Why are you unhappy today?

12,272 posts in this topic

I have a friend who's worked saving dogs for several years. Recently she posted that her therapist told her she was getting so far absorbed in that good work, it was affecting her mental stability. She was advised to still continue to do good, but without such intense involvement .  Her solution was to get involved in environmental clean-up - no emotions there!.

@Namu, it's OK to step away from what you're doing. Take that step when you need to, even if it's just an occasional day off. 

sorry to hear that Alex

My mother seems to get heart and breathing problems, not sure it bad enough to take the pain and risk of going to see her, as she says they are just testing at the moment. And its very difficult to organize a trip at the moment

23 hours ago, katheliz said:

I have a friend who's worked saving dogs for several years. Recently she posted that her therapist told her she was getting so far absorbed in that good work, it was affecting her mental stability. She was advised to still continue to do good, but without such intense involvement .  Her solution was to get involved in environmental clean-up - no emotions there!.

@Namu, it's OK to step away from what you're doing. Take that step when you need to, even if it's just an occasional day off. 

An important point you make Katheliz. 

DVI Dorfverschoenerungsverein Iversheim

Raifeisenbank Voreifel eG

IBAN: DE35 3706 9627 2303 3620 13

Kennwort: "Flutopferhilfe Iversheim"

Hopefully my delay in providing this info is understandable. A few of you have kindly asked whether it is possible to help. Fortunately, folk here have been quick to donate food, clothes etc. So much so, that my wife and her friends have been busily sorting out parcels and bundles of donations for weeks. Without meaning to sound ungrateful, that means that the best way to help at the moment is financial, so that the helpers can buy what is needed when it is needed. 

My neighbouring village is called Iversheim, and they are using their "Dorfverschoenerungsverein" account for donations. 

Thanks for any donations.

Without wishing to make a sad story even worse, I understand that there are villages in Ahrtal where they are still fishing bodies out of garages. Perhaps @Namu you also have similar village accounts for donations?

DVI Dorfverschoenerungsverein Iversheim

Raifeisenbank Voreifel eG

IBAN: DE35 3706 9627 2303 3620 13

Kennwort: "Flutopferhilfe Iversheim"

On 23/07/2021, 20:34:17, RedMidge said:

My faith in the world is always restored

I'm in a fortunate position that I have the time and resources to help, but to be honest, anyone who (like me) witnessed the scale of the damage would feel compelled to do something.

What has really given me faith in the world, or at least the future here in Germany has been "the youth" (a term I have mostly and thoughtlessly used in a derogatory manner over the past few years). I have been repeatedly amazed over the last week how many teenagers have been helping out. Each day I've gone down there, our babysitter has asked to jump in the van, stuck on a pair of wellies, grabbed a shovel and really got stuck in. Other teenagers living in houses I've cleared out have then picked up spare shovels and joined in as we've gone from building to building: even though so many of them have been left with nothing themselves. Upon seeing their schools damaged, dozens and dozens (perhaps even hundreds) of these teenagers have gone into town to try to save the buildings. This isn't the the self-absorbed, all-too-easily-offended generation portrayed in the media, but good people, seeing a need and acting out of community spirit.

Sure, whenever they've come here there has been a run on electrical sockets and mobile phone chargers (I now know "an influencer"...I think - she has almost a million followers, which sounds impressive to me), but they've used the Insta-Tok et al that I've always derided, for good, to arrange help and support. 

10 minutes ago, dstanners said:

What has really given me faith in the world, or at least the future here in Germany has been "the youth" (a term I have mostly and thoughtlessly used in a derogatory manner over the past few years). I have been repeatedly amazed over the last week how many teenagers have been helping out.

I'd like to chime in here, I've been in a number of bad weather situations (stuck on the Autobahn, washed out at medieval fairs), and the so-called millenials have been nothing but great in helping others out.
And they loved my solar charging panels with USB ports, so everybody was happy. :)

The whole "the young are crap", "lazy" etc, along with the "the old are..." are old stereotypes and are a mainstay of special media pages wanting to get an argument going to increase their post count.

How lazy or unhelpful a person is has little to do with their age and a lot to do with the person themselves (including their circumstances at the time). 

When I worked in a call center for one of the UK banks I had an 18 year old who couldn't deal with telephone banking, I had to get him through security and then have him give me permission for his mother to check his accounts etc and an 81 year old who used telephone banking happily and chatted about how she was excited that at some point she'd be able to do stuff online.

