Why are you unhappy today?

12,610 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, pappnase said:

I don't know how to do that.

I am just so very sorry.  I can only add that when I had to have such a conversation, I too didn’t know how.  But I found my way, and I know that you will too.  Wishing peace and serenity, as best can be, for you and yours.  

On 19.12.2021, 10:15:36, Fietsrad said:

Most people know how old they are, and when they shall reach 70, 80 etc. I plan to fix my life so I can stop driving at 75.

You won't need to (providing you're not  70 already ); by then cars will take care of the driving part as an option if not as default.

45 minutes ago, pappnase said:

In September my wife was given a terminal cancer diagnosis, but for the last few weeks she has been at home with us all and we were looking forward to a Christmas of sorts together.

This morning she was admitted to hospital again, and now I have to tell my kids that she won't be home for Christmas this year and she may not be home again.

I have no words, I'm so, so sorry to hear that. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

In September my wife was given a terminal cancer diagnosis, but for the last few weeks she has been at home with us all and we were looking forward to a Christmas of sorts together.

This morning she was admitted to hospital again, and now I have to tell my kids that she won't be home for Christmas this year and she may not be home again.

I'm so sorry to read this, heartbreaking.  All we can do is wish you strength  and there'll be prayers said.

Awful news and I sincerely hope your wife makes it through and you and the children can carry on loving each other.❤️❤️

now I have to tell my kids that she won't be home for Christmas this year and she may not be home again.  

Oh dude.

That is the worst. Strength to you as you have these difficult conversations.

I am very sorry to hear that.

I remember when my Dad had to tell me as a child my beloved grandmother (his mother) had passed away. He did that well. I was six.

He sat down with me, put his arm around me (ahem, quick wipe), and spoke with me in simple terms a child could understand.

No rushing, no drama, just heartfelt words. I remember his honesty reached me, and I accepted the news fairly calmly.
Don't know if that helps. I hope it does.

Truly awful news. we had a similar scenario with my daughter when she was 5 and we were thinking of how to prepare her for such an occasion, fortunately it didn't happen but we found help from the UK support group for this particular type of Cancer who had child specific literature available. Is there such a group for your wife's cancer?

I know it's no consolation, pappnase , but for me it's a sort of relief that your children are adults and not children. I mean this kindly and respectfully.

40 minutes ago, john g. said:

it's a sort of relief that your children are adults and not children

Yeah I thought it was important to add that detail after so many commented. This is tragic anyway, but if they had been little I really don't know how I would have coped.

Well, pappnase, it sort of triggered me. When I was about 5, I went with my dad to visit my grandma, whom I loved cos she always gave me sweets. One day, we went there and I was in the living room and my dad came in and said " your granny has just died in the kitchen. Stay here."

I stayed and I dunno what happened then. I presume an ambulance came or whatever. I heard nothing and just cried.

I have no other recollection. I asked my Auntie Alwyn in England a few months ago what granny's name was but she couldn't remember. Alwyn is 88. And nobody else knows , either.

She was just nan to me.

I will just love nan anyway.

Children forget or don't know the details. But even now I still get tearful when I'm triggered.

Love to you and your family, babe.

On 18/12/2021, 17:04:30, kiplette said:

Is there any more news?

Can't get this out of my head. Awful situation. Best wishes to you all.

update: the daughter is home since today. She can’t walk properly because it still hurts but no need to operate and she should recover completely. My wife says that she was very lucky overall. I pray that they’ll recover fully. Thank you again for the best wishes, it helped.

12 hours ago, mtbiking said:

she should recover completely

What a massive relief.

So glad. 

We join you in your prayers for her complete recovery and for her family and yours.