Why are you unhappy today?

11,098 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear your news John. I'm so loved up with my furry baby I'm not ready for any new kind of loss. RIP Snoopy.

I haven't heard any follow up news about the over 100 tuberculosis cases near Karlsruhe that made the news in early August. The story was in a Deutsche Welle article and only a blurb about the number of cases having risen to I think 120 popped up on the news ticker on the bottom of the screen on the tv channel Welt last month. The story involved a school where the majority of the cases showed up. 88% of the eighth grade class was infected. Why? No further news. Strange. Was it fake news? 

6 minutes ago, cybil said:

I haven't heard any follow up news about the over 100 tuberculosis cases near Karlsruhe that made the news in early August. The story was in a Deutsche Welle article and only a blurb about the number of cases having risen to I think 120 popped up on the news ticker on the bottom of the screen on the tv channel Welt last month. The story involved a school where the majority of the cases showed up. 88% of the eighth grade class was infected. Why? No further news. Strange. Was it fake news? 

So 4 people with active TB, and the rest others so far only testing postive as exposed.  The latter cannot spread it further and are being monitored as a small percentage (especially any with weakened immune system) will progress to active TB.  In the area, 50 to 60 cases a year are the average.  So this is a bigger than normal outbreak but the health authorities are confident they are in control of it.

I knew someone who got TB in the 90's. She told me you don't actually get sick from it unless you have a weak immune system. Otherwise you are just infected and don't get sick.

As a point concerning TB, in the UK it was virtually eradicated to the point where the Leicester Royal Infirmary closed its TB ward down many years ago. But then came cheap international travel which allowed relatives from poor countries to visit families in the UK and now TB is back and I believe the TB ward has been re opened. Modern living, cheap travel and Globalisation have a lot of disadvantages.

TB.JPG

UK  and Wales.  Solid line is active TB.  Dotted is deaths.

Treatment is now much more effective, and does not normally involve staying in hospital in the UK.

Sorry to hear about your dog john g.

On 24. 08. 2019., john g. said:

Almost the end of an era. We could have ended it at the vet today but gave Snoopy a chance.The best food ever for a couple of days..guilty conscience etc. We found Snoopy in Heraklion around 2006. Such a sociable dog. So beautiful. It´s nearly over. The big beige dog. The fastest of all in Hamburg running against his friends.

He can hardly walk. He can hardly eat.

His mum is waiting for him. I told him that last night. He licked my hand. He knows it is over.

IMG_8942.JPG

Back in July 2017, one of my friends lost his son when he took his own life at 33.

Now, the elder son is in hospital after attempting to take his life.

I know there will be many contributing factors as to why this happened, but in my opinion, alcohol is a major factor.

My friend is a heavy binge drinker, his wife is an alcoholic. The son too drinks heavily every night, more so after losing his brother.

Just because alcohol is readily available, we think that it is not a harmful drug. I know that it is.

Look out for signs of over indulgence in your family and friends.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49755240

So many people support footie teams for glory. Not all... but it´s easy being eg a Liverpool or Barcelona fan around the world. They´re big, famous, rich etc. Ok

Some of us support crappy teams ..in my case, Southend United in Division 1 in England (ie Division 3 in old parlance )...and a winding up might happen.

It happened to Bury the other day..I understand the unhappiness of their fans.

I have been a Shrimpers fan for 55 years! I should have been locked up decades ago!

B)

Side news: they actually won their first game this season this afternoon ! Wonders will never cease!

Sorry to hear that your companion has gone, Leon. They enrich our lives so much when they are with us, and leave such a hole when they go. 

Sorry to here that but animals are like people, when they've had enough they decide it's time to go and that's it.

Ahh, man. I'm sorry @LeonG. It is our burden to have to outlive our beloved friends this way. 

59 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Update on my cat Tom. I had to put him down today. He stopped eating fairly quickly and just wasted away.  Didn't really matter what I offered him. Stuff that he'd gobbled up before, simply no interest.

I am unhappy that he's gone but relieved his fight is over.  =^..^=

Hugs, Leon🙏🏻

17 hours ago, LeonG said:

Update on my cat Tom. I had to put him down today. He stopped eating fairly quickly and just wasted away.  Didn't really matter what I offered him. Stuff that he'd gobbled up before, simply no interest.

I am unhappy that he's gone but relieved his fight is over.  =^..^=

(hug)

The one colleague from back in the bad old days who was nice and and fair and supportive is cruelly dying of cancer at a far too young age. A father of two, not even fifty yet.

I created time between two flights to sit in the hospital and talk about life and death with him. It was saying goodbye, as he will be gone by the time I'm back.

He's at peace with the process, and wished me all the love and success possible together with Mr Metall.

The two talked on the phone...

Damn, I'm not at peace with process. Dust in my eye.