Why are you unhappy today?

12,272 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, LeonG said:

With Tom I tried everything to get him to eat, chicken, fish, whipped cream, you name it but it would just work for a couple of days and then not.  With Viktor, he was eating but it wasn't really helping.

I am so sorry to hear that   Leon.  It is terrible when a cat dies, the feeding bowl and toys remind you of happy times together that will never be repeated. Even though cats don‘t make a lot of noise you are always aware of their presence

Our last cat had kidney troubLe and the vet said he should only be given special cat food. We donated all the normal cat food to the Tierheim and bought the special  food but the cat refused to eat it.

5 cockroaches have been spotted in the office since I got back from my mate's house to watch the footie.

I admit I administered a fatal beating to three  of them, one other literally kicked out when I opened the door and, fortunately, I had sandals on.

One is playing cat and mouse with me - so to speak. David and Goliath. I am David. They have big cockroaches here😭😩😒

Edit:

Minutes later - the fool didn't envisage being hit by a broom. I had no choice. The fly swatter is broken.

I didn't kill him or her ( don't know the gender and no sexist jokes, please😭😂) but managed to put it onto the dust pan, opened the patio door and flung it over the plants into an unwelcoming street with no name.

The street might finally get a name if I do the paperwork with the Buergermeisterin. 

Odos Cucaracha or something!

9 hours ago, john g. said:

I admit I administered a fatal beating to three  of them...

Now that's what I call progress. Keep up the good work.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57570042

Hoping this is maybe the right place. The Greek pilot who murdered his wife in front of their baby and hanged their dog as well - in court.

Unhappy because he is vile and for what he did. Premedidated. 

On charges of murder and animal abuse and lying to all and sundry.

This is HUGE here.

A few weeks ago I had reported an incident of animal cruelty to the Ordnungsamt, which they and the police acted upon about a week later. They confiscated the dog. I had reported about it in the happy thread. Meanwhile the whole neighbourhood knows about it and is happy that the dog is no longer in his possession. 

But I'm extremely unhappy about the following:

Every morning when I take my dog for his first peepee round (ca. 7 am) I usually meet up with a good neighbour with her two mini dogs and we talk about this and that. She knows the whole story and has been extremely critical of the bloke in question. Yet she still nods a greeting to him when she sees him as she told me this morning. I asked her why on earth do you still greet a known animal abuser? Her answer: I don't want to provoke him. She kept on justifying herself (she hadn't seen the incident herself, bla, bla, bla). I couldn't get a word in so I stopped trying to say anything to avoid an escalation. But it still niggles me. The bloke wasn't otherwise penalised, despite Tierschutzgesetz § 17 https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/tierschg/__17.html (jail up to 3 years or hefty fine).

I do not greet him at all since the incident, the same way I wouldn't greet a known child abuser (I don't have to have been witness to the abuse). I will have to explain to her tomorrow morning (if I see her) that in my view the best way to really penalise this creature is to treat him with contempt. Greeting him only serves his own self-esteem. 

1 hour ago, bramble said:

I do not greet him at all since the incident, the same way I wouldn't greet a known child abuser (I don't have to have been witness to the abuse). I will have to explain to her tomorrow morning (if I see her) that in my view the best way to really penalise this creature is to treat him with contempt. Greeting him only serves his own self-esteem. 

Although I applaud what you did, I don't think you can expect other people who didn't witness what happened, to feel or react the same way as you.  

@fraufruit and @Tap Thanks for your comments, which I understand.  Of course she is entitled to greet whomever she wants. Still, she was in the past going on and on about why on earth don't the people who see him doing such things to his dog and talk about it to all and sundry report him to the authorities. Greeting him now despite her having helped me find out his name so I could report him seems a double standard to me. This is why i'm so disappointed. The excuse, I don't want to provoke him seems a weak excuse to me. I suppose I'll have to swallow it. 

32 minutes ago, bramble said:

@fraufruit and @Tap Thanks for your comments, which I understand.  Of course she is entitled to greet whomever she wants. Still, she was in the past going on and on about why on earth don't the people who see him doing such things to his dog and talk about it to all and sundry report him to the authorities. Greeting him now despite her having helped me find out his name so I could report him seems a double standard to me. This is why i'm so disappointed. The excuse, I don't want to provoke him seems a weak excuse to me. I suppose I'll have to swallow it. 

@bramble, what you did was absolutely right and I understand your disappointment. Maybe your neighbour can't stop herself from greeting him for whatever reason, it could be upbringing, or fear of what he might do, who knows?  You clearly have good contact with this neighbour, so you need to ask yourself if it's worth damaging that relationship because of this man. He has already done enough damage to himself and his reputation, don't let him have any affect on you too.

