Why are you unhappy today?

12,021 posts in this topic

@cybilOh, my dear, I'm so sorry. I lost my mum early January four years ago. I came home after many years abroad to be with her and help her, but we only got three months. But at least I was there. I know how hard it is not to be there, as I was away when my dad passed away eight years earlier, and it still hurts that  I didn't get to say goodbye to him. But I could help and support mum afterwards.  Your situation is so much worse. I really feel for you. I do hope you get to Skype with your mum, and that your dad will be able to cope. Hugging you.

4 hours ago, cybil said:

Today my father wrote that he took my mother to hospice. Only yesterday, after a trip to the ER did they get the news that Mom has three brain tumors and multiple other large tumors throughout her body. They gave her a week to three months to live. This after her four years with contained sepsis in her right knee that started with a routine knee replacement surgery. A month ago the orthopedic dr. said it was time for Mom to have her left hip replaced but she'd have to have that sepsis knee and leg below it amputated first so the sepsis couldn't get into the new hip area.

My family, scattered across America and no sibs near my parents, me over here in DE, all thought her rapid cognitive decline in the month after that news was depression, wondered about her strange memory issues, thought maybe it was dementia creeping in at 78, then Dad wrote about needing to buy Mom diapers, after some years of them both getting up in the night up to six times to get Mom's swollen leg fluid all peed out on a proper toilet.

Today I went to work an hour after reading the hospice bit, totally messed up the cash register, blabbered to co-workers and guests, and the tears just kept on flowing. Managed to drive to/from work ok. Not managing to sleep tonight. Won't be managing a flight to see Mom now or help Dad out when she's gone any time soon. Glad for Skype and hope it works at the hospice so I can see my Mom one last time at the very least. Overwhelmed but also glad she'll soon have no more fear about an amputation to deal with and no more massive lack of sleep (Dad as well). Sorry already  for my Dad who will be on his own in that house at 81. She was his entire world. 

When it was time for my mother to go to a hospice I suggested to her being kept under anaesthesia (an opioid in combination with a benzodiazepine at a dose sufficient to keep her unconscious but not enough to suppress breathing) for what turned out to be the last two weeks of her life. That´s what she wanted and the physician in charge complied. I had a last talk with her to her and then the infusion was started,  I don´t know whether that´s something your mom wants to consider but I think she should be aware of that option.

I'm terribly sorry, @cybil. It sounds like your mother has been suffering for a long time. I do hope you get to "see" her at the hospice. After that, I wish her a swift and peaceful passing. 

I could have written your last two sentences in 2014. 

These are just awful times for families with needs.

Big hugs for you and let us know if you need anything.

@cybil. I add myself to the kind voices above but cannot add more than what has already been said. This is really, really tough and so, so undeserved. I wish you the strength to get through what's coming as best you can.

Been there.

All we can do is wish you and your family strength. Lots and lots of.

((((((((HUGS))))))))

I just found out that my friend's husband succumbed to corona. He put up a good fight for a few weeks. I'm just heartbroken for her and all concerned. I can't seem to stop leaking.

We called an appliance repair chap asking for advice regarding our faulty oven. He turned up today without appointment.  Before I knew what was happening, he was in our house chatting to my husband...both without face masks.  I alerted both re mask necessity. The repair man then went into big detail that he had already been infected with corona early 2020 and now not infectious.  I stayed away as dubious.  Just as he left, he suddenly rambled on about corona being fake, plandemic bla bla bla.

I’ve now had to disinfect our whole kitchen and hallway. My husband had been a bit blasé before though now realises this stupidity....especially as he has an overdue heart operation that is continuously delayed due to the hospital’s ever increasing COVID cases.  

1 hour ago, emkay said:

The repair man then went into big detail that he had already been infected with corona early 2020 and now not infectious.

My niece (a young doctor in A & E of a London hospital) currently has the Corona virus for the second time...

Just want to thank my bank again... by the time you get the TAN, for which you are charged, the computer has chucked you out. :angry: Looking forward to closing my account shortly.

Damn Covid. And damn their stupid, cruel, inhuman rules. Another one gone and unable to say their last goodbyes. Beyond words. I weep for you my friends.