacy is respected at this very difficult time," they added.

Waterman found fame in his teens in the BBC drama William, and became one of the best-known faces on British television in the 1970s when he played Detective Sergeant George Carter opposite John Thaw in ITV's police drama The Sweeney.

He enjoyed more success from 1979 to 1994 as Terry McCann, the bodyguard and partner to George Cole's wheeler dealer Arthur Daley in Minder.