Why are you unhappy today?

12,323 posts in this topic

That’s a good strategy, I’ll keep it in mind for the next time. It saves us from some heartbreak.

Back when my parents were renting out, they'd always say they'd promised the apartment to someone else who was going to let them know if they would be able to take it.  That way, you've prepared everybody for bad news.

I have to cancel a very much needed trip this weekend because my cat is sick. I’m at the point of burnout and desperately in need of a break, but I adopted a sick cat a few months ago and they just found a surprise heart issue that’s going to be expensive. Sigh.

As all the prices have now shot up i won’t be able to rebook either.

On 29.6.2021, 08:59:51, evildudette said:

I have to cancel a very much needed trip this weekend because my cat is sick. I’m at the point of burnout and desperately in need of a break, but I adopted a sick cat a few months ago and they just found a surprise heart issue that’s going to be expensive. Sigh.

As all the prices have now shot up i won’t be able to rebook either.

So sorry to hear that. We always take older cats from the Katzenhilfe and when the end draws nigh it can be very painful and expensive but it is worth every penny.

Take care of yourself and relax at home. The world needs more people like you who are prepared to give a loving home to a sick animal.

Anticipating my visit tomorrow to pick up my cert of French nationality. They will be giving it to me in exchange for my Brexit residence permit. From their point of view, why would I need a residence permit if I have French nationality? However, I am sure it is not in the deal that we have to surrender the only document that proves we have Brexit status in order to acquire French nationality. Presumably they will cancel myself in their computer list of Brexit Brits. I do not think for one minute that argument will swing the jobsworth with no authority to let me keep my residence permit. He or she will simply want to stupidly swap a piece of paper one for the other. And then I can kiss goodbye to annual pension increases for as long as I am outside the UK without Brexit status (if I live that long).

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Anticipating my visit tomorrow to pick up my cert of French nationality. They will be giving it to me in exchange for my Brexit residence permit. From their point of view, why would I need a residence permit if I have French nationality? However, I am sure it is not in the deal that we have to surrender the only document that proves we have Brexit status in order to acquire French nationality. Presumably they will cancel myself in their computer list of Brexit Brits. I do not think for one minute that argument will swing the jobsworth with no authority to let me keep my residence permit. He or she will simply want to stupidly swap a piece of paper one for the other. And then I can kiss goodbye to annual pension increases for as long as I am outside the UK without Brexit status (if I live that long).

:rolleyes:

It's probably equivalent to the old EWG Aufenthaltserlaubnis (unbefristet) I had to hand over when I aquired dual German/British citizenship before Brexit. I wasn't sorry to let it go. 

Datei:Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Angehörige eines Mitgliedsstaates der EWG - Bundesrepublik Deutschland 1980 - Seite 1.jpg

Good thing books aren't only available in schools. I read TKAM on my own when I was a teenager.

And no, I don't like this kind of censorship. 

28 minutes ago, hooperski said:

No comment needed ...

Plenty of comments needed. Here is mine: trendy so-called anti-racists are authoritarian fascist scum. They are  a serious threat to society. Culture - cancelling arseholes. 

Met a fellow musician yesterday in his 80s who I had not seen for a couple of years. Two years ago he was as sharp as a razor blade and as good as any fit 60 year old. A pappy with peps. He had covid in the first wave. Still with us. Still puffing into his pipe. But oh boy, a mere shadow of his former self. Distressing to see. :rolleyes:

I’m watching the German news about the floods and landslides: more than 100 deaths already. Terrible news. Where does it end? I hope the Netherlands will be able to handle all the water coming their way via the Rhine, Maas and Waal. It has to flow away to the North Sea.

I heard on the news this morning that smaller rivers are the problem, bigger rivers like the Rhein and such can handle the amount of water flowing into them.  I saw it in Frankfurt last week, I have never seen so much rain come down in such a short space of time, the underground canals couldn't cope, but once it got the the Main, it was fine. Within a couple of hours, there was no sign of water.

So sorry for all those people, I've had family members checking in on me today.