Why are you unhappy today?

11,447 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Do we know how many women were on the jury that exonerated him?

8 women, 5 men.

5 hours ago, katheliz said:

@snowingagain, thank you for your answer. The mind is boggled and flummoxed. :( The heart is outraged.

There were a lot of conflicting statements from witnesses and from the main accuser. I guess the jury were just not sure enough about it all to convict him.  

Let's just do away with the courts, then, and have trial by media. Remember: all men are rapists and women never lie.  :rolleyes:

On 24/03/2020, 09:21:30, katheliz said:

A good (good, not ethical) lawyer can do that.

I understand how people get upset about stuff, but calling barristers unethical for providing a good defence in an adverserial (or other) legal system is misguided.  If you were charged with a crime, would you expect your representative to do less?  Can you give examples of a better system?

@snowingagain, I remember the defending lawyers in the OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony trials getting obviously guilty clients off.

In the Simpson case, it was like watching Three-card Monte; his lawyer, Johnnie Cochran, played the game skillfully and Simpson was found not guilty. 

In the Anthony case, the opening defense argument was that Casey Anthony had been sexually abused by her father, which Jose Baez appeared to present as a mitigating circumstance, should Anthony be found guilty. That accusation was never referred to again in the trial, and Baez' red herring helped to win the case for him.

I recognize that defense lawyers claim it would be unethical not to use their best attempts to win release for their clients. I call it unethical when they lie during their performances.

My youngest son, Fuenfling, has a law degree, but he doesn't practice.  He told me once, "Ma, I could have been a happy lawyer, but you insisted on raising me with a conscience."

9 hours ago, katheliz said:

He told me once, "Ma, I could have been a happy lawyer, but you insisted on raising me with a conscience."

Truly heartwarming

A finer compliment to you both would be hard to find.

When the seed of doubt has been sown, some people just do not have the courage to send someone down despite all the evidence and what common sense tells them. My mother's only experience of jury service in UK concerned a flasher. He had a prediliction for 14 year-olds. Her gut instinct told her he was guilty as soon as she set eyes upon him.  The jury had to spend 15 days (maintained at tax-payers' expense) deliberating over fine details like whether the car he was in was light blue or grey... in the heat of the moment a traumatised adolescent is expected to reliably remember such details. There was doubt. But I think she may have been distracted from the colour of his car by what he was doing in front of her... he got off (what an unfortunate pun) because one elderly juror just could not get over his doubt. The perp turned out to have previous convictions.

On 17.3.2020, 20:06:46, cybil said:

Ok, I actually came here to say I'm unhappy today because I just read an Email from my father in America stating that after four botched knee surgeries (the first that led to encapsulated sepsis in the knee) and my mother taking six weeks of an agressive antibiotic, as the previous antibiotcs didn't do anything to erradicate the sepsis, the sepsis is still alive and well. My mother, who hasn't been able to eat much for the last six weeks, is now facing an as-soon-as-possible amputation above the knee with no possibility of a future with a prosthetic leg. She is in a lot of pain because part of her leg bone has broken and the the 'pin' is unstable in there too. My father is pushing for an ASAP surgery to put an end to her physical pain and try and get it over with 'before the coronavirus spreads.' Unfortunately I think the hospitals will soon not allow visitors (like here) and he plans to stay over in the hospital with her (can't imagine that will work, beds are needed!) and then home health aides will also most likely be restricted and not be able to come help with dressing changes and drainage tube. Then there is the rehab after all that, will the rehab clinics in America be open when she need to get to one? I think not. What an awful situation. 

Update. My parents decided to wait on the operation. Thank goodness. 

On 20.3.2020, 17:26:54, cybil said:

The renter, who is dying of lung cancer, was sent home from the hospital today. They needed her bed. She will die in her old apartment in the company of her sister and son. We have no idea if they can get any kind of Pflege helper to come or hospice but I assume they have given her a lot of drugs to ease her end. 

The renter passed away at the hospital on the 26th. Up to those last hours she was still able to be cared for at home by her family. No more suffering. 

A friend's Mother died yesterday. Friend is here, Mother lived in Scotland, so she can't go back to say goodbye.

