Why are you unhappy today?

11,176 posts in this topic

Update on my post from 11 Aug. concerning the elderly Lady. Unfortunately she died last Monday. I was not there so I cannot say what from but she was talkative and without infection when I saw her on the Sunday. She had been eating and drinking very little and we are not allowed to force food or drink into people. She was 98, seemed in reasonable health inspite of the condition of her body so maybe she just died because of old age, who knows.

52 minutes ago, French bean said:

Update on my post from 11 Aug. concerning the elderly Lady. Unfortunately she died last Monday. I was not there so I cannot say what from but she was talkative and without infection when I saw her on the Sunday. She had been eating and drinking very little and we are not allowed to force food or drink into people. She was 98, seemed in reasonable health inspite of the condition of her body so maybe she just died because of old age, who knows.

Same age as my aunt who passed away three weeks ago (on vacation with her youngest son and his wife with whom she lived).

Sadly, I couldn't make it to the funeral (Munich - near Hamburg) because of severe tooth problems (root canal).

29 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Same age as my aunt who passed away three weeks ago (on vacation with her youngest son and his wife with whom she lived).

Sadly, I couldn't make it to the funeral (Munich - near Hamburg) because of severe tooth problems (root canal).

2 certainties in life, taxes and death.

Unfortunately, circumstance sometimes stops us from doing what we want but I'm sure it won't be held against you.

17 minutes ago, French bean said:

2 certainties in life, taxes and death.

Unfortunately, circumstance sometimes stops us from doing what we want but I'm sure it won't be held against you.

It won't - my cousin understood even without mentioning the tooth problems.

Good thing is, we're in contact again (lost contact because of my aunt moving).

I'm unhappy today because one of my cats has kidney problems. He's 14 so he's about due for old age and health problems. We all have to die of something. I'm hoping I can enjoy his company for a few more months as long as he is ok and not suffering. Right now he seems to be enjoying life still, just lost a bit of weight.

47 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I'm unhappy today because one of my cats has kidney problems. He's 14 so he's about due for old age and health problems. We all have to die of something. I'm hoping I can enjoy his company for a few more months as long as he is ok and not suffering. Right now he seems to be enjoying life still, just lost a bit of weight.

He's on a special diet now of course?

Hugs to all of you.

21 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

He's on a special diet now of course?

Hugs to all of you.

The vet didn't say anything about a special diet, just to encourage him to drink more water. I'm not sure how you encourage a cat to drink water. He gave him a shot, said it might help.

There actually is special food for cats with kidney problems, especially if they are close to kidney failure.

It prolongs the cat's life quite a bit.

My cat survived another 2 years after diagnosis thanks to an excellent vet.  Let me know if you want recommendations for food etc.  I was recommended SUC too and it helped with the appetite loss a lot.

The cat will know when it´s getting close to the end...it will withdraw more and more. I can only recommend spoiling the cat with its favourite food and lots of hugs. 

I look back and made a great mistake. My cat Hemingway lived to 18 or so. I brought him to Crete five years ago and he was fine. Yep, he was getting skinnier and skinnier but he still ate. It was not his decision to be put to sleep. It was mine.

I was wrong and he looked at me at the vet´s.  The look was " why? ". The cat should decide. If it stops eating, it´s clear but otherwise..not so clear.

It´s a heart-breaking issue whichever way...

2 minutes ago, evildudette said:

My cat survived another 2 years after diagnosis thanks to an excellent vet.  Let me know if you want recommendations for food etc.  I was recommended SUC too and it helped with the appetite loss a lot.

So which food did you get? I am just trying to get him to eat enough at this point. Basically anything he wants.

@LeonG I lost my last two cats to kidney issues - it's actually a very common cause of death for cats.  

If he had any reasonable appetite a low protein food is actually best as it's more gentle on the kidneys.  But once they lose their appetite it is best to just give them whatever they will eat.  One of my cats was partial to super creamy pate-treats (they come in a tube) and "perle" wet food.  Towards the end it was the only thing he'd eat, and he basically just licked the gravy off :(  The other went downhill fast and simply stopped eating entirely.

and yes this advice to "get them to drink more" is not only unhelpful, it's nigh impossible - they simply can't drink enough to offset the reduced kidney function.  The only thing I know of that can really help a cat with kidney disease is subcutaneous fluids.  This is huge in the US but every vet I've dealt with in Germany says it's "cruel" and "doesn't work".  I can attest that it does help a lot, it's not cruel at all as the cat is far more comfortable, but you'd need to find a vet who supports it. 

