Why are you unhappy today?

11,179 posts in this topic

The cruelty in the Mediterranean towards animals is sad... vets *not permitted* to treat strays? That will effectively shut down the rescues.

Maybe that's the reason.

Yes, Metall! Plus...which vets will earn the money? OUR favourite vet cares but I couldn´t reach him.He does animal rescue...he would find a way to lie and cheat on behalf of the animals we bring to him. I won´t mention his name , of course! I don`t like lying and cheating on a daily basis as a way of life but if it helps animals....

I do despair...hit and run...just hit by an arsehole in his car and that is it. The guy ( my Albanian neighbour saw him ) just scarpered. He had " better things " to do. A bit of Raki drinking?  Bastard.

John... 

I am sorry that you have to go through this every day or so it seems.... I am not a huge animal fan.. but I would never hurt one either...

You blame the guy assuming he was going off on some Raki or Ouzo binge...   and called him a bastard... 

Maybe he had already been on the binge...  you dont know... 

But I am sure that if the dog could talk, he would tell you that he didnt look both ways before crossing the road.. !!!..  If he is truthful, he will also tell you that he was on his way to rape some bitch somewhere and go robbing food... 

I know we all have things that make us feel better...    I admire what you do... but would it not be better to go and volunteer at the rescue center instead of creating yourself so much stress by being the rescuer?

Please dont bite me... but I do see these woofingtons as being a huge drain on your emotions... 

Actually, I really appreciate your honest post, Spider.

Young dogs are just like children- they just lack the experience of dealing with traffic. And the problem is here: in so many cases, the locals run over/ hit an animal and just leave it there. They know full well what they have done but don‘t care.

I haven‘t got the time to get involved with helping in an animal welfare centre. I am still working full time despite the glamorous location!?. So we just react to what we see when we can.

There is an incredible Greek guy called Takis who is looking after about 300 dogs?.

He rescued a puppy with a broken leg at 3 in the morning yesterday after he got an anonymous phone call. On his way back home with the dog, what did he see on the roadside thanks to his headlights? Another abandoned puppy?. So he took that one as well!

Agapios from yesterday: vet has plastered a fractured leg in two places and given him the necessary jabs, blood tests etc and he should pull through. The vet will let the dog stay in his surgery till tomorrow.

I have left a message with a lovely Greek lady we know who helps find foster homes for dogs at home and abroad and hope she can help again.

5 hours ago, john g. said:

I am still working full time despite the glamorous location!?. So we just react to what we see when we can.

I think that if you chose to live somewhere untouched by civilization and where life is cheap, you need to reconcile yourself with the reality that it is untouched by civilization and that life is cheap.

The only problem with that argument,Kommentarlos, is: it is much more expensive than most parts of Germany! Apart from the basics (tomatoes, potatoes, olives, seasonal veg in general), EVERYTHING costs more than in Germany! Most things are imported! Or come from the mainland...

And don´t get me started on electricity bills...jeez...very high!

After all, this is the unhappy thread!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On 5/22/2019, 7:36:45, john g. said:

Bloody hell...hot day and was just about to take three of our dogs for their afternoon walk...when a Greek-American friend, George, called and said: " John, you know that white dog Agapi you and Nicole feed outside the village? Well, one of your Albanian neighbours, Vacilis,  just called me and said he´d witnessed a driver hit the dog and speed off. The Albanian has laid him on the grass verge next to the disused gas station. I can´t come by in the car yet. My wife is at the beach with the car and I can´t reach her."

So I had to leave our dogs at home and left the patio door open for " emergencies ". (especially Max! ).

I grabbed my rucksack and a towel and walked half an hour along the local highway, got to the gas station but couldn´t find the dog. Suddenly, the Albanian and his friend stopped, I got in their car and they showed me the dog.

He was passive and the Albanians and I did think it was Agapi (a  lady dog ).

George turned up and the strong Albanians tried to lift the dog into the car  - and one got bitten for his pains and started screaming. ( I learnt the word for tetanus in Albanian that moment..it´s " tetanus ! ")

They sped off to find a doc and George and  his wife Marta eventually found a vet who was open (the others in town were not...afternoons...siesta ).

