Why are you unhappy today?

12,610 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2021, 4:16:28, pappnase said:

In September my wife was given a terminal cancer diagnosis, but for the last few weeks she has been at home with us all and we were looking forward to a Christmas of sorts together.

This morning she was admitted to hospital again, and now I have to tell my kids that she won't be home for Christmas this year and she may not be home again.

I don't know how to do that.

On 12/20/2021, 8:58:17, pappnase said:

Yeah I thought it was important to add that detail after so many commented. This is tragic anyway, but if they had been little I really don't know how I would have coped.

You would have, I'm sure. Our best friend had to when his wife died 11 years ago.

He succeeded.

My heartfelt condolences - my brother died this year and one of our best friends (not the one above), that's why it took me so long to reply.

28 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

My condolences, Bramble. 

Appreciated. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think I see kittens in your future.

No, not anymore. Common sense tells me that at my age this is no longer an option. Firstly, I don't want to worry about them should I outlive them, which would invariably be the case. And secondly,  getting old and creaky will make it difficult to keep up with caring for them, like vet visits, cleaning up after them (moulting, cat toilets etc.). Instead I will increase my donations to animal welfare.  

5 hours ago, bramble said:

Yesterday Maxi went over the rainbow bridge to join my other deceased cats. He was 17 years old and fit as a fiddle until he slowly started losing weight the past few months. It was kidney failure and his weak condition forced me to take him to the clinic yesterday. Farewell my dear Maxi. You were a dear and gentle, loving companion for 17 years. I'm missing you. 

Here he is a few years ago hanging out on the patio:

AVvXsEhzHwk3tTNHMe35fllVmP9dos7XRv81-pXs

Maja, my other cat, 18 years old and Joker, my dog, 14 years old are left, but sadly their time is running out too.

On Christmas. Been there, done that...

I wish you strength.

You may take comfort in the fact that he had a long, happy and healthy (most times; and good care afterwards) life with you.

((((((((HUGS))))))))

10 minutes ago, bramble said:

Common sense tells me that at my age this is no longer an option.

Bramble, you have such a wealth of experience with the wee beasties, could you do something less permanent than owning, like fostering dogs or cats or puppy-walking for the organisations which offer support dogs? Then you are not committed for endless periods, but rather some months/a year or two.

Although Maja and Joker are still with you of course, and hopefully will be for a while longer.

Condolences over Maxi. It is always hard, and they leave such a gap in our lives.

24 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Bramble, you have such a wealth of experience with the wee beasties, could you do something less permanent than owning, like fostering dogs or cats or puppy-walking for the organisations which offer support dogs? Then you are not committed for endless periods, but rather some months/a year or two.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I've already thought of the options you mention and will assess the possibilities when the time comes. I'm already daycaring my daughter's dog alongside my own pets. He's 10 so I will have him in my household for a few years yet, keeping me on my toes, even after Joker and Maja have gone to join the others. I'll be almost 80 by the time he leaves.

100_4447.JPG

5 hours ago, bramble said:

Appreciated. Thanks.

No, not anymore. Common sense tells me that at my age this is no longer an option. Firstly, I don't want to worry about them should I outlive them, which would invariably be the case. And secondly,  getting old and creaky will make it difficult to keep up with caring for them, like vet visits, cleaning up after them (moulting, cat toilets etc.). Instead I will increase my donations to animal welfare.  

I empathise with, sympathise with and totally understand your position on this. Nicole and I are faced with exactly this dilemma.

And, of course , my commiserations re your sad loss.🙁

Last week, Seattle reported the most cancelled flights of anywhere in the world, and testing centers are closing due to shortages. FML! I am trying to fly to HH on Monday....with me luck. 

We are not great fans of firecrackers and stuff on New Year's Eve ( animals get frightened - rightly so ) and then you read this and think. " jeez. Feet, arms ." Jeez🙁 .. Some people have so much to regret. Mistakes, foolishness, stupidity. Suffering. 12 year old boy .. could be my/ your son.🙁

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59848648

It's one of the things that truly horrified us when we first came to Germany. Otherwise a relatively sensible and law abiding citizenry were suddenly recreating the worst days of Beirut in their streets and gardens whilst drunk on NYE.

Bonkers.

I cought a cold when I was back in the UK over Christmas. I still have it and laryngitis on top now too. Grrr. I have not been sick for 2 years thanks to masks, distance and hand washing.

Safe flight, dear Tor! See you in Hamburg👍

Behave yourself!!!❤️😂👍

Only FIVE beers ok? And brush your teeth before landing! Don't wanna give a bad impression of Americans in Germany!!😀

( British teeth are no better!)

Very, very sad. Yesterday Joker, my 14 year old dog, left to join the others on the other side of the rainbow bridge. He was suffering from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_degenerative_myelopathy a condition, which is untreatable and gets worse over time. I first noticed the scraping of his hind paws when walking March last year along with other symptoms. It's not painful for the dog - but painful for the owner watching the dog dragging its hind paws, stumbling and falling over etc. Additonally, he began suffering from deafness and dementia, confusion and nightly restlessness. The vet agreed it was time for him to go. He went peacefully. He leaves a great void and I'm crying most of the time. He was the absolute best dog I could have chosen 12 years ago to be my last dog. I was very lucky.

This photo was taken several weeks after the devastating diagnosis. Most kids mistook him for a wolf and were thrilled to be allowed to stroke him.

100_4626%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Sorry for your loss Bramble. I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

We are dreading the day our little guy goes.

He developed epilepsy last year and although medication has reduced the fits down to 2-3 a month (from up to 7 a day) it's still heartbreaking to watch.

20220108_153309.jpg

1 hour ago, bramble said:

Very, very sad. Yesterday Joker, my 14 year old dog, left to join the others on the other side of the rainbow bridge. He was suffering from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_degenerative_myelopathy a condition, which is untreatable and gets worse over time. I first noticed the scraping of his hind paws when walking March last year along with other symptoms. It's not painful for the dog - but painful for the owner watching the dog dragging its hind paws, stumbling and falling over etc. Additonally, he began suffering from deafness and dementia, confusion and nightly restlessness. The vet agreed it was time for him to go. He went peacefully. He leaves a great void and I'm crying most of the time. He was the absolute best dog I could have chosen 12 years ago to be my last dog. I was very lucky.

This photo was taken several weeks after the devastating diagnosis. Most kids mistook him for a wolf and were thrilled to be allowed to stroke him.

100_4626%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Oh my Bramble.  Thinking of you with these back to back losses.  🥲  What a good life you gave these beautiful creatures.  And BTW, my 5 yo granddaughter now visiting just saw this photo and said „Oma, ist das ein echter Wolf?“  😊