Why are you unhappy today?

12,291 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Now that I read more pages, it seems the names are interchangeable.

Nope, not unless the pages you read were translated by the Local.

A safe room is where you keep your valuables.

A panic room is where you'd hide in the case of a home invasion.

A bunker is where you go to sit out the global zombie apocalypse, which some on this forum would have you believe is inevitable as mass infection with mRNA-based vaccines continues to accelerate.

49 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Nope, not unless the pages you read were translated by the Local.

A safe room is where you keep your valuables.

A panic room is where you'd hide in the case of a home invasion.

A bunker is where you go to sit out the global zombie apocalypse, which some on this forum would have you believe is inevitable as mass infection with mRNA-based vaccines continues to accelerate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_room

My daughter's nursery in London had a "safe room".   It was created after a bomb scare in the 1990s.  The police evacuated hundreds from Hammersmith Broadway tube, shops and offices.  But forgot them.   The nursery staff finally twigged on and in a panic took the babies and toddlers out themselves, handing them over the barriers to anyone who would take them.   Everything was okay though.  I guess "safe room" has a more calming name than "panic room" or "bomb room".  It basically just enclosed and away from any windows.

Not to beat a dead horse, but idiomatic usage of the terminology for “shelter” will vary greatly by locality, at least within my country.  Wiki is giving an overview and using bureaucratic language.  A “safe room” evokes a picture of a gigantic bank vault for me, but times change.  😂

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Call it a safe room, panic room, or piddle palace.  All that really matters is the architect or designer understands the performance objectives for your special place and can develop a build package for the general contractor.  If you rely solely on Wikipedia to define your project, you might get what you asked for but not what you wanted.

I have experience with special construction and renovation projects in different countries that included a panic room.  Without exception, the architects differentiated between a "safe room" and a "panic room".  As discussed earlier, a safe room is designed to protect the occupants against natural or man-made events that do not include forced entry.  A panic room is a safe room that also provides reasonable and limited protection against forced entry.  I can breach a safe room door in less than a minute with commonly available tools that I can carry in a backpack.  A panic room door will take much longer, but the intent is to deter entry while waiting on the cavalry to arrive. 

In each of my projects, the general contractor built the six sides of the room, which included the rough-in opening for the door but was not told the purpose of the room.  We had a different team deliver and install the door and any additional interior features after the project was complete.  The team also added additional post-construction architectural features to disguise the external appearance of the door so it wasn't obvious.

1 hour ago, JG52 said:

I have experience with special construction and renovation projects in different countries that included a panic room.  Without exception, the architects differentiated between a "safe room" and a "panic room".  As discussed earlier, a safe room is designed to protect the occupants against natural or man-made events that do not include forced entry. 

I saw you are American. But this distinction in Europe does not make sense. Our houses are in general built differently, so we don't need to make a special concrete room while the rest flies away.

and when instructing the architect about the mechanisms of the panic room,

please make sure the "close door" button is way above toddler height.

The "open door" button may be reachable though.

The thought of a toddler trapped in the panic room while you're still outside....

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

The thought of a toddler trapped in the panic room while you're still outside...

Several months ago our ca. 4 yr old grandson was on the Gäste-WC and idle hands found the key in the door which he then turned thus locking.

Of course he could not turn it the other way.

Luckily he followed instructions to remove key & push it under the door.

54 minutes ago, HEM said:

Several months ago our ca. 4 yr old grandson was on the Gäste-WC and idle hands found the key in the door which he then turned thus locking.

Of course he could not turn it the other way.

Luckily he followed instructions to remove key & push it under the door.

This happened with my niece as well at my parents house probably 30 years ago.  We had an extra key but were unable to get her to take the key out on the inside but managed to push it out with a screwdriver. 

My grandma actually had a toilet lock on the bathroom door in her apartment.  You could open it easy from the outside with a flat screwdriver.  Then my cousin figured that out and started barging in on everybody.  

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I saw you are American. But this distinction in Europe does not make sense. Our houses are in general built differently, so we don't need to make a special concrete room while the rest flies away.

All of my projects were in Europe, with half being in Germany, and I can assure you the distinction between "safe room" and "panic room" is very real in the circles I traveled.  I am very familiar with the European construction, as I am with the techniques and tactics to neutralize a room designed to protect the occupants from those who would do them harm.  I would never ask for a "safe room" when a "panic room" was required.

My point, which you might have missed, is whatever you call the room, make sure the designer understands your intent for the room.

12 hours ago, john g. said:

Usual Cretan dog story from me - barbaric. But safe now.

When I'm Hegemon, I will punish the perpetrators with the exact same cruelty they inflicted. No discussion, no args.

So I did the usual daily 20 minute walk alongside olive trees with puppy Mandy  to a quiet part of the village to feed Oscar, a stray cat. He waits at exactly the same spot every day.

There's a grey and white cat who sometimes watches and comes along for a share of the spoils once we move away.

Oscar was there- and so was the grey and white cat on the side of the road. His carcass. Bloodied mouth.

Not run over. Clearly poisoned. 

Oscar is the only cat in that area in the past year who hasn't been poisoned. Yet.😒

There used to be 5 or 6. Oscar's brother was one of them.

It has been three weeks! Time to go to the beach again! Haven't had time since arriving back from Hamburg on Saturday.

I bought a special bag at the pet shop in Hamburg to carry the dog back if the distance was too stressful.

So, 45 minute walk to the beach and looking forward to the taverna being open for an orange juice and toast and along Mandy and I went.

The bugger taverna owner  has not opened. Scared of corona plus he can't be bothered anyway.

We hung around for a while and walked back home in the heat.

Not a soul there.

Disappointed.

Mandy was fine. Bag not required.