Why are you unhappy today?

12,240 posts in this topic

So sorry Alex, I'll play the song this afternoon!

Sorry for your loss Alex. I will play the song in his honor 

6 hours ago, AlexTr said:

My dad passed yesterday evening...

So sorry for your loss...

6 hours ago, AlexTr said:

For the world in which he socialized as a young man, Dad was a bookish fellow. Dad was an ME and EE who had spent his time in motors and drives, automation and controls, and, finally, large scale clean room engineering. Every Friday, he told me, he played this song loudly in the office for his staff and colleagues. Please play this song today and celebrate the day every day.

Playing your Dad's song right now!  Great taste in music!

Celebrate life, everybody. It's very fragile.

And please accept my condolences, Alex.

It's funny that our favorite radio station in Slovenia, Radio SI, plays James Brown often. Also that my my sister used to own a house about 3 doors down from him in Augusta, Georgia. I could tell you some stories about James Brown. When I was young, my sister could exactly sing his album, Live at the Apollo including the announcer. 

Your dad had great taste!

@Namu and @dstanners  I come from New Orleans and my father was in a care home during Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent flooding.  The circumstances were terrifying.  Thankfully he survived.  Watching these horrific scenes in 🇩🇪 has been extremely disturbing for me.  My heart goes out to you and all of those affected.  We also have stories of kindness and generosity that still bring me to tears.  Blessings to each of you.

@dstanners  My faith in the world is always restored by people like you.  I hope i have neighbours like you if i am ever in this situation.  Keep the Barbie going!

@dstanners

We have sent stuff via a collection, but it is hard to know if that is helpful or just a massive hassle at your end.

Can we help you personally by überweisening donations so that you can BBQ/get petrol/pay your inflated bills? I was going to pm and ask, but thought that maybe others would feel the same.

If not, do you have a recommendation of a local organisation we can support? 

I think you are a complete hero, and thank you for all you are doing. 

Count me in, kiplette, if dstanners needs support. Am far away but can help with an Überweisung.

No help required but a big fire going on around here. Jeez.

40 kilometer an hour North winds. Was happily taking photos of wild sea waves along the coast this evening and the world was in Ordnung hier  but then got this news.

14 hours ago, AlexTr said:

My dad passed yesterday evening after a year long fight against GBM. I was there for a month last year, but didn't feel safe traveling this year because of the prevalence of the delta variant where he was and since I am not completely vaccinated. That month was good. He was still enough there to chat and tell stories and I was able to help him and Mom while they both recovered from surgeries and Dad went through radiation. Radiation and the GBM made him a little more open than usual. We talked about the Cleveland gangster scene in the 50s and 60s, about people he watched crime and kill and die, and about music.

For the world in which he socialized as a young man, Dad was a bookish fellow. Dad was an ME and EE who had spent his time in motors and drives, automation and controls, and, finally, large scale clean room engineering. Every Friday, he told me, he played this song loudly in the office for his staff and colleagues. Please play this song today and celebrate the day every day.

I know you hoped you could change your Dad's view of the world politically. I know you tried hard. But it doesn't always work that way. I hope and believe your Dad loved you and you him. And that is what really matters. RIP, your Dad , and love is more important than anything else.

Stay strong.

@dstanners

I hear you. It's hard to see the pain in the people affected. The destruction is very difficult to comprehend. But still despite all this helping is the right thing to do. It takes a lot of courage to open up yourself to the suffering, confusion and fear. I know many that simply look away.

I am sure you will all together rebuild Bad Münstereifel to an even better place. It's such a beautiful area where you are.

@BethAnnBitt I can't even imagine the destruction in New Orleans. I am glad your dad was ok. It is very tough to have to wait and see who survives!!