Why are you unhappy today?

12,216 posts in this topic

No idea! Some get adopted and foreigners come over and adopt - yet, with Covid , that has all stopped.

There are others here- a Wolfgang. a tough but tired German about 60 - he is currently with about 50 dogs- getting hassled by locals because of the barking etc- but he can’t get them flown off with carers because of Covid.

And there’s a Sue, a Brit around 60, with her Hector’s House- about a 100 dogs and 50 cats...

Never ending story...

And that is just in our area.

And just remembered a Greek lady, Maria..every day at the vet’s with yet another cat. She also looks after about 50 cats or so and has no private life. She is tired.

Leon- wonderful comment of yours, babe. It is the no kill policy that impresses. Every dog has a life.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

You know that I support what he does but at what point does he have too many older untrained dogs that aren't adoptable? I'm sure the puppies get adopted first as in every Tierheim.

At what point does a passion become an obsession when 450 dogs won't be adopted?

I think the proper word is devotion. And older dogs can indeed be trained. It's amazing what a few Leckerlis and lots of patience can achieve. 

56 minutes ago, bramble said:

I think the proper word is devotion. And older dogs can indeed be trained. It's amazing what a few Leckerlis and lots of patience can achieve. 

A friend once said to me-" Adopt a rescue dog.  Rescue dogs will give you unstinting love and will be keen to follow training to please you".

Of course, most dogs want to please, play and learn.

8 hours ago, RedMidge said:

A friend once said to me-" Adopt a rescue dog.  Rescue dogs will give you unstinting love and will be keen to follow training to please you".

We did 7 years ago (& he was estimated back then to have been 10 years old):

Dog.jpg

Said "to have been found on the street" which we don't believe as he would not last 10 seconds (runs in front of every car).

Perfectly house trained, loves long walks when its cold & dry.  Hates wet/damp weather.

Took him more than a month before he would bark - and that only because we accidently shut him out & he was sat on the doorstep.

Sleep a lot.  When awake he now growls at every passer-by, loud barking if anyone enters our garden.

Unfortunately he snores loudly.  Hes quite large for a Yorkshire Terrier - weighs just over 6 kg.

I think that adopting dogs is wonderful. Some get returned several times according to stories that I read. My point is that the shelter seems to be over crowded with more coming all the time. They aren't being adopted as fast as they come in, of course.

BTW, I do donate money to Takis regularly. I do support what he is doing.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I think that adopting dogs is wonderful. Some get returned several times according to stories that I read. My point is that the shelter seems to be over crowded with more coming all the time. They aren't being adopted as fast as they come in, of course.

I'm afraid that is the case for most animal shelters in Germany as well. They also are very dependent on donations as well as also being dependent on volunteers helping out. 

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

BTW, I do donate money to Takis regularly. I do support what he is doing.

I understand your frustration and I support him as well. I like that the dogs have so much space outside to run around and quite a lot even stay in his home. It's not his fault that Covid happened and less adoptions are possible. He's taking care of them the best he can. The problem is caused by the Greek mentality concerning pets as a whole and the Greek government not implementing the existing animal protection laws with enough force. This is the case in most southern and eastern European countries. 

Not a dog story this time.. one of my closest German friends of 30 years’ standing in Hamburg is in hospital and really sick.. can hardly speak, can’t walk, many tests tomorrow but looks like some kind of liver cancer. Moderate drinker, packed in ciggies about 5 years ago, vegan since he met his current partner about five years ago. USED to eat a lot of red meat and sweet foods... relevant? Dunno...

We were chatting away and laughing on Skype only last week and he was fine and felt good and happy.. 

Then I called him this afternoon and he was barely intelligible.

Fingers crossed, Mike😟

You are only 62, buddy. You must get through this.👍 

Sorry to hear that, John. Sadly, even giving up drinking  may leave liver damaged. Hepatitis can cause damage, and may not always be aware of this, plus genetic factors can play a role.

Hope tests and treatment  prove hopeful.

Thanks, Red.

Mike is such a lovely happy-go-lucky person , the most helpful person you could ever meet. He has never been a heavy drinker.  Glass of wine over dinner and then basta. We have to wait and see. I am trying to deal with the hospital and his health insurance on his behalf  ( bloody Datenschutz and it’s Easter ) and he seems to be in a state of delirium. He has a partner and a five year old son, who loves dinosaurs. 
“ We are coming to Hamburg in May and will visit you.”

” I don’t know if I will be around. Please pray for me.” ( Took him a couple of minutes to say that and it was difficult to understand his diction.)

We love Mike to bits. 
❤️😟

1 hour ago, john g. said:

We were chatting away and laughing on Skype only last week and he was fine and felt good and happy.. 

Then I called him this afternoon and he was barely intelligible.

The speedy decline is indeed worrying. Doesn't sound like liver disease but I'm not a doctor.

I’m sorry John, but this speedy decline  could be acute liver failure... can you ask his partner what is going on?

Yes, Metall! I will fish out the phone number tomorrow. I have only met her once on a flying visit to Hamburg two years ago  (to sort out some bureaucracy) when I took a toy dinosaur to their child at their house. I can’t remember her name off- hand but it doesn’t matter.

Edit: Cathrin

There is hope. My DearOne suffered liver failure a year ago. The doctors gave him no chance at first . Now he is doing fine.  Keep the faith, john.g.

Hi John,

I sure hope he will get better and have a few more years. I did pray for him, since you said he asked you for prayer. 

Sorry for going off topic. Happy Easter to all on TT who celebrate it.

On 26. 10. 2019., john g. said:

Ah yes, Magmax!I !

I got arrested at the Paraguayan border with Brazil way ba

On 27. 10. 2019., jeremytwo said:

On 07. 02. 2020., fraufruit said:

On 18. 04. 2020., john g. said:

I took away our staff‘s weekly rations and told them to bugger off, Smaug!😂

On 16. 05. 2020., jeremytwo said:

Not that I go to those sites, John, but don't they have to change them now? Those women with naked...mouths!

I reckon they have to change all the films and maybe blur out the mouths!

Can you imagine visiting some massage parlour and the charming lady is administering to your needs but with a mask on? Surreal eh?

On 27. 08. 2020., john g. said:

I have never heard of the word! My first impression here when I saw this thread? Sounds Australian!

Mike is a bit better today. Tests and with his usual zany humour “ Arschversorgung “ ( ie needs to empty his bowels ready for full checks tomorrow when the docs are around ) and including “ our Skype chat may have to continue from the toilet “ and was a bit more coherent in his speech.

Partner is not allowed to visit.. “ ungünstig “.

” hey, John, I’m happy. We may get married in Denmark when this is all over! “

( Not to me - disclaimer!😂) though we were married in a previous life!  See next utterance.
Mike is very spiritual.

I had offered 3-D insurance advice!😂

Mike, babe. Chat tomorrow, yes? Sleep tight.

We love you.

Mike has just Skyped, sounding very happy! Docs checked his whole system - nothing wrong and he can go home now❤️👍

And Kathrin definitely wants to marry him!😂

At death’s door and now all set to carry on living!😀😀😀😀

I’ve known Mike for 30 years, Metall! I’d never heard him sound or look ( we skyped with camera ) so awful ever. This guy is normally the born optimist and happy-go-lucky!

A changed man this afternoon- simply incredible.

Thank you, JN53, by the way, and all those who showed their support and empathy for our dear friend❤️👍