Why are you unhappy today?

12,682 posts in this topic

There's no good time to split if you are not the one deciding. Sorry. And have a hug. Maybe in years to come when you are happy you will realise he was not the right one anyway. I did.

New Years Eve disaster in Krefeld Zoo.

https://www.focus.de/panorama/welt/unfassbare-tragoedie-silvester-drama-im-krefelder-zoo-alle-affen-verbrennen-im-gehege_id_11508271.html

Im Krefelder Zoo ist in der Silvesternacht das Affenhaus abgebrannt, alle in ihm lebenden Tiere sind ums Leben gekommen. "Unsere schlimmsten Befürchtungen sind Realität geworden", schrieb der Zoo am frühen Mittwochmorgen auf seiner Facebookseite. Wie die Polizei später in einer Mitteilung erklärte, starben mehr als 30 Tiere bei dem Brand, darunter Schimpansen, Orang-Utans und zwei ältere Gorillas. Unter den toten Tieren seien auch Flughunde und Vögel, sagte eine Sprecherin.

Wie ein Ermittler auf einer Pressekonferenz erklärte, wurden die in großen Teilen Deutschlands verbotenen Himmelslaternen gefunden. In den Trümmern wurden drei entsprechende Zylinder gefunden. Derzeit gehen die Ermittler davon aus, dass die fliegenden Fackeln ursächlich für den Brand gewesen sein sollen. Es kann also von einer fahrlässigen Brandstiftung ausgegangen werden. In allen Bundesländern außer Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ist der Einsatz der Himmelslaternen grundsätzlich nicht gestattet.

In Krefeld Zoo, the monkey house burned down on New Year's Eve, killing all the animals living in it. "Our worst fears have become reality," the zoo wrote on its Facebook page early Wednesday morning. As the police later explained in a statement, more than 30 animals died in the fire, including chimpanzees, orangutans and two elderly gorillas. Among the dead animals were flying foxes and birds, a spokeswoman said.

As an investigator explained at a press conference, the sky lanterns, banned in large parts of Germany, were found. Three corresponding cylinders were found in the rubble. Investigators currently assume that the flying flares are believed to have been the cause of the fire. It can therefore be assumed that the arson was caused by negligence. In all federal states except Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the use of the sky lanterns is generally not permitted.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Bloody fireworks. Said it before. Do we really need pretty sky? Really?

28 minutes ago, optimista said:

Bloody fireworks. Said it before. Do we really need pretty sky? Really?

The monkey house was set on fire by sky laterns not by fireworks. It was too far away from housing areas, so it could not be reached by rockets.

These bloody sky latern can drift miles and set building on fire far away.

" Our worst fears have become reality," .

If they already had fears that something could happen to the monkey house, why didn't they fixed the problem?

When I have the impression that something is wrong with my brakes, I will get it fixed and don't run to a church and pray that nothing will happen.

6 hours ago, bramble said:

New Years Eve disaster in Krefeld Zoo.

https://www.focus.de/panorama/welt/unfassbare-tragoedie-silvester-drama-im-krefelder-zoo-alle-affen-verbrennen-im-gehege_id_11508271.html

In Krefeld Zoo, the monkey house burned down on New Year's Eve, killing all the animals living in it. "Our worst fears have become reality," the zoo wrote on its Facebook page early Wednesday morning. As the police later explained in a statement, more than 30 animals died in the fire, including chimpanzees, orangutans and two elderly gorillas. Among the dead animals were flying foxes and birds, a spokeswoman said.

As an investigator explained at a press conference, the sky lanterns, banned in large parts of Germany, were found. Three corresponding cylinders were found in the rubble. Investigators currently assume that the flying flares are believed to have been the cause of the fire. It can therefore be assumed that the arson was caused by negligence. In all federal states except Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, the use of the sky lanterns is generally not permitted.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Very sad, bramble.

