Why are you unhappy today?

11,695 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

John,

Save the screenshot as a picture file on your phone. Possibly edit with 'paint' or some such to black out sensitive details.

Then create a TT reply and add the picture file as an attachment.

A couple of experts are checking all this and close to identifying  the aggressor. I will say no more right now. 
Thank you for your empathy those of you who wouldn‘t wish to be threatened like that...👍🏼

18 hours ago, fraufruit said:

@john g

Is your business registered in Germany? You life has been threatened due to your business. Do you work for a company or are you 100% independent? 

Try reporting it where you are registered. Is that Hamburg?

Or don't take it seriously.

Just for the record- yes, my business is registered in Germany. I am 100 per cent independent. Registered in Hamburg.

I doubt it is business-related at all. We have done no business. The perp is likely a sociopath/ psychopath. 

50 minutes ago, john g. said:

Don‘t like this, either - includes another beheading..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54729957

Is it me or is this just becoming a very regular thing - terror attacks? It's now so often in the news, it just seems like 'oh another one', and a few weeks later another etc. Sad that this terrible news sprinkles the already bleak corona-filled newsreel.

Well, it is certainly big news in France right now- first the killing of the teacher because he „ showed a picture „ of Mohammed and now the killings in a church... revenge? And some Muslim countries are boycotting French goods etc and Macron is getting „ heavy.“

1 minute ago, john g. said:

some Muslim countries are boycotting French goods

Presumably though this works both ways and people (and possibly countries) boycott goods from Muslim countries. :unsure: 

There are countries I don't buy from when I see the country of origin, but because of their treatment of women or minorities.

Sure! In my student days, I made a point of eg cancelling my Barclays Bank account in London when it was purported to be supporting apartheid in South Africa. That was the „ cool „ thing to do.

Well, at least the US is getting better at catching our terrorists before they kill. The FBI is doing a bang up job with the peckerwoods in Michigan.

I am unhappy because the daughter of one of my best friends passed away a couple of weeks ago.

The funeral is being held today, in Scotland, and I have been sent a link to be able to watch the service per video streaming.

Whilst I want to "be there" for my friend, I am not sure if I can bring myself to watch it.

Modern technology can be a blessing, but also a curse!

16 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Is it me or is this just becoming a very regular thing - terror attacks? It's now so often in the news, it just seems like 'oh another one', and a few weeks later another etc.

It's maybe a little bit "just you."

I don't know how old you are, but terror attacks have been a regular thing for a long time. Sometimes getting more, sometimes getting less attention in the media.

As long as your definition of terrorism doesn't simply mean "Muslim attacking Westerners," then the news is full of it; there are surely several terror attacks in various parts of the world in any five-year period.  2001 was the second terror attack on the WTC, then attacks both domestic and foreign in Oklahoma City, Orlando, Las Vegas, Norway, Ireland, the UK, Germany, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indonesia, France, Sudan, various embassies around the world; it has never really stopped, the only thing that changes is the individual's sympathy toward the background of the perpetrator or the victim, or both.  IMO.

Is it me or is this just becoming a very regular thing - terror attacks? It's now so often in the news, it just seems like 'oh another one', and a few weeks later another etc. Sad that this terrible news sprinkles the already bleak corona-filled newsreel.

I just think the news reports every single one of them and has been doing so for years to shift public opinion. If they reported every rape and specified the race/ religion/ country of origin, the hate would be directed at another group. I just want to be clear I hate how criminals use the name of religion to commit barbaric acts and in no way support it. I just think media plays a big role in how people think of certain groups. It is like how black men are perceived in the states. When the media focuses mostly on crimes committed by this group, with time people start to unconsciously have a negative opinion.

Presumably though this works both ways and people (and possibly countries) boycott goods from Muslim countries. :unsure: 

There are countries I don't buy from when I see the country of origin, but because of their treatment of women or minorities.

Everyone has the freedom to boycott who they want of course. In terms of treatment of women, I agree there are some backwards ways in some areas. I have actually lived in a few muslim countries, and you would be surprised how much the media has been false in some things. I would be careful who to believe. And the hate for France and some other European countries runs deep for some because of colonialism. Some countries were colonised till 70s and remained "quasi colonised" until the 90s. I have heard many stories of women getting raped and killed from these colonisers. Of course no one will talk about those aspects.  The countries are still semi controlled from outside and cannot develop and remain developing countries. Hence to search for a better life for their families they leave for N. America and Europe. 

24 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I am unhappy because the daughter of one of my best friends passed away a couple of weeks ago.

The funeral is being held today, in Scotland, and I have been sent a link to be able to watch the service per video streaming.

Whilst I want to "be there" for my friend, I am not sure if I can bring myself to watch it.

I am sorry for your loss. That must be so difficult. 

I am unhappy today because I cannot find a doctor to take me seriously. Sucks when you know something is wrong and the "must be hormones" or "you sure you are not pregnant" is tacked on as an excuse not to address what is actually going on. 

13 minutes ago, Narjiz said:

I am unhappy today because I cannot find a doctor to take me seriously. Sucks when you know something is wrong and the "must be hormones" or "you sure you are not pregnant" is tacked on as an excuse not to address what is actually going on. 

We have a Ladies Section that is locked to the general public (and Google) if you would like discuss your doctor issues in more detail with other women. You might have to ask a moderator to give you access first. :-)

44 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

😥 I am tremendously sorry for your friend's loss and for your accompanying sadness.  I buried my son almost 11 years ago, and I have friends who have had to do the same.  So has @fraufruit.  I would urge you to do what you feel comfortable doing, or not doing, and to not feel guilty.  There are many ways to help. People who lose children need love and support long past the time of a funeral.  Personally I have always been most grateful to those who could accept where I was at the time and be non-judgmental listeners.  The first few years were miserable.  That holds true as well today for days like his birthday or the anniversary of his death.  Remember that you can not fix your friend's pain.  I hear the love in your heart and I know that you will find your way to be supportive.  Be kind to yourself. Your strength will help both of you.  Reach out privately when you are able to.  

2 minutes ago, Metall said:

We have a Ladies Section that is locked to the general public (and Google) if you would like discuss your doctor issues in more detail with other women. You might have to ask a moderator to give you access first. :-)

Thanks I didn't know something like that existed. 

Rob, I, too, am very sorry for your friend's great loss and for you witnessing it. 

What BethAnn said.

Two of my friends lost their sons in the last few months. It is so hard.

Hugs,

Fruity

43 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I am not sure if I can bring myself to watch it.

We joined the funeral of my sister-in-law a couple of months back, and it was surprisingly do-able, and surprisingly meaningful, even though it sounds such a bizarre thing to do.

It is not possible to tell why someone leaves if they do - internet connections and technology being somewhat erratic, so you can join and go again if it really is too hard, without needing to feel as though anyone is going to feel let down.

As BethAnn says, there are many ways to show support, so if you really don't feel up to it, your friend will know you care regardless. What a difficult time for all of you who knew her, and who care for this family.