Why are you unhappy today?

11,496 posts in this topic

Last week I called an old friend of mine and she told me that the doctors found a shadow on her lung.

Possibly cancer. When we lived together (20 years ago) , she stopped smoking. (I refused to lick an ashtray.)

However, after she left me, she married a smoker and started again.

It knocked him down when she told him about the result of the examination. He immediately had to light a cigarette.

I'll never understand why people are so keen on smoking.

They risk their lifes.

7 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

They don't believe in consequences.

Like the relative of a work colleague of my daughter - brain dead after falling off a horse at full gallop & with no helmet.

15 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Last week I called an old friend of mine and she told me that the doctors found a shadow on her lung.

Possibly cancer. When we lived together (20 years ago) , she stopped smoking. (I refused to lick an ashtray.)

However, after she left me, she married a smoker and started again.

It knocked him down when she told him about the result of the examination. He immediately had to light a cigarette.

They risk their lifes.

Funnily enough. Answer...me and my partner Nicole were talking about this topic this evening. It´s her son´s birthday today. When her son was born, she immediately stopped smoking. Never a ciggie since then..33 years ago today.

And I remembered my daughter´s birth 31 years ago in Hammersmith hospital, London.

My then wife was " waiting " and i went off for a ciggie break ( I was a smoker back then ) and, believe it or not, two or three expectant mothers joined me for a quick ciggie.

The way it was back then.

( Still works in Greece...)

39 minutes ago, HEM said:

They don't believe in consequences.

Like the relative of a work colleague of my daughter - brain dead after falling off a horse at full gallop & with no helmet.

You see it all the  time around here, HEM. Father or granddad on a  motorbike---he with helmet, the child without.

I'm unhappy that there are so many needy animals in the world and I donate to animal charities several times a year. But today i got rather annoyed that a well-known animal charity (one that I had donated to a few times last year) actually called me on the phone today to ask for monthly donations for shelters in Rumania in need of heating as it was freezing cold there. I was annoyed because this charity (Vier Pfoten) includes small gifts (pens, writing pads, stickers, calendars) in every one of their numerous begging letters, which I find a terrible waste of donation money. I don't want my money being spent on these silly things. I said as much to the woman on the phone. She explained that they have found they get more donations if they include gifts, than if they do not. I said, that's very sad, people normally donate without expecting something in return. I told her not to call me again, that I prefer to donate when and if I see fit. Afterwards I was sorry for being so curt, but I'm still annoyed. Besides, I think they include these gifts because people feel compelled to donate because they feel guilty for keeping something for nothing. It's psychological manipulation. Don't like it. 

I was about to say " how terrible " that a mother will be imprisoned and what about her young child..until I read she had assaulted /coerced 35 sex workers...now I am just confused...I don´t know what is appropriate here...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51094361

Mind you, she is also worried about her status for her latest album...narcissism v motherhood?

You have resigned from your current employer?  Or is this another store within the same company?

If the former, when you have your "Leaving Chat" with your current manager you calmly report the facts & say "Goodbye".

5 hours ago, robinson100 said:

I am unhappy because I have got what I wanted, but in doing so, have lost the battel.

A rather new member of staff has been making my life hell for months now, and doing his very best to make me look like a total idiot - unfortunately, rather successfully!

So, in chatting with the boss of anotehr store, I mentioned that I am desperate to get away from this person as it really is not good for me to continue working with him.

End of the story, being that the other boss has arranged for me to work in her store for most of February. And I am sad about it.

After 25 years with the company, they have allowed this one little bastard to walz in, make my life hell, and push me out of the store I helped to build-up!

Feeling so, so sad right now...

That is tough, dear rob. So many virtual (and real hugs )...shame the people in your store haven´t sided with you against what seems to be mobbing,

Visited my old mate Pete, 80, today. He loves his two dogs, mourns his deceased wife Annie, who died a year ago, and is in a wheelchair.

Two dogs? No longer..one of the loves of his life, Oscar (one of the dogs ) had to be put to sleep the day before yesterday. Another friend buried the dog in Pete´s garden.

But the stubborn bugger won´t give up..he´s adopting another dog from a rescue shelter next week! It will be a big dog for security reasons. He leaves his door open most of the day to let the other dog in and out without having to keep standing up ( which he can´t..)

23 minutes ago, john g. said:

That is tough, dear rob. So many virtual (and real hugs )...shame the people in your store haven´t sided with you against what seems to be mobbing,

Interestingly enough, the colleagues from Western European countries all see it as a case of mobbing, but he has been able to influence the girls from eastern countries, and one even claimed to think of him as her brother!!!

The one thing he can do really, really well is talk - sounds like a real professional, with absolutely amazing abilities when you talk to him - and yes, his abilities are amazing-           -ly few and far between when you actually see his working...

Really sad about the whole thing, but happy to be getting away from him - this whole thing has done my health and self-estime absolutely no favours.

28 minutes ago, john g. said:

But the stubborn bugger won´t give up..he´s adopting another dog from a rescue shelter next week!

Please tell me that Takis isn't giving dogs to people like him who can't take proper care of them.

You are way above that guy in virtue, talent, and kindness, rob ( based on my observations of your posts for over a decade .(. He may be a slimy newcomer but he will learn his karma lesson  one day.)

Live up your self-esteem, dear rob, and show the people in your new place you are THE gal!

:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Please tell me that Takis isn't giving dogs to people like him who can't take proper care of them.

No, different dog shelter, fraufruit.

Pete has a lady helper/cleaner/cook throughout the day who cleans up stuff...

The other shelter...we have been there..all well and good but the dogs ( about 100 of them ) and cats  ( about 80 of them ) are cooped up in a fenced  nothing space in the hills  (unlike Takis´s place ) and it stinks and no Freilauf for the dogs...terrible place..though well-meaning and the lady there, Sue, loves the animals but...

Pete, at least, has a garden.

I took Pete a chicken curry when I went round there:P and left Max and Mandy outside. Pete said: " let them in." So I did.

And they löved him!  They loved him so much, Max didn´t even bite Pete!

:lol:

26 minutes ago, john g. said:

You are way above that guy in virtue, talent, and kindness, rob ( based on my observations of your posts for over a decade .(. He may be a slimy newcomer but he will learn his karma lesson  one day.)

Live up your self-esteem, dear rob, and show the people in your new place you are THE gal!

:rolleyes:

Thanks John, nice to hear something positive!

@robinson100: So sad to hear that. I hope you will have lots of nice colleagues in your new place of work.

Make sure you get a good reference and think about some of the things you would like mentioned.

Lost my job through registered post. Then everyone panicked for whatever reason and through four missed calls, emails and SMSes, I was begged not to open the letter...

Letter was folded in such a way that it had my name, address and the line "Kündigung des Arbeitsverhältnisses vom" clearly visible through the window. Called. Told it was true, just the date in the letter was wrong. Yay. And this after we were assured twice that no one was going to be let go due to the bad financial year. AND being assured that even though the project I was hired for didn't receive funding that I would be kept.

Already have the first interview lined up. But I feel like I'm at the age where I want to settle into a job. My forever job. Sorta thought this was it. :/