Old people can suffer from "the world has changed and I don't like it", "I don't understand it", "the old ways were better" and "things have moved on but I don't understand why I can't still say things about these groups like I did years ago".

This is normal for some and you have to decide if it's worth explaining to them why they can't say certain things (and use certain words) or to just say "old people" under your breath and move on with your life.

Jeez... my ex-wife is from Badajoz in Spain and my daughter is visiting her and her old grandfather there.

I was googling Badajoz the other day. I spent a lot of time there before but never knew about the town's massacre by Franco's forces there in one particular week in 1936. I found a film about it the other day and linked my daughter in on it.

She had never heard of the " masacre de Badajoz " in which people were shot in their thousands  and their bodies dumped outside the cathedral in a pile, still known as the " montao."

My daughter has asked her grandfather if he knows about it. Sadly yes.. his brother was one of those dumped on the montao. He was 21😒😒

https://www.google.de/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&q=Battle+of+Badajoz+(1936)+videos&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF_a7b7oDyAhVJhv0HHd3nAm8QyNoBKAF6BAgCEAk&biw=414&bih=833&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLUz9U3SDYzLDd7xGjCLfDyxz1hKe1Ja05eY1Tl4grOyC93zSvJLKkUEudig7J4pbi5ELp4djGxhWWmpOYXL2KVd0osKclJVchPU3BKTEnMyq9S0DC0NDbTVCgDqwAAVOx7J28AAAA&ictx=1

4 hours ago, dstanners said:

Hopefully my delay in providing this info is understandable.

Oh crikey, yes.

I am surprised you can string a sentence together at all after your days of digging etc. 

Hoping you all stay safe.

Thank you for the info. no doubt there will be a few people who will happily give a few bob to make things a tiny bit easier.

On 24/07/2021, 08:35:35, katheliz said:

Hm, no emotions in environmental clean-up? If you are idealistic and feel it is important and you want to help, is that not showing and experiencing emotions?

Agree about stepping back and taking time for your own needs as well, though.

The French Covid pass is only half-baked and does not cater for exotics like myself who are not in their shitty system. I have had a vaccination and I have (kind of) recovered from covid. But I cannot access their shite site - sorry cannot resist these rhymes - to load the result onto their crap app because I do not have a social security number. We are private. Yeah. So I will have to walk about with two bits of paper and spend time explaining and arguing with likely disinterested, incredulous, uncomprehending people when trying to access places banned to people without the pass. I feel like we are living in some sort of totalitarian regime. My freedom of movement is going to be severely limited.

@ Alex. Sorry for your loss. It puts the above whinge into perspective.

Exactly my thoughts, bramble!

I think some might keep an eye on him while he's inside..

My BIL used to do cruel stuff to small animals as a kid. Explains a lot.

I dare not and will not read the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2021/jul/31/bbc-alex-scott-proud-working-class-accent-digby-jones-elocution

Accent snobbery! Though it works both ways. A " posh " accent doesn't make a person " better "- nor is a " non- posh " accent a sign that that person is better.

But in this case - a huge fail to this dipstick Lord. 

Of course, there are accents people find more pleasant or charming or sexy.. but that is a different issue..😀

14 hours ago, optimista said:

My BIL used to do cruel stuff to small animals as a kid. Explains a lot.

I dare not and will not read the link.

Understand. Don't need to read the link. Hauptsache - he is no longer a threat outside. And he can " enjoy " reflecting on his karma. What a sad life individual. 

On 7/30/2021, 5:25:04, bramble said:

It starts with animal killings. A serial human killer in the making. I hope they keep an eye on him when he gets out. 

Terrible story buuuuuuuuuut..... there are many people who are paid a salary to kill innocent cows and sheep so that the majority of people can enjoy a hamburger and a lamb tikka.  What's the difference ? Have you actually watched the cctv from abattoirs ?  The next time you eat meat... just take a moment to think about the last moments of that meal you're about to put in your mouth. 

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Terrible story buuuuuuuuuut.... there are many people who are paid a salary to kill innocent cows and sheep so that the majority of people can enjoy a hamburger and a lamb tikka.  What's the difference ? Have you actually watched the cctv from abattoirs ?  The next time you eat meat... just take a moment to think about the last moments of that meal you're about to put in your mouth. 

It's true, there are sadists amongst those people too, which makes me very unhappy. I'm a pescatarian, which means I don't eat meat other than fish and not every day. I feel sorry for the fish too, especially because of all that plastic floating around in their environment.