Why are you unhappy today?

12,021 posts in this topic

Wanted to put in the happy thread that I saw a fox in our garden. First fox seen as we live in a town.

Lovely bushy tail, beady eyes, very

impressive animal.

But the bugger caught and killed a couple of the neighbour's chickens.

A painful and gruesome incident.

Ain't nature cruel...

Don't know if you've been following the 80 day - around the world, alone, non stop sailing race?

The Vendee Globe ended for the winner last night.

Was a nail biting finish as the "first across the line" had to wait for two competitors to finish.

One had a 6 hr credit ( so if finished 6 hrs behind the first boat, they'd win.

One had a 10 hour credit.

The credits given because they spent time rescuing others earlier on.

Well the German, Boris Hermann  was 3rd and had 6 hrs credit....

until as you see in the film, after sailing around the globe and with 90nm to go

he hit a fishing boat in the Bay of Biscay.

He'll finish this morning and a huge achievement it is for all finishers.

But nearly was a non-frenchie who won the race.

A Hamburger he is too...

Yes - still happy for the rest - especially Pip Hare (from Poole) who has just crossed the equator on her way to the finish.

Vendee Globe 

Yes, we've been following and Himself gave me the bad news this morning. How does that happen???

Just glad that everyone returned safely including the fishermen.

It is true that fishermen often don't turn on their AIS. They don't want to give away their position to other fishermen.

What a pity.

45 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Maybe it should go in the conspiracy thread...

"French trawler scuppers German attempt to win French race"

It was on the news (Tagesschau), too.

What are the odds? And no time benefits for that?

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You don't get time benefits for running into things.

...that aren't supposed to be there.

Them trawlers should've been kept out of the race's way, for Pete's sake!

1 hour ago, Sannerl said:

Them trawlers should've been kept out of the race's way, for Pete's sake!

90 miles out at sea, international waters and all that.

"Should keep a proper lookout" is the sailor's rule (he was asleep at the time)

But what do you do as a singlehander in a race?

Others hit things in the Southern ocean - whales maybe or containers

and had to retire. 

7 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

90 miles out at sea, international waters and all that.

"Should keep a proper lookout" is the sailor's rule (he was asleep at the time)

But what do you do as a singlehander in a race?

Others hit things in the Southern ocean - whales maybe or containers

and had to retire. 

The trawler should have looked out since sailing boats have the right of way!

Not enough info around yet.

I'll wait for the jury.

PS

Don't expect a fishing boat to ever move out of your way.

Just saying...

9 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Not enough info around yet.

I'll wait for the jury.

PS

Don't expect a fishing boat to ever move out of your way.

Just saying...

Or a cruise ship.

I've got my rudimentary knowledge from MAD Magazine - imagine a raft with a sail...

They can't just change course when they are dragging a mile of nets behind.

I read every week about another cargo ship losing hundreds of containers. They are all out there and often floating just below the surface.

So far, it looks like a failure of his radar alarm system but we will have to wait and see.

Occasionally, we come across huge cargo or tanker ships with their AIS turned off. We assume that they are not where they are supposed to be. They are easily spotted in the daytime. We never sail at night. Neither one of us can stay awake in the cockpit. :rolleyes: We found that out almost the hard way. Ferry ship.

Our favourite cat, Rosina, four years old, poisoned somewhere in the village yesterday. Despite the vet’s efforts- too late.

RIP Rosina🙏🏻💋

FB349E3C-8BC4-4ABF-A36F-E4B28B34D961.jpeg

Hello John . What kind of people do scch things. I am realy sorry for the cat.

Good evening, Magmax🙏🏻

I am afraid some people just don’t understand others can love animals and wish them harm. 

It is unfortunately very common here😟

Not only on Crete, of course. But it is bad here. 

The other day, my partner Nicole was in town at a supermarket and three women behind her in the queue gossiped in Greek. One of them was particularly aggressive and tried to jump the queue and commented to her “ friends “ ( and not realising her/ our Greek is coming along ) “ she’s the woman who likes dogs.”

Unbelievable.

By the way, three of our other cats haven’t been around since yesterday...🙁

Good evening Fraufruit and John.. (ladies first) I hope cats  will come back

Good evening, dear Magmax🙏🏻
Still missing.. we think victims of the same poison. No sign of them.. though you never know with cats..

We bought a couple of cat food dispensers the other week to put in the patio and to test them before we leave the cats to their fates when we travel to Hamburg in May for 10 days..how will the cats get on? Will they be ok? 

Now there are hardly any cats😢

That's awful, John. I fear the worst. Though keeping my fingers crossed they will turn up again. I always wonder why cats (and dogs) refuse anything with pills in it (you have to trick them), but their sense of smell fails them with food with poison in it. 

I have recently realised how vital for survival a cats sense of smell really is. One of my two elderly cats is losing her sense of smell. I feared she had developed kidney failure because she was rapidly losing weight (quite common with senior cats), but her blood test revealed she was perfectly healthy. Then I discovered she was eating less and less and in desparation I opened a can with tuna fish, which she gobbled up. It was then I suspected her loss of appetite had something to do with her sense of smell deteriorating, which the vet confirmed can happen with an old cat. It seems she can only smell food with fish in it now, so that's what she's been getting the past few weeks and she has gained weight again. I'm worried that she might not be able to smell anything at all sooner or later and when that happens she will starve to death if I don't put her down despite being otherwise healthy. At 17 she's still fit and agile. The thought is pulling me down.  Force-feeding an old cat indefinitely is no option. Pure trauma. 

It was then I suspected her loss of appetite had something to do with her sense of smell deteriorating, which the vet confirmed can happen with an old cat.

This also happens with people who have dementia and lose their sense of smell.  The sense of smell triggers the salivary gland and the swallow function actually begins before the food enters the mouth.

(I’m a retired speech/language/swallowing therapist.)

she can only smell food with fish in it now, so that's what she's been getting the past few weeks and she has gained weight again.

Brilliant!  Find anything you can that stimulates her appetite and run with it.  👍

I’m worried that she might not be able to smell anything at all sooner or later and when that happens she will starve to death if I don't put her down despite being otherwise healthy. At 17 she's still fit and agile. 

The fear is realistic, but due to your astute observations she’s made a comeback.  Keep up the good work.  😀  You are a healer.  She’s a lucky 🐈 to have you.