George spoke to the vet in Greek. It turns out they have municipal elections next week and, pending legal changes,  vets are not allowed to treat strays at the moment..that´s something for the municipality authorities,  who have to decide to send someone or not and you have to leave the dog where you found it!

George winked at me ( I understood the message...ie I KNOW the dog!!).

´" I know the dog, " I said to the vet. " She´s so lovely."

Vet smiled and said: " it´s a he ."

Bloody hell...it wasn´t Agapi...but very similar looking, maybe a sibling.

" What´s his name? "

I blurted out the male form of Agapi and it is Agapios...and that worked!!!

Anyway, x-rays et al..the dog will probably recover.and tomorrow back to the vet but what then? What happens to him?

We have no space ...jeez."

IMG_1039.JPG

Update: so Agapios has been transferred from the vet to the city-appointed vet for such cases, which means he should theoretically end up in some crappy dog compound, which means he will be ignored and left to his own devices and no one will check his fractured leg regularly etc.

Better off dead, I‘m afraid.

This is Greece.

Hugs, John. I don't anything to say that wouldn't sound corny.

You tried.

4 hours ago, john g. said:

Update: so Agapios has been transferred from the vet to the city-appointed vet for such cases, which means he should theoretically end up in some crappy dog compound, which means he will be ignored and left to his own devices and no one will check his fractured leg regularly etc.

This is Greece.

Poor bloody dog. I can sense how heartbroken you are over his fate. There are so many German rescue websites for Crete alone catering for adoption for many years already. Many dogs in my neighbourhood are rescue dogs from abroad, also several from Greece. Actually, it's rare to see a purebred dog here nowadays, many are mongrols.

I'm old enough to remember that during my childhood in Wales and later as an adult in England that dogs were allowed to roam free and copulated in the streets. Puppies and kittens were drowned in buckets etc. Kastration wasn't heard of in those days. We had a German Shepherd bitch in Devon, and whenever she came on heat all the male dogs in the neighbourhood beleagured our front and back garden, so that it was impossible to let her out for a wee-wee, so that I had to chase them off before I could take her out in our garden on the lead for a pee. Minutes later they were back again, at night even sleeping on our doorstep. 

In our village in Wales I remember some dogs killed sheep and they were hunted and shot. 

In the meantime in Britain and Germany laws have changed and owners of dogs are made responsible for the welfare as well as the actions of their pets. How did that come about? Lobbyism, probably. I don't know. I wasn't so aware in those days - although I always took care that my dogs didn't roam and during their heat season prevented copulation with interested dogs. In Greece and so many other countries in the world these laws are non-existant or simply not implemented. 

It may seem harsh but if these laws existed or were implemented in Greece Agapios would probably have never been born or his breeders would be made responsible for his well-being. 

On another note, dogs are so intelligent and of such valuable service to humans in so many areas (search dogs, service dogs for the handicapped, police dogs, hospice therapy dogs, dogs trained to detect diseases in humans etc.) that it is a crime that so many of them are treated as garbage. It makes me so angry. 

6 hours ago, john g. said:

This is Greece.

Can you claim him or you already have too many?  Can you talk to some other rescuer who can claim him?

1 hour ago, bramble said:

We had a German Shepherd bitch in Devon, and whenever she came on heat all the male dogs in the neighbourhood beleagured our front and back garden, so that it was impossible to let her out for a wee-wee, so that I had to chase them off before I could take her out in our garden on the lead for a pee. Minutes later they were back again, at night even sleeping on our doorstep.

That was my dog when I was a kid.  He regularly disappeared and we had to go out and look for him.  Once he camped outside someone's house for 3 days.  I wanted to get him neutered but my dad got a pain in his testicles when I spoke of it so it never got done.

A friend of mine here in Germany has two male dogs and a female, none of them neutered.  He's like my dad with the issue.  I pointed out to him that it might help to neuter his younger male because he doesn't listen and gets agressive to their other male if the female is in heat but he just crossed his legs and whimpered.

6 hours ago, LeonG said:

A friend of mine here in Germany has two male dogs and a female, none of them neutered.  He's like my dad with the issue.  I pointed out to him that it might help to neuter his younger male because he doesn't listen and gets agressive to their other male if the female is in heat but he just crossed his legs and whimpered.

