Why are you unhappy today?

11,188 posts in this topic

John- respect for your commitment to our canine friends. I can understand your despair and rage at the inhumane  and,more likely, the careless ignorance.

Keep up the rescues, and pity the owners who never feel a dog's unwavering love.

From the hints he has been dropping, I'd say John is getting very tired, too tired in fact of the relentless cruelty in his area...

Very true, Metall! It is also energy-

sapping , especially from June to mid- October ( hot! ) and difficult from December to February ( can be very stormy and with torrential rain.)

it is time-consuming- 45 minute walk to and back including feeding time for another abandoned dog with puppies ( somewhere... haven’t seen them. )

And the sheer indifference amongt 90 per cent of the locals.

There are pictures I wouldn’t post here. Too dreadful.

At least it keeps me fit ( fit-ish!) scrambling around with one good eye and removing thorns from my ankles all the time! Scrub land...

?

On 11/6/2019, 7:41:49, john g. said:

.I will leave the patio door open so that Max ( der immer kann! ) can do it outside

What about installing a doggie door?

6 minutes ago, jeba said:

What about installing a doggie door?

Ha!!! Ever seen that on Cyprus? Greeks don´t do that!!!! Dogs are outside hanging on their chain/leash. And wasting their lives.

Dogs don´t belong inside the house here.

Same on Cyprus?

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

Ha!!! Ever seen that on Cyprus? Greeks don´t do that!!!! Dogs are outside hanging on their chain/leash. And wasting their lives.

Dogs don´t belong inside the house here.

Same on Cyprus?

I got mine at the local hardware shop. Unfortunately, very often treatment of pets seems to be Greeek-style.

That is the point, jeba.Then you wait for the carpenter or whoever is the handyman and they don´t show up.

I am, unfortunately, not a handyman and am willing to pay.

People we know over the years: both have failed to turn  up for some urgent stuff since July-ish. And these are people who actually like us!

As a rule ( with exceptions ), Greeks don´t give a shit about dogs, meeting timetables or even calling back.  They just don´t. Dunno about Cyprus.

11 hours ago, john g. said:

As a rule ( with exceptions ), Greeks don´t give a shit about dogs, meeting timetables or even calling back.  They just don´t. Dunno about Cyprus.

Not too bad as far as punctuality is concerned. Last week I made an appointment with a roofer to show him where I live (on the fields without a street address as the house was built without a building permit) and we both arrived at meeting point 1 min early. When my electrician was late by 30 min he phoned me beforehand. So generally, my experiences in that regard haven´t been too bad. It´s different when it comes to treatment of animals though (btw just like people eating factory farmed meat). Very much Greek style. But parliament recently passed a law to fight cruelty to animals. Let´s see whether this makes a difference.

and yet video refereeing works in Cricket and Rugby, I reckon half the problem might be the interpretation is too vague and also that everyone thinks they know better than the Ref.

Funeral looming. He was there in the evening but not the next morning. 75.:huh:

I'll take your advice John.

On 11/10/2019, 5:55:10, john g. said:

I am old-fashioned. Accept the referee´s decision. This VAR stuff is ruining the flow of a game and causing its own controversies. If necessary, keep it just to get a red card rescinded but otherwise..

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/50091670

Neutral in this game, by the way.

On 11/10/2019, 7:34:55, French bean said:

and yet video refereeing works in Cricket and Rugby, I reckon half the problem might be the interpretation is too vague and also that everyone thinks they know better than the Ref.

I think part of the problem is expectation.  The goal line technology works great, because it is either a goal or not.  Black or white.

People expect black and white decisions where there are humans involved, and the game is not that simple, and we still have humans making decisions and they are interpreting it.  They are just using technology to aid them, not make the decision for them.

On 10/11/2019, 18:34:55, French bean said:

I was watching Match of the Day some years ago, I can't watch it anymore as the dramatics by the players on the pitch boils my piss.

The "Experts" were discussing a decision. Hansen says "Well technically, the ref is right".  Just shut the fuck up then Hansen, end of argument.

French Bean is spot on with his comment on the players thinking they know the laws better than the referee.

Having probably refereed hundreds of games of football myself, I know that players assume that every time the ball strikes the hand, it's handball.  It's isn't.

When it's "ball to hand" that's accidental.  When it's "hand to ball" that's deliberate and warrants a direct free kick.

If football got it's act together and the players treated the officials with respect, the game would be so much better for it.

Referees don't always get it right, so you accept their failings, or use VAR.