You can administer the fluids yourself by injecting them under the skin at the scruff of the neck, whence their little bodies absorb it slowly and it provides enough water in their systems to allow their kidneys to clear the toxins even at reduced function.  Most cats accept it without a fuss, or even happily.  But germans seem to be 100% against it.  It's maddening but if you want to learn more you can check out https://www.felinecrf.org - it's the most informative site I've found about renal insufficiency in cats.

many virtual hugs to you and your furry friend.  

When I was growing up in the UK we had a cat "adopt" us which the vet diagnosed with a kidney problem. The cat would have been around 10 at the time. The vet put him on a special dry food diet (came in a big tub, bought from the vet) and he (the cat, not the vet) loved it. Wouldn't eat anything else. He lived until he was around 20.

This info from a doctor/lecturer at the small animals clinic of Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich says that cats with chronic renal insufficiency should be put on a special diet, mostly obtainable from vets, ASAP.

"Nach der Diagnose sollte die betroffene Katze so bald wie möglich auf eine entsprechende Diät umgestellt wer- den, um die Nieren zu entlasten und eine weitere Schädigung zu verzögern. Dadurch können nachweislich eine verbesserte Lebensqualität und eine deutlich verlängerte Überlebenszeit erzielt werden. Es gibt verschiedene kommerzielle Nierendiäten, die zum größten Teil über den Tierarzt erhält- lich sind."
https://www.med.vetmed.uni-muenchen.de/downloads/pressemappe/nieren.pdf

Here's a veterinary practice in Hanover that has a page about this problem:

https://www.tierpraxis.de/fuer-tierbesitzer/chronische-niereninsuffizienz/
And it looks as if Hanover University also has a small animals clinic that deals with this problem:
https://www.tiho-hannover.de/kliniken-institute/kliniken/klinik-fuer-kleintiere/spezialsprechstunden/innere-medizin/urologie-nephrologie/

I have a (human) medical background, but the principles of a renal (kidney) diet apply to animals, too. In a nutshell, it is essential.

Leon, put your cat on that diet if she will accept it. Some cats btw have to be kept indoors so they don't snack on other food not good for them.

Our cat was diagnosed with kidney problems and we were told to give him special food. Royal Canin has a special selection of cat food but it is only available from a vet. Kattovit  also has a selection of special cat food which you can buy online.

We also tried the infusion therapy. Our vet showed us how to give him the infusion so we could do this at home.

https://www.kattovit.com/index.php/niere.html

We were very fortunate to have a vet who did home visits as it is a lot of stress to put a cat in a box and transport it to the vets, but sometimes there is just no other way possible.

When the time came to let him go, we took him into the living room and he was put to sleep on our coffee table, in his own home with us by his side. I hope he thought, oh here we go again, the strange person ( the vet) will give me another injection but my family are here with me. Although it was a very sad occasion, it was quiet, very dignified and he was not frightend at all as he had no idea what was going to happen as he was used to the vet coming and examining him.   

Wishing you and your cat all the best.

I'll let you know the food brand when I get home - I tried several but the vet recommended one (I think it was Royal Canin) was the only one that helped.  Kattovit and other store-bought ones didn't go down well in my house. I second what Lisa said about subcutaneous fluids - it helped her a lot and she always came home from one of those sessions with an appetite which was great.

Ideally it's all a low-protein diet but give them whatever they will eat. Mine ate roast chicken from the deli, because I would give that cat whatever she damn well wanted at that point.

I would once again recommend SUC, it really did help with appetite. You can buy the three parts on amazon (Solidago, Ubichinon, Coenzyme), mix them and squirt it into the cat's mouth: half a syringe at a time, one full syringe per week.  I was sceptical but it really did make a lot of difference for my fluffball.

My cat simply refused to die. I took her a couple of times as she appeared to be in such a state but she would look at me and outright refuse, and the vet always found 'one more thing' to try and it always helped.  I was going to let her make the decision, and while all she wanted to do was sit with me in the sun, she purred like mad and I couldn't give up on her.  In the end she had a stroke and her little body gave out.

It's a year today since I lost her and I miss her terribly.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

I look back and made a great mistake...

I was wrong and he looked at me at the vet´s.  The look was " why? "

John you are blaming yourself and interpreting that look. Maybe he was saying goodbye and I don't want to go. Does not mean you were wrong. You did the kind and courageous thing by putting an end to his suffering. Yes, it sucks. A no win situation.

Some bastard hit our cat and she has a broken hip and a severed tail. It has to come off next week and she will have to be immobilised for a month in order for the hip to stand a chance to mend. I would call it a day but hubby is going this route.:(

My son's cat had the kidney problem for a long time. The last 2 yrs. she was also dribbling around the house but they just couldn't let her go. She wouldn't drink water either so I ordered them this little cat fountain that also filtered the water from Amazon. She loved it and drank again. Sadly, Tiger had to be put down this year when she appeared to be suffering. The vet said that cats are great actors and it's hard to tell.