Why are you unhappy today?

12,036 posts in this topic

I totally disagree with UEFA’s attempt to revamp the Champions League as well. Hypocritical of them - yes.

But I bet the average footie punter is really angry. The fans themselves. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, john g. said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56800351

More on this disgrace. I suppose I may be venting alone on this here.. maybe LukeSkywalker is also shaking his head...

The days of football being about football ended before match of the day did. Since at least as long as Sky have been involved, it became about cash, the take over of Manchester utd by that American guy put it out there, even if people had been saying for years before.

 

The current champions league came about to make cash and the same is happening now.  Which club was it that played mostly their second team for the FA final one year as they had an important European match coming up? I'm also sure I've read about clubs not wanting to release squad members to the national team due to upcoming import champions league games.

This is just the next move.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also unhappy with this development of the ESL. It's all about money. Probably shown on pay-TV only. My teams Bayern Munich and Ajax are not part of it. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

The days of football being about football ended before match of the day did. Since at least as long as Sky have been involved, it became about cash, the take over of Manchester utd by that American guy put it out there, even if people had been saying for years before.

 

The current champions league came about to make cash and the same is happening now.  Which club was it that played mostly their second team for the FA final one year as they had an important European match coming up? I'm also sure I've read about clubs not wanting to release squad members to the national team due to upcoming import champions league games.

This is just the next move.

And didn’t Man Utd withdraw from the FA Cup completely some years ago to play a meaningless friendly somewhere? 
Football fans - but not plastic ones - love their traditions and their clubs. And, though relegation is dreaded , ( and my team Southend United could go out of the league maybe even tomorrow evening after 100 years ) a league without relegation is absurd. 
 

What angers me most- nobody has asked the fans of the clubs involved.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, john g. said:


 

What angers me most- nobody has asked the fans of the clubs involved.

 

Why does this anger you?

 

Football is still a business. I support my high street grocery store, should they ask me every time a decision is made?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because no club can survive without its true bloodline/lifeline- the fans. It is pointless.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cb6dba said:

 

 

The current champions league came about to make cash 
 

 

Please elaborate.

 

As far as I am aware the new Champions League came about to include more teams from more countries which is a good thing.

 

Could you explain what sort of cash were we talking about in 1992?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john g. said:

Because no club can survive without its true bloodline/lifeline- the fans. It is pointless.

 

And how do you define what and who is a fan?

 

Should a fan who supports Liverpool but live in Singapore get a vote in your master plan?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a master plan. Ask those international investors who are willing to rip the soul out of the game and create a closed shop for their own benefit. And not a league based on merit without promotion and relegation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, john g. said:

I don’t have a master plan. Ask those international investors who are willing to rip the soul out of the game and create a closed shop for their own benefit. And not a league based on merit without promotion and relegation.

 

The investors didn`t say we should ask the fans, you did.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you really not understand the depth of feeling on this issue? Read reactions in other European countries’ sports press as well .

This break away has nothing to do with all clubs having the chance to “ to do a Leicester “  or “ Atalanta” or a West Brom beating Chelsea 5-2 or a Notts Forest becoming champions of Europe twice etc.

 

It is against all sporting principles. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, john g. said:

 

 

It is against all sporting principles. 

 

 

 

What sporting principle is it against? 

 

Football is a business and at the end of the day the shareholders want to see profits.

 

If you hold say 30 Man Utd shares, what would you be interested in the so called sporting principles or your investment?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to respect the price of everything and the value of nothing.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, john g. said:

You seem to respect the price of everything and the value of nothing.

 

 

If I bough shares in a company I would want to see a return on my investment.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Please elaborate.

Could you explain what sort of cash were we talking about in 1992?

 

27 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Football is a business and at the end of the day the shareholders want to see profits.

 

If you hold say 30 Man Utd shares, what would you be interested in the so called sporting principles or your investment?

I'd say you've answered your own question.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

 

I'd say you've answered your own question.

 

Football now is very different from 1992.

 

Please can you elaborate on this statement.

 

Quote

The current champions league came about to make cash 

 

I thought the current champions league format was changed so that it included more teams, which I think was a good thing.

 

Correct me if I am wrong but did the television revenue money also change? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now