I was happy to read this today..where animals were saved in Australia:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50962775

Meanwhile, in Australia...

first-dog.png

"First Dog on the Moon offers a stunning, furious, appropriately smoke-stained reflection on the fires in his country and his government’s bizarre refusal to confront the crisis.

He gives it the ungainly title, “The pain and terror of these bushfires cannot be held in a single human heart,” and indeed, you’ll agree by the end.

Go read the rest here. He’s brilliant and frequently angry to begin with, but this is a masterpiece."  - Mike Peterson,  http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2020/01/04/csotd-the-eve-of-destruction/

I have a pen friend Brittish expat who lives in Kreffeld.

Last Sunday/Monday started with a very slight sore throat which never developed into "Smaug mode".

Followed by slight cold.  Thought I was going to get away with it but the last 2 days have been with heavy

cold & now painful cough.  Treating it with household stuff (Lemsips, Wick & now started with ACC...)

Currently no point in visiting local doctors & exchanging germs in the waiting room...

So..Results came back from the Scan...

Blood tests yesterday eve, This morning Mum was called in to the docs...   No messing.. no waiting.. straight in...

Myeloma.. Bone Marrow cancer.. Its in every bone in her body.. :(

Doc says there are 3 types of treatment... to which mother replied... or maybe we just leave it and let it run its course... 

I am slightly speechless at the mo... 

Now you know why I suffered so much when I heard. All the best for your mother. That call is numbing. Take care.

4 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Blood tests yesterday eve, This morning Mum was called in to the docs...   No messing.. no waiting.. straight in...

Doc says there are 3 types of treatment... to which mother replied... or maybe we just leave it and let it run its course... 

I'm so very sorry.  My father was in a similar situation with colon cancer 10 years ago, and we just dealt with this with my DIL's mother these past several months.  Right now you are in shock.  My thoughts are with you.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

That's just horrible. And the "cure" may be -  well, not worse than the disease, but...

Let me guess: Chemo, radiation and (not or) bone-marrow transplant?

How old and - more importantly - how agile is she?

When he was 80, my FiL had an aggressive type of blood cancer, first falsely diagnosed as a skin matter. When finally diagnosed correctly, it was too late already - but they tried chemo and radiation therapy nonetheless. Despite the fact that the cancer felt like being skinned alive, after a few sessions he preferred to return home to his wife and spend the rest of his life in dignity. We lived in the same city and took care of my MiL after his death (she stayed in their own apartment until her death many years later).

It's really, really hard - but ask your Mum what she really wants for herself and assure her that you stand by her whatever she decides (even if it's heartbreaking for you).

(((((hugs)))))

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Shittiest news of the day on here and here´s rooting for your mum. Please respect your mum´s wishes - the way she wants it - even if that is tough to swallow. We " all know better " until it affects us personally. 

16 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

That's just horrible. And the "cure" may be -  well, not worse than the disease, but...

Let me guess: Chemo, radiation and (not or) bone-marrow transplant?

How old and - more importantly - how agile is she?

When he was 80, my FiL had an aggressive type of blood cancer, first falsely diagnosed as a skin matter. When finally diagnosed correctly, it was too late already - but they tried chemo and radiation therapy nonetheless. Despite the fact that the cancer felt like being skinned alive, after a few sessions he preferred to return home to his wife and spend the rest of his life in dignity. We lived in the same city and took care of my MiL after his death (she stayed in their own apartment until her death many years later).

It's really, really hard - but ask your Mum what she really wants for herself and assure her that you stand by her whatever she decides (even if it's heartbreaking for you).

(((((hugs)))))

I couldn´t agree more. DIGNITY is the key word.

My dad was 84 when he was diagnosed with cancer.  They started chemo but he didn't do well with it and asked to stop.

Hope you can visit your Mum and support her in her hour of need. Make sure you tell her how much she means to you and that you will always be there for her. Hope she finds some comfort in your words.

Cyber hugs from Stuttgart.

16 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

...or maybe we just leave it and let it run its course...

I imagine your mum is not young. This is probably the wisdom of a lifetime. The least of two evils.