Why are you unhappy today?

12,682 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, optimista said:

Sannerl, that is terrible.

They like to drive on the wrong side at speed on an iphone where I live. Unbelievable what you see. Know a guy semi lame on one side after a stroke who presumably brakes with his left foot... :rolleyes: and another who knows he has parked when he touches the guy in front.

I am unhappy because I can see him on the slippery slope of decline.

In this case, it was a delivery driver. He was absolutely devastated. Clearly his fault as he was fully on the wrong side of the road on impact.  At our supermarket, there are regular accidents involving seniors in the car park. I helped an elderly couple for a while. The husband was rapidly declining with Alzheimer’s.  It took the doctor more than a year to forbid him to drive again despite various tests, clock drawing etc months earlier. The wife said that her husband insisted on driving so she let him.  The poor man often couldn’t remember his way home and had to often be brought home by neighbours.  

Terrifying. I know someone who was rammed in a car park by a confused bloke getting to grips with the pedals on his new automatic. He was 92. 

My FIL is still driving at 97. He also has hallucinations. Nothing we can do to stop him. Himself has talked to the police and other authorities.

He will probably kill somebody or at least cause a bad accident.

44 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

My FIL is still driving at 97. He also has hallucinations. Nothing we can do to stop him. Himself has talked to the police and other authorities.

He will probably kill somebody or at least cause a bad accident.

Someone take his keys away and disable the car!!

It is so hard when we lose independence and control of our lives. Driving is the way to keep living at home, but with today's traffic. it is deadly if sight and reactions have slowed down.

We compared the annual cost of keeping a car, with cost of  taxi service when needed.  Father saw sense and gave car to one of the grandchildren!

There was a suggestion that older people should only be allowed to drive vehicles with manual shifters, but not automatic.

24 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

There was a suggestion that older people should only be allowed to drive vehicles with manual shifters, but not automatic.

I've been thinking the same...

42 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

There's quite a catch there: In Germany, if you have earned your driver's license on automatic only, you're not allowed to drive shift gear.

But that would certainly take care of the problem once and for all.

A neighbor of someone I know almost caused an accident and promptly decided to stop driving. Actually went to the police station and handed them his licence. He was 89. Unfortunately this is usually not what happens. More people try to hang on to the car keys for as long as possible.

In Iceland your license is valid until the age of 70 and after that you can renew with a doctor's note for 4, 3 and 2 years and after the age of 80, for one year at a time.

I would be in favour of driving licences stopping at 80. But then I am not 80.

My SIL once sang an opera at table about how marvellous it was that my FIL was still driving in his mid 80s even after having pranged his car. I dared to cast doubt on that appraisal and it was the beginning of the end of my relationship with my inlaws.

My dad was always a reckless drive. After a minor prang at 86, he’s finally decided himself that he shouldn’t drive again. Big relief! Aren’t older drivers tested regularly in the UK? I think my dad said he had one test in his seventies though it was very basic….just eyesight. 

Blood-splattered dead run over cat next to the cafe. Locals sipping on their coffees. Mind you, it was only a cat that hung around a rubbish container. Doesn't matter then..😒

On 22/09/2021, 20:40:55, emkay said:

Despite having my own heart broken so many times in my life, it feels so much worse that my daughter’s heart is now broken after her first love of 6 years has suddenly left her. And, she’s far from home, now alone. 

Really unhappy today….since all this happened, my daughter never knew the real reason for the breakup. Her ex just told her he had a personal issue that he could only discuss with his mum. My husband and I practically raised him for the last 6 years as his parents were neither present nor supportive. 

We even felt some sympathy towards him and offered that he could talk to us. He’s now dropped the honest bombshell on my daughter and told her in minute detail the extent of his despicable deception.  She’s now even more devastated.

@emkay I'm so sorry. It happened in the German side of my family and our nniec's by billed my BIL for €25k before I found out through some of my contacts that he had been using a stolen identity. That level of betrayal is so outrageous, so much the stuff of movies, that you could not possibly have prevented it.

On 22/09/2021, 23:59:17, Techsmex said:

Motherfucker!  I'd strangle that weak son of a bitch with my bare hands.   Well at least that's my first reflex if that was my daughter.    (don't quote me on this)

I certainly feel like this today! (No quote intended!)

On 10/25/2021, 5:16:01, Sannerl said:

No autopsy because my elder brother didn't want one.

...and I've just learned that said brother of mine has died last Sunday...

We just spoke on the phone. Take the time you need to process your feelings.

Let's have a drink or five on the weekend, and you can let your hair hang down a bit.

(And my, does that lady *have hair*. For real. Could not resist a gentle joke on this difficult day.)