I just don't have the words to comfort her, although I've been trying.

Though happy to still be employed, am unhappy that my shift leaders, younger than me, have decided I am suddenly not a useful worker nor trainable! One is constantly undermining me by blaming me for his mistakes! He even called the boss and loudly proclaimed that I was useless on the shift and then turned around and sent me home 1.5 hours early.

When I asked my boss if someone could please train me on one particular station that I am struggling a bit with, I received no comment and each shift leader I asked just spoke to me as if they already thought I was too stupid to learn anything new.

Instead of doing the lighter work, which I am also more efficient at, I have been given heavier jobs more often, despite having an Artzt attest that says this kind of work should be minimized. It's all about the 'buck' and not about the workers well being now in the struggle to keep our workplace from going belly up. One shift leader even said, 'I don't know what to do with you now your sation is pretty much closed,' and though I told him, 'I'm great at the XYZ station' I didn't get assigned it, as that was his prime spot!  I get the feeling some mobbing is going on in hopes we older workers will just fold and quit. Well, I'm not quitting boys!

I took my 80 year old mate, Pete , a stew my partner Nicole had made for him today. He was chuffed about it, sitting in his wheelchair but sad- anniversary of his wife’s death around now and, wheelbound, remarked: “ I’ve been on lockout for a year now.”

🙁

Worried for my godmother, who's in a care home where five patients are now suspected of having Covid19. It's thought to have been brought in by a care worker. The patients concerned are supposedly being isolated but the fact that it got into the home in the first place and apparently already spread to five people doesn't inspire confidence in the place's hygiene measures.

...because it is Easter weekend and I have no Parsifals, Passions, or Messiahs.

It is killing my artist soul

Armed with the emergency document et al, popped around to take a meal to my 80 year old buddy, Pete! We kept our distance.

Pete used to be a top class musician and told me a story about when Louis Armstrong visited his club in South Africa many years ago, what he liked to drink etc. Fine! Fun!

We got chatting about the situation here re corona bla bla and dogs- his passion. 
So what made me unhappy? Pete and his now deceased wife lived in a house hundreds of metres away from the next house a couple of years ago and he told me someone had called the cops because Pete‘s dogs were barking. Three cops came - one with a fucking machine gun. The cops realised the dogs were harmless and eventually left.

Who had called the cops? The fucking ex-President of the village. ( President is what Greeks call the Mayor). 
Pete just said- „ he hates the foreigners in the village.“ 

And then I chatted to a retired English guy who told me a German friend and his wife were filling up their motorbike at the petrol station in Chania recently and had taken their crash helmuts off.

A cop came up and told them they would both have to pay a 350 euros fine! Meanwhile, a Greek guy turned up without a helmut on. 
The German guy to the policeman- „ what about him then?“

Cop: „ I don‘t care about him.“

Fucking corrupt bastard. All about milking the „ rich.“ ie foreign pensioners.

As the corona crisis worsens and the economy tanks even more- expect more of this.😟

And Takis, Crete’s number one animal  rescuer, was out  feeding and trying to coax a sick dog to go with him- he spotted someone getting out of his car, going to a rubbish container with a bag, dumping the  bag into the container and driving off.

What was in the bag/ rubbish container? Three still alive puppies.

Hoping he was able to catch the culprit on his car cam.

Jeez,fraufruit. This guy is out and about the whole time in an indifferent society.

I don’t know if he has the same hassles re Emergency Documents every time he leaves his place.

We fed a blind cat etc today in our local area. The black mum dog didn’t show up but we left a couple of pork chops on a wall-just in case.

I think the dead cat on the pavement in our village has been removed after a week- tree cutters were around and cleaned up a bit.

We were at odds with each other- which section of the Emergency Document do we need to fill in to - take food to an 80 year old friend, let the dogs run around at the beach for 20 minutes ( no one else around ), stop to leave food for this or that animal?

The cops had ( we heard ) been at the beach- Easter coming this week and , normally , full of Greek visitors from Athens etc - and, who, like every year, abandon their baby dolls ( ie puppies ) there.

Ah, well🙁