Why are you unhappy today?

12,323 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, emkay said:

...my mother didn’t ask about my well being nor that of her only grandchild or my husband...

Just would like to point out that this is from your MIL... so may not even be the whole truth. 

We only get one imperfect Mam. Which is why you feel sad. I am in the same boat. 

So once wasn't enough?

I saw a dead cat in the middle of the road about an hour ago which had seemingly just died after being run over.

I was on the side of the road and a pick up came and the driver just ran over the cat again.

Callous bastard.😖

1 hour ago, john g. said:

So once wasn't enough?

I saw a dead cat in the middle of the road about an hour ago which had seemingly just died after being run over.

I was on the side of the road and a pick up came and the driver just ran over the cat again.

Callous bastard.😖

Well - maybe he would have tried to avoid the already dead cat but didn't want to run over that chap on the side of the road?

Ha! I'd like to think I'm that important but it is a wide road! And no sign of any traffic anywhere!!!

2 hours ago, john g. said:

So once wasn't enough?

Callous bastard.😖

Sadly it's Greece. In Germany you would have all this to consider: https://www.adac.de/verkehr/verkehrssicherheit/tiere/tier-ueberfahren/

If I was the driver - regardless if I was the one who first drove over the poor animal, or any other driver, who came later - and there is no traffic otherwise on the road, I would stop the car and move the animal to the side of the road and report it to the police. If there is too much traffic, I would stop at the side of the road and wait until there is a lull in the traffic and then remove the corpse from the road and report it to the police. In Germany it is a requirement that pets are chipped and despite the sorrow of losing a pet on the road, it's still a great relief to know what has happened to the missing pet (personal experience, Tasso informed me).

It was a small cat and once the bastard ran it over it was longer😖. It was sad to witness.

Multi-coloured, hence a female. ( we learnt this from a biologist here who does Tierschutz).

And, Bramble , it was exactly ( within a few metres or so ) the area where we fed Oscar for a year until we decided to " kidnap " him and take him to a cat rescue centre last week.

And where his brother was poisoned last year- so he led a lonely life.

On 15.9.2021, 13:19:44, HEM said:

Yesterday we were informed that a valued honary member of our club (2-times past chairman etc) had died on Monday, just short of his 80th brithday.

Today I learnt that he had shot himself on our airfield.  Fortunately he was found by the police & not by a member of our club...

Today at 12:00 was the Trauerfeier + Urnenbeisetzung at the Waldfriedhof Norderstedt.

I estimate about 40 people were there - at least half of whom were from the gliding club or connected to it, some from far afield.

After the 30 minute service we all trouped out to where the urn was laid to rest.

It has often been the case that a plane would appear towing a suitable banner (anyone who lives in Hamburg will have seen the orange Piper Cub in the past)

but the pilot/owner is on vacation.  So as we all stood there a light buzzing sound came & a motor glider towing a 2-seat glider appeared & made several circles

as we all prayed that the tow would not break.  A most appropriate gesture.

SInce that area is just inside the Control Zone of Hamburg airport a BIG THANK YOU to the controllers who had allowed this to take place.

Glad to see that you are ok John.  Stay wwll and safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58977693

One of the negative side effects of football fans being free to go to matches in these Covid times-the yobs are also free🙁

In this case, not in the stadium and a 63 year old man is fighting for his life.

And yet more idiots went to Belgium:

https://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/article234519284/Youth-League-Vermummte-Koeln-Ultras-stuermen-Platz-bei-U19-Spiel.html

One of our neighbours suffered an awful bike accident outside our house. A courier delivery van cut a corner and hit the cyclist full on, crushing his leg and bike. His head injury was severe as he wasn’t wearing a helmet.  We called the police and ambulance. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to advise against moving the injured neighbour until the ambulance arrived, other neighbours insisted on moving him. There was no immediate danger had he stayed in place whilst first aid was administered. Same thing a while ago when another neighbour fell off a ladder. Is moving a casualty still not advisable in such circumstances?  Maybe our first aid knowledge is outdated? My husband said he’ll now heed my nagging about cutting the corners on our street and he’ll always wear a bike helmet when cycling! 

38 minutes ago, emkay said:

My husband said he’ll now heed my nagging about cutting the corners

I wish my wife would.

35 minutes ago, HEM said:

I wish my wife would.

Well, all I can say is that the incident could have been much worse. Our neighbour is super fit and hopefully won’t have any long lasting injuries. Had it been a child or a senior person, I’m not sure they would have survived.  Aren’t bike helmets mandatory? We hardly see any cyclists wearing helmets. I shudder when I think that our nearly 90 year old neighbour still cycles to the shops despite only having 20% vision. We regularly offer to shop for her though she always refuses. 

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Well, all I can say is that the incident could have been much worse. Our neighbour is super fit and hopefully won’t have any long lasting injuries. Had it been a child or a senior person, I’m not sure they would have survived.  Aren’t bike helmets mandatory? We hardly see any cyclists wearing helmets. I shudder when I think that our nearly 90 year old neighbour still cycles to the shops despite only having 20% vision. We regularly offer to shop for her though she always refuses. 

I don't think they are mandatory, but I think a lights and a bell is.. I usually wear one and have lights and a bell on my bike so I've never checked.

I have had a lot of near misses with cars pulling out of junctions, overtaking too close, etc.   I have had pedestrians suddenly walk out in front of me.  I have never ever had time to ring the bell.  Too busy trying to brake, avoid,  or fall off in a less than castrophic fashion.   However, I do often get quite vocal while doing these things.  "Aaaaggghh".  

(sigh) I still think my father's fatal accident nearly 27 years ago was a near miss and run...neighbors found him dead next to his bicycle, he was reanimated, in a coma then for 8 days (brain-dead) and died...

No helmet, but he didn't hit his head. Heart-failure from the shock presumably.

Not a busy street.

No autopsy because my elder brother didn't want one.

Sannerl, that is terrible.

They like to drive on the wrong side at speed on an iphone where I live. Unbelievable what you see. Know a guy semi lame on one side after a stroke who presumably brakes with his left foot... :rolleyes: and another who knows he has parked when he touches the guy in front.

I am unhappy because I can see him on the slippery slope of decline.