Why are you unhappy today?

12,758 posts in this topic

There is more. Today I did a language test without which you will not be granted French nationality. Guaranteed to cause anyone to vent. If only you could get on the venting thread.

I had bought a train ticket online in advance but owing to the train strikes did not dare to use it. I will have to try and scrape the fare back.Yippee.

Upon arrival at the test centre they said they were introducing a new test format from April and that today's test was only valid until then instead of two years as previously, so nationality applications have to be submitted before April. Yippee.

Certifs will be issued in person only in a month's (so reckon on 2) time. Yippee.

There were about 20 of us, half wearing veils. Abdulla, Bin Laden and Fatima alphabetically favoured. I was second to last after a 3 hour long wait in almost total silence. Got talking to a lady from Camaroon. Silence again after she was called. We had 29 (eh?) multiple choice questions which required being able to listen and read the possible answers simultaneously - and deduction skills. Anyone with only half a brain would not stand a chance. Then we had the one-to-one where you were required to philosophise for four long minutes on culture and literature. Oh boy. Then you had to do a role play. I felt like a bloody chimpanzee. I ruminated at length on introducing Fish & Chips to the Alsace... scraping the barrel somewhat. The lady laughed at the end and said she enjoyed the humour. All this was recorded and sent to Paris for analysis...

Got out lunchtime. Ate the most disgusting kebab. Never again. The bus home was due at 3 p.m. so having 2 hours to kill I hit a museum and art gallery. Exhausted after one hour. I have no truck with the modern stuff. Who does? Even Picasso's Man with Straw Hat was not up to much. And Monet is a mess. I like my still life and Dutch Golden Age. But there was not much of that. Then could not find the way out despite following the signs. Meandered around the labyrinthine old town where there is a Xmas market and thousands of tourists. I felt very annoyed. And exhausted. Indigestion and thirst kicked in. Full moon tomorrow. Followed the signs to the station but ended up... not at the station... wasted a lot of time and caught the bus with seconds to spare. A delight to be back in sleepy old ...

38 minutes ago, optimista said:

I cannot put this on the vent thread, as I have been locked out of same.  FFS.

So here goes. Here.

I hit the bank and talked about the bank fees they had charged me for me doing their work. I am trying to get my money out of Switzerland but if you do not want to pay them hefty charges - and nobody will tell me in advance how much that would be - you have to do James Bond style manoeuvres with wads of bank notes. I have done two runs and need to do about 6 more. The Swiss bank rang me yesterday and I had an ugly chat with my personal adviser, who I have only ever spoken to once before in 30 years. He is a patronising, lying git, obtuse and obstructive. They do not want me to me remove my money. Suddenly they are unable to send me stuff to sign by snail mail... yes really. The stuff I have signed was wrong. Oh really? I do not want to buy an insurance policy in avoidance of paying bank fees. I want to close my account. Without penalty for withdrawing so much lucre in so short a space of time. They do not want to hear that. They want to speak to me in person. I do not want to speak to them in person. I will continue the 007 manoeuvres.

Hiding money in shady Swiss Banks? Duh! ;) 

No. Clever dick. It is possible to live and work in Switzerland. Which I did. It is a major, well-known bank. I am not hiding the money. The taxman even knows about it. But I am sick of being robbed.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

I am trying to get my money out of Switzerland but if you do not want to pay them hefty charges - and nobody will tell me in advance how much that would be - you have to do James Bond style manoeuvres with wads of bank notes. I have done two runs and need to do about 6 more.

OK. We are talking about ca. €75.000-80.000 in total. Forget about James Bond. He is old. You need Jason Bourne. One more run. You can hide more bank notes in your undies than you think 👻.

Be careful. A friend of mine got caught muling cash over from Switzerland some years ago. Only bring the allowed limit.

OK. I know you aren't stupid.

13 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You can hide more bank notes in your undies than you think.

How do you know? I suspect it would be rather uncomfortable.

Especially, if the dog's name is Luke, haha. 

No, I was thinking by car, e.g. a Fiat 500, definitely not a Mercedes or BMW. These are checked.

There´s a " guard dog " behind fencing " protecting " a building close to a quarry. His name is Heraklis. We pass by sometimes and leave this lovely dog a bone etc.

He was blind in one eye the last time we went there a couple of months ago.

We stopped today on our way to a village for lunch and a walk around. We had a bone. We threw it over the fence. He suspected something but couldn´t grab it straight away. Why not? He is now blind in BOTH eyes.

This poor mite is a guard dog? No, he is a lonely, ignored soul with a wasted life inflicted upon him by a callous, uncaring building owner.:angry:

As usual the cruelty of people. The idiots you given everything they asked .

Too true, Magmax. We called the police a year or so ago because we suspected animal cruelty. They came from a town about 30 kilometres away and asked us to stay away. They later met us and said " we phoned the vet and the paperwork is ok ".

We can´t change it..it is a needle in a haystack.

We can only do our bit.

There is a dead cat on the pavement up the road. It was there yesterday. I  feel sorry for the cat but it really is up to the locals to care a bit more.

And Heraklis is blind. And nobody gives a shit.

So does Heraklis, Spider. Your compassion is evident. You don´t miss the red button. You miss caring about the weakest.

Spider, man. That is a dreadful post. Totally callous.

I'm not happy because I forgot to take my happy pill. Just took one.  I expect to be posting in the I'm happy thread soon...   standby

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I miss the red button.

Spidey, as a survivor of the red button shock treatment in the past, you should know that clicking that  button has proven ineffective to what the offender will continue to post. I myself have sometimes wished for this option too on certain posts.  I've come to learn that the best response is no response. If you don't agree with what someone says, fuck it. It's not worth one iota of your precious finger tapping time. Some people get a rise getting a rise out of you. Don't succumb to it. They are losers, and your peers will recognize that.

YOU do, Magmax! I don‘t know you but you come across as a young person still with youthful love in your heart!

I can read between the lines.

Thank you for that John g well try my best vich is missused by some people in my life.