Why are you unhappy today?

12,240 posts in this topic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58651071

I am delighted that more and more women are playing cricket at all levels of the game, including national sides. All for it!

But they don't play in the same teams as men. They play against other women.

So why gender neutralise the vocab? We now have batters instead of batsmen. Why not call women batswomen?

And eg  " third man " to be replaced by ??

Why not " third woman ?"

I know I am getting on but it sounds silly to me!

I am unhappy because...

The Local is removing threads from TT because a vocal minority on its sister site, English Forum Switzerland, got them to close down the forum for a week, remove 3 Mods that were deemed "right wing" and convince ownership that the EF had been hijacked by the Alt-Right. 

Additionally, several members of this vocal minority started numerous threads on Reddit, where they spread their vitriolic messages and likely frightened The Local into submission. We suspect it has been a long time campaign to cause FUD (fear/uncertainty/doubt) amongst The Local mgmt. 

Unfortunately, The Local bought this story entirely, and we will see tomorrow (when EF reopens) how many threads they will "sanitize" and how many members will be banned for "wrong think." As threads are being removed here on TT, one can only conclude that they are planning on doing the same thing here and the next step might be to close both sites completely. They shuttered the Swedish Forum at the beginning of the year.

Nobody likes censorship, but so-called "Big Tech” has led the way removing popular voices that they don’t agree with.

Now, smaller players like The Local/English Forum/Toytown are going down the same path.

There are several of us that have come over here from EF (a few have even been here since the early days) to give you fair warning.

3 minutes ago, Vef said:

I am unhappy because...

The Local is removing threads from TT because a vocal minority on its sister site, English Forum Switzerland, got them to close down the forum for a week, remove 3 Mods that were deemed "right wing" and convince ownership that the EF had been hijacked by the Alt-Right. 

Additionally, several members of this vocal minority started numerous threads on Reddit, where they spread their vitriolic messages and likely frightened The Local into submission. We suspect it has been a long time campaign to cause FUD (fear/uncertainty/doubt) amongst The Local mgmt. 

Unfortunately, The Local bought this story entirely, and we will see tomorrow (when EF reopens) how many threads they will "sanitize" and how many members will be banned for "wrong think." As threads are being removed here on TT, one can only conclude that they are planning on doing the same thing here and the next step might be to close both sites completely. They shuttered the Swedish Forum at the beginning of the year.

Nobody likes censorship, but so-called "Big Tech” has led the way removing popular voices that they don’t agree with.

Now, smaller players like The Local/English Forum/Toytown are going down the same path.

There are several of us that have come over here from EF (a few have even been here since the early days) to give you fair warning.

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I think they were keeping us all up to date, even if we didn't take part in the discussion.

I can't understand why they've been removed.

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I think they were keeping us all up to date, even if we didn't take part in the discussion.

I can't understand why they've been removed.

Maybe this answer needs its own thread, no?

2 hours ago, Sannerl said:

Because so many important topics have been removed.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

I'm unhappy the Brexit thread is gone. I found it very informative - kept me up to date with the situation in post Brexit Britain.

I'm also unhappy the Corona threads are gone. 

I hope The Local stops with these 2 threads and doesn't close TT like they did it to www.englishforum.ch and removing people who contributed in managing the forum for years

I agree . We had some good discussion on the old forum and also knew how to agree to disagree . But there were a small number of discontents who hated it when they couldn’t have things there way and when others refused to agree with them . It seems that rather than fight it out fairly they kicked up a lot of dirt on Reddit and told a lot of lies and took things out of context and The Local, who otherwise never seem to care about anything that was written and even less follow the discussions , decided to get heavy handed and take sides with those who had kicked up the mud .

Toytown beware . You could be next 

I think we had our mod clean out years ago.

1 hour ago, Vef said:

Can you post a link to the reddit thread(s) where they posted?

3 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I think we had our mod clean out years ago.

Can you post a link to the reddit thread(s) where they posted?

They literally spammed Reddit with multiple threads and few follow up threads. It was clear they had an agenda. A lot of the threads got deleted or locked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Switzerland/comments/plf3mv/englishforumch_has_become_a_hotspot_for_covid/

https://www.reddit.com/r/askswitzerland/comments/plf3q3/englishforumch_has_become_a_hotspot_for_covid/

https://www.reddit.com/r/askswitzerland/comments/ppd7ab/the_local_any_update_on_the_englishforum_covid/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Switzerland/comments/ppfdps/reddit_crushes_englishforum/

5 minutes ago, emkay said:

Despite having my own heart broken so many times in my life, it feels so much worse that my daughter’s heart is now broken after her first love of 6 years has suddenly left her. And, she’s far from home, now alone. 

It is never easy.  I hope she can find something soon that she can look forward to.  

34 minutes ago, emkay said:

Despite having my own heart broken so many times in my life, it feels so much worse that my daughter’s heart is now broken after her first love of 6 years has suddenly left her. And, she’s far from home, now alone. 

Hugs, dear emkay. We've all been there and it hurts. Wishing you and your daughter strength.

12 minutes ago, john g. said:

Hugs, dear emkay. We've all been there and it hurts. Wishing you and your daughter strength.

Thank you John.

2 hours ago, emkay said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. If I remember rightly, you mentioned that only a few months ago they had moved into their first flat together. It's a shame she's so far from home in this situation and you can't hug her. 

3 hours ago, emkay said:

Motherfucker!  I'd strangle that weak son of a bitch with my bare hands.   Well at least that's my first reflex if that was my daughter.    (don't quote me on this)

Back to your daughters dilemma..  I hope you are in contact with her.

10 hours ago, Techsmex said:

Motherfucker!  I'd strangle that weak son of a bitch with my bare hands.

Beg to differ. TT wisdom (FF?) a few months ago... all relationships have expiry dates. No point flogging dead horses. It takes courage to end a relationship. It can be easier to let things drag on and waste decades of people's lives, but far less honorable. We only live once.

Looking back it was probably for the best that my heart was broken earlier rather than later. But a lot of water has to flow under the bridge before you come to that conclusion and it's hard at the time. It is also better to rip that plaster off fast, rather than the slow peel off.

She'll get over it eventually.

I feel your pain emkay.