I also know men like this. It's no use arguing with them. The point though is that being in Germany, if his bitch has pups because he failed to take precautions, he is responsible for their well-being. Either he keeps them or he looks for new owners for them transferring responsibility onto them. In Greece they just throw them away and nothing is done about it. Hence all those many street dogs breeding and multiplying and nobody is responsible. 

3 hours ago, bramble said:

I also know men like this. It's no use arguing with them.

I actually got him to consider it talking about how his dog doesn't listen and will run into the street if he sees another dog etc. and if he runs in front of a car it would be a pity.  He really thought about it and voiced it to his gf but she was the one to ultimately block it .  She said that she "doesn't want to change the dogs nature" and how some people she met while walking the dogs liked his looks and wanted to breed him with their female.  He said that wanting to breed him is these other people's problem and they are not obligated to keep him intact just because some ppl they met on their walk might want to breed him.  They had actually lent the dog to these people when he was only 9 months but nothing came of it.  He's now 15 mo. old.  But his gf didn't budge.  She seems to enjoy the dogs being horny and they each have a stuffed toy to go to town with that she calls their girlfriends.  After the female dog joined the household, they will try to mate with her when she is in heat and they fight over her but so far, she's not having it.

There's not much good to be said for dog rescue in the US, but at least there are big drives for spay/neuter of dogs, and a lot of private owners do that, too.

I am more than horrified to see that 90% of the privately owned dogs I see in Germany still are intact - only the rescues are neutered, and sometimes the owners complain about it!

No wonder the local Tierheim is bursting at the seams with unwanted animals. This in efficient Germany. :(

I've been slightly involved with animal rescue in Malta. The big neuter&release drive of strays plus new strict laws against animal abuse (aka dumping in the street or on the neighboring island of Gozo) - passed because of the negative impact on tourism - had a very positive effect.

Greets, Metall??!

Interestingly enough, your point about the strict laws being passed because of the effect on tourism on Malta-

the opposite happened last year in our closest town (Agios Nikolaus ) , when the city authorities banned ( at the last minute ) a stand belonging to a foreign animal welfare group and aiming to raise funds during a local holiday festival in a tourist area: BECAUSE it would give foreign visitors a negative impression!?

By the way, I remember , last year , Nicole being in Agios one day and seeing a child crying because he had just seen a badly injured dog and the mother came along and grabbed her child and said: „ don‘t cry. It‘s only a dog.“

Nicole gave the mother a real ear- bashing!??

Interestingly enough, your point about the strict laws being passed because of the effect on tourism on Malta

Well, this was on the much smaller neighboring island of Gozo, a Maltese tourism hotspot and very cramped for space.

Packs of starving cats and dogs (most of which had been dumped by Maltese who came over on the ferry to do exactly that)  were swarming around hotels and restaurants begging for food, often in terrible condition. Very noticable, indeed.

„ don‘t cry. It‘s only a dog.“

Nicole gave the mother a real ear- bashing!??

The mother was right... 

Why do dogs differ from Crows, Sparrow, Frogs etc?

There is a reason why they have the expression "Dog eat dog"....   Its never said about Hamsters, weasels or Rabbits...

16 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

The mother was right... 

I beg to differ.

16 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Why do dogs differ from Crows, Sparrow, Frogs etc?

Because they are domesticated.

17 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

There is a reason why they have the expression "Dog eat dog"...   Its never said about Hamsters, weasels or Rabbits...

There's also a reason why there's the expression "Man's best friend" which is only said of the dog, never hamsters, weasels, rabbits or any other animal. 

1 minute ago, bramble said:

I beg to differ.

Because they are domesticated.

There's also a reason why there's the expression "Man's best friend" which is only said of the dog, never hamsters, weasels, rabbits or any other animal. 

Most are wild dogs and not domesticated...  

Why is it "Mans" best friend?  Not "Womans" best friend?...

Its too late to argue... and not only that... I dont wish to fall out with you... 

11 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Most are wild dogs and not domesticated...  

Stray dogs are not wild dogs. You obviously don't know the difference between wild dogs and domesticated dogs. 

15 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Why is it "Mans" best friend?  Not "Womans" best friend?...

You're joking. You don't know that "man" in this sense means human? Which includes woman, of course. 

17 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Its too late to argue... and not only that... I dont wish to fall out with you... 

Too late. You're in my bad books now.