20 minutes ago, Tap said:

@bramble, what you did was absolutely right and I understand your disappointment. Maybe your neighbour can't stop herself from greeting him for whatever reason, it could be upbringing, or fear of what he might do, who knows?  You clearly have good contact with this neighbour, so you need to ask yourself if it's worth damaging that relationship because of this man. He has already done enough damage to himself and his reputation, don't let him have any affect on you too.

Yes, after quieting down a bit, I suppose I'll let it go. I really appreciate this woman otherwise, but unhappily my opinion of her is now marred somewhat. 

13 minutes ago, bramble said:

Yes, after quieting down a bit, I suppose I'll let it go. I really appreciate this woman otherwise, but unhappily my opinion of her is now marred somewhat. 

Hopefully, she'll say or do something that will renew your faith in her, but whatever, your feelings just now will fade and I think you'll be glad you didn't react.  With her help, the man who caused all of this has been dealt with and that must make you feel good.

2 hours ago, bramble said:

Greeting him now despite her having helped me find out his name so I could report him seems a double standard to me.

Yes it is. I hear "Wir wollen keinen Ärger." The mask most teuton hiding her feelings.

I am unhappy because they are planning to build a huge waste treatment plant - on my parents' doorstep. They are calling it a green energy park and it will have a visitors centre - suggesting it is gonna smell like roses - and bombarding the locals with too voluminous, too complex glossy brochures that they will have no time or inclination to read in the name of public consultation. They predict that after implementation of mitigation measures the impact on the locals will be insignificant. Hmm. And if their predictions turn out to be wrong and it stinks to high heaven and the noise stops them sitting in their gardens, then what?

2 hours ago, bramble said:

You did absolutely the right thing reporting the animal abuse. Kudos to you❤️

Your friend is possibly just afraid of him. Is he often not drunk etc? Verbally aggressive?

Definitely avoid that dodgy character. " Disengage " ( as Metall says😂).. or the one I like in German.." nicht in Resonanz gehen".

Psycho/Sociopaths take any " acceptance " of them as a sign of weakness. Our own experience with a certain neighbour. 

46 minutes ago, john g. said:

You did absolutely the right thing reporting the animal abuse. Kudos to you❤️

Your friend is possibly just afraid of him. Is he often not drunk etc? Verbally aggressive?

Definitely avoid that dodgy character. " Disengage " ( as Metall says😂).. or the one I like in German.." nicht in Resonanz gehen".

Psycho/Sociopaths take any " acceptance " of them as a sign of weakness. Our own experience with a certain neighbour. 

He's not verbally aggressive, but often under the influence of alcohol/drugs. In my opinion a person who mistreats animals is also not to be trusted with children. He has two small children and is only allowed to see them in the presence of their mother and the Jugendamt. He doesn't know that I reported him, but he might suspect I did because I was near when it happened. I meet him often in the park or in the street and walk straight past him now without greeting him like I used to. That's not provocation but a silent statement of contempt. 

@bramble: Don't tell your neighbors you made the report. Exactly because they are afraid of the perp, they would tell him to deflect any aggression away from themselves.

I know, charming behavior.

@brambleit takes courage to make official complaints, and I applaud and respect you. I am relieved that one animal is now safe.  Not everyone has the courage to do this, but are usually relieved that someone has the fortitude to act.   If it was me- I would not say anything to her- as others said, she may be afraid to confront him. 

1 hour ago, bramble said:

He's not verbally aggressive, but often under the influence of alcohol/drugs. In my opinion a person who mistreats animals is also not to be trusted with children. He has two small children and is only allowed to see them in the presence of their mother and the Jugendamt. He doesn't know that I reported him, but he might suspect I did because I was near when it happened. I meet him often in the park or in the street and walk straight past him now without greeting him like I used to. That's not provocation but a silent statement of contempt. 

" Silent statement of contempt."

How beautifully put!👍💕

I'm unhappy because I have to phone or write several excellent, friendly and deserving families and people, who have been looking for a long time for a bigger place in Munich, and tell them that they can't have my rental as I can only pick one of them. I hate this. I'm into investing but I'm not a business man at all. To top it all, the family that were probably our favorite  had sent us a very cordial email to confirm their interest that landed in the garbish bin and just called us now, naturally after I had already called the family we picked to give them the news.

Unhappy.

When we rent out our rental flat, we have a showing and collect all of the interested party's papers. We tell them that if they don't hear from us in a said number of days (usually 3 or 4), they are out.

The frustrating part is that of the 20 or so interested parties, we call our first choice who refuses for some reason and then have to keep going down our list. These are people who were on their knees begging at the showing.

We get it. We probably weren't their first choice and they got another place.