Why are you unhappy today?

12,272 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bramble said:

..I'm a pescatarian, which means I don't eat meat other than fish..

I find fish very 'meaty' and tasty.     How do you suppose they get processed into our food queue worldwide?

Do fish have feelings?  Do they suffer pain when caught on a hook or in a net?  

Something to ponder eh?

something fishy about pescatarians

Saw this video a little while back and know exactly why I do not eat fish:

As for being unhappy, well, I have been off work the past two weeks with the ´flu and laryngitis. ´flu-wise I am fine now, but my voice is not back to normal - can just about whisper, and I have to go back to work tomorrow !

14 hours ago, john g. said:

A " posh " accent doesn't make a person " better "- nor is a " non- posh " accent a sign that that person is better.

Is that what he was saying? I'm with him actually.

It is just damned irritating (to some of us) to hear poor pronunciation from people whose job is communication. I do not have an RP accent myself having come from The North. However, I did have to modify my speech somewhat upon leaving my home town simply because many people, even Northerners, did not understand me!!  Banning the glottal stop (which has made a come-back - ridiculously and annoyingly - amongst upperclass twits) and yes, pronouncing "g" at the end of words and "h" at the start of them went a long way, innit? If someone is being paid to communicate, I don't think it is asking too much to stick to a standard, depending on the context - local radio versus international sports scene versus royal event? Some accents are more popular than others - intelligible :D Scotts for example - and I like to hear them. But there is a time and a place. I stopped listening to one of my favourite radio programmes when the presenter changed, simply because the accent grated so much. Yes, really. Just my Northern-working-class-snobby opinion.

What do you make of Mr. Mannering's Northern accent? Definitely Northern, but not substandard.

There seems to be a vogue for being proud of dropping the bar low. Soon there will be people claiming they are proud to have bad teeth and greasy hair... hmm.

Edit: I am unhappy because I simply do not know what to do with my teenager's latest hurtful and disturbing bombshell. Take it seriously or not? Make a fuss or not?  Watch and wait? There is no manual and I am at a loss.

Remember this bloke, optimista! Some interesting communication!😂

Before my time but point made - to no-one beyond the outskirts of Strabane !

22 minutes ago, optimista said:

Edit: I am unhappy because I simply do not know what to do with my teenager's latest hurtful and disturbing bombshell. Take it seriously or not? Make a fuss or not?  Watch and wait? There is no manual and I am at a loss.

- take it seriously, "be there", and chill. It´s mostly not as bad as it initially seems!

7 hours ago, optimista said:

I do not have an RP accent myself having come from The North. However, I did have to modify my speech somewhat upon leaving my home town simply because many people, even Northerners, did not understand me!! 

Years ago I was in the UK and met up with a couple of people I knew from the internet.  There was this one guy who I could not understand a word of what he said.  I'd ask him to repeat himself, same thing.  His friends seemed to understand him though.

Emkay- keep your family close, and try not to be too hurt with your mother.  Whatever the issues, she is the one losing out.

Stay strong.

52 minutes ago, emkay said:

My mother and I have been estranged for a few years now. We always had an unpleasant relationship that ended with her dramatic disclosure of alleged terrible incidents in our past.
[...]
I feel sad though very grateful for my wonderful daughter, husband, soon to be son in law and my friends.  

I feel for you, @emkay . One of my parents died much too young, and the surviving "close" family relatives abused and screwed me over in many ways. They still try to this day, so I cut them out of my life completely, and do not even dignify them by using their names if they are mentioned.

As Mr Metall (who knows these people) likes to quote: "Living a good life is your best revenge."
He and some more distant relatives make me happy. :)

You are doing the right thing by focusing on the Good People. Fuck the rest!!

1 hour ago, Metall said:

I feel for you, @emkay . One of my parents died much too young, and the surviving "close" family relatives abused and screwed me over in many ways. They still try to this day, so I cut them out of my life completely, and do not even dignify them by using their names if they are mentioned.

As Mr Metall (who knows these people) likes to quote: "Living a good life is your best revenge."
He and some more distant relatives make me happy. :)

You are doing the right thing by focusing on the Good People. Fuck the rest!!

Mr Metall's quote- perfect!!!😂😂👍👍❤️❤️

17 minutes ago, Metall said:

@emkay: And Happy Birthday from me!

Thanks so much :)

oh, Happy Birthday, emkay!❤️❤️👍👍
I wish I were 21 like you...

5 hours ago, emkay said:

I feel sad though very grateful for my wonderful daughter, husband, soon to be son in law and my friends.  

I'm with Metall on this.

Happy Birthday!

5 hours ago, emkay said:

My mother and I have been estranged for a few years now. We always had an unpleasant relationship that ended with her dramatic disclosure of alleged terrible incidents in our past. The only contact we had during estrangement was me always sending her a Christmas card and birthday card.  She sometimes did the same.  Always hurts me a little when she doesn’t bother….used to be just the smallest reminder that she still thinks of me at least a bit.  No card this year. I feel sad though very grateful for my wonderful daughter, husband, soon to be son in law and my friends.  

I understand to some degree.  One of my sisters was raised by my grandma (for reasons too long and complicated to disclose here).  She never had a good rapport with our natural mother, always questioned why she was 'given away'. Long story short, she developed mental issues later in life and has never been able to overcome that no matter how much we tried to fold her back in to the family.  Always resentful. and estranged from our mother.

Blood is thicker than water, they say... it doesn't always work out like that. Make the most of enjoyable relationships with those family members you get along with, friends you get along with and also fleeting encounters with total strangers! They may develop into something meaningful or not - and if not - fleeting can be memorable...if you remember such encounters, enjoy!  They are YOUR memories! And YOUR right to remember.

And someone will always love you unconditionally if you want:

Sorry if you think I'm preaching. I'm not a preacher. I am someone who has betrayed and equally has been betrayed. The human condition.. we are all vulnerable.