Why are you unhappy today?

12,289 posts in this topic

Even as a football fan, I'm disappointed by the fact this is front page news. It's big sporting news, no more than that.

As for the ESL  itself, the saddest thing about it, is its inevitability. Something of this sort has been talked about for decades.

Once the Premiership was established - let's not forget, solely as a way to allow the top clubs to keep more of their revenue, rather than passing it down the league as had previously been the case, something like the ESL seems a logical, if disappointing, next step.

Fans have been treated like suckers by clubs and TV stations for years (less so by clubs here in Germany). 

The concept will be that if the product is good, the fans will pay. Man Utd and MK Dons have shown that if a club does something to lose old fans, they'll gain new ones.

What a huge shitstorm was created by the Super League. AC Milan and Inter also pulled out. 

Next topic please.

I'm unhappy that that one week of severe frost we had weeks ago (was it February?) has indeed blighted almost all my ivy plants, that I've had for years on the patio. They are several years old and have survived so many winters. That's when you get attached to your plants. Where they are looks like a disaster area now, such a shame, when everything else is sprouting new buds. Well, I'll have to replace them with new younger ivy plants now. 

8 minutes ago, bramble said:

I'm unhappy that that one week of severe frost we had weeks ago (was it February?) has indeed blighted almost all my ivy plants, that I've had for years on the patio. They are several years old and have survived so many winters. That's when you get attached to your plants. Where they are looks like a disaster area now, such a shame, when everything else is sprouting new buds. Well, I'll have to replace them with new younger ivy plants now. 

Our ivy plants are all but dead too.  I think it was a combination of the dry winter and frost. I’ve cut them back and hope they might re-grow.  Our apple blossoms too suffered with the frost...hope we get at least a few apples this year.

27 minutes ago, emkay said:

Our ivy plants are all but dead too.  I think it was a combination of the dry winter and frost. I’ve cut them back and hope they might re-grow.  Our apple blossoms too suffered with the frost...hope we get at least a few apples this year.

Our Ivy stuff will not die, it does not die and it laughs at me by growing back where I have pulled it up.

Ivy is pretty indestructable in my experience... I am sure if you just WAIT it will recover. Unless... let me guess, you are a Stadtmensch and it is in pots ?

24 minutes ago, optimista said:

Ivy is pretty indestructable in my experience... I am sure if you just WAIT it will recover. Unless... let me guess, you are a Stadtmensch and it is in pots ?

If it was in pots, I'd be able to to throw them out :lol:

It is unfortunately planet in the ground and the previous owner of our place used it around the terrace. This leave some the difficult situation of trying to kill it in specific places while having to keep it alive in other 8on the order of the Mrs).

Having said that, even if I could go full Rambo on it, it would still keep growing. It is basically the plant version of any horror movie creature, i will come back, it will never go away and even when you think it's dead, there will be just a little bit, hidden, down there, just under the soil, wait, waiting to come back...

9 hours ago, optimista said:

Mine are indeed in large plant boxes. I like the way they trail over the edges of the plant boxes. The winters have been pretty mild around here the past few years and except for a few dead leaves here and there they survived pretty well. This time, though, almost all the lleaves are dead. I've cut most of it back and am still waiting for recovery. But the climate has been so unusually cold this April, that it's a long wait. 

The stuff in the ground is indestructible. Horror movie creature a good parllel.

21 hours ago, bramble said:

Our 8-year old avocado tree died in early March, too. It was indoors all winter as usual, then we put it outside as it was warm enough (theoretically) at nights. I kept in a sheltered corner of our terrace and wrapped it in bubble wrap at the base and a big burlap sac up the the middle of its stem. Then we get some snow and a few cold nights, and I just kinda forgot to bring it in, lots going on... The leaves fell off, and I got a bad feeling... burlap sack pulled back to reveal a peeling (unusual) brown stem and I just knew it was done for. The base of the stem connecting to the root ball looked mushy, and that was that.

It was really just a kitchen experiment that went on for several years, but I still felt sad slicing it up into into the compost.

Ivy is the devil in the wrong spot, but at least it's not kudzu.

All those Victorian children who died from borax because of adulterated food/milk. To make merchants more profitable.

Have lost several plants this year.  Two big shrubs which have left big gaps which are difficult to fill.  My bay tree got frosted, it will survive but is mostly brown leaves.  The 2 elders that self seeded are a great success.  About to flower.  At the moment covered in aphids, which does not seem to bother them, and is making a lot of wasps very happy who are lapping up the sugary sap they release.  When they get too much and start making the flowers die, I wash them off with a gentle hose.  The ladybirds take a while to turn up.  But a feast for them when they do.  So this is not all unhappy.  Happy stuff too.  Perhaps we should use a gardening thread.

...and when I finally did have a go, it was the constant watering that got me. I didn't go with my bokashi, but went with chicken poo fertilizer.

So it fts well with the unhappy thread, because it was ultimately disappointing :)

So looking forward to flying to Hamburg mid-May to sort some stuff out. And yet my partner Nicole’s son , who WhatsApped me this evening, warned me we can’t go out for a meal or anything. I know that but it contrasts with here on Crete, where everything is finally opening up - restaurants , tavernas - all can open Monday if you are sitting outside. Warming up, where are my swimming trunks? 
Contradictions. 

12 hours ago, john g. said:

So looking forward to flying to Hamburg mid-May to sort some stuff out. And yet my partner Nicole’s son , who WhatsApped me this evening, warned me we can’t go out for a meal or anything. I know that but it contrasts with here on Crete, where everything is finally opening up - restaurants , tavernas - all can open Monday if you are sitting outside. Warming up, where are my swimming trunks? 
Contradictions. 

Flea-bitten Hamburgers have to make do with picnics for the time being, but step over the border into Schleswig-thingy and you'll be able to enjoy your sit-down meal on the terrace. Don't mind the biting cold.

On 4/25/2021, 7:57:55, john g. said:

All those Victorian children who died from borax because of adulterated food/milk. To make merchants more profitable.

Interesting video.

Thankfully nothing like that has happened since, I mean, imagine if someone came up with the idea to feed bovine spinal